Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quick help needed please!

I think my 6 week old has colic. I don't know what to do since my three y.o. son never had this problem. if the baby's awake, she wants to eat, otherwise she cries. We've tried tummy time to see if she has gas, I nursed her, but she ultimately fusses and pulls off. She's in a clean diaper. my husband is trying to march her around the house. we've been doing some Similac recently b/c my production is not keeping up with her so we thought that could be the problem, but she's been like this since day 1. any thoughts?
TIA, Kelli

Could this be reflux? How would I know?

Advertisement

drkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Quick help needed please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkelli View Post
I think my 6 week old has colic. I don't know what to do since my three y.o. son never had this problem. if the baby's awake, she wants to eat, otherwise she cries. We've tried tummy time to see if she has gas, I nursed her, but she ultimately fusses and pulls off. She's in a clean diaper. my husband is trying to march her around the house. we've been doing some Similac recently b/c my production is not keeping up with her so we thought that could be the problem, but she's been like this since day 1. any thoughts?
TIA, Kelli

Could this be reflux? How would I know?
hey mama i would call your LLL and cut out dairy, my dd had colic and reflux and cutting out diary in my diet helped ALOT! also put that baby in a sling! they really help with colic, if ya need one, pm me i have one i can give ya super cheap!
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh man, I love my dairy! I do have a HS, I'll try it now....
Old 06-15-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkelli View Post
Oh man, I love my dairy! I do have a HS, I'll try it now....
oo mama soooooo do i! and now that dd is 9 months i can sneak in a bowl of edys ice cream here and there, she still spits all over me, but its not painful to her tummy, kwim? she isnt screaming anymore.. also, hylands makes a homeopathic colic tablet, again if you cant find it near ya and need it, let me know! our local drugstore carries them!
Old 06-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried Hylands teething tablets for colic or gas? Those are GREAT and are 100% safe for babies and adults alike. You can find them at almost any natural food store.

Mandi
Old 06-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So I tried my HS, it wasn't working. Found the Soothie pacifier and she curled up into my DH and went right to sleep. maybe she was overtired. but what NB can't fall asleep? i will def look into those tablets. i'm doing a search right now.
I also know some people advocate chamomile tea, but that makes me a little nervous...
thanks so much for your help!
Old 06-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Found the Hyland's...these are safe for NBs?
Old 06-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

maybe she gets over stimulated.. my first born was that way.. she couldnt handle chaos.. so if its too bright or a tv on, maybe it irks her.. when she starts to get ansy i would take her into your room, where its dark and quiet and nurse her there...
Old 06-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used alot of the techniques from Happiest Baby on the Block book with my son, quite sucessfully.

The authors basic idea is that newborn humans are too imature neurologically when they are born and colic is the result of that immaturity. If you do things to mimic the womb they are happier.

Alot of it worked really well when my son was little. He really did well with the swaddling, binky, shh!! sounds and rocking. They have a video and a book. The video is kind of cheesy, but if you don't have time to read the book its helpful.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
Thrice Blessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimama View Post
We used alot of the techniques from Happiest Baby on the Block book with my son, quite sucessfully.

The authors basic idea is that newborn humans are too imature neurologically when they are born and colic is the result of that immaturity. If you do things to mimic the womb they are happier.

Alot of it worked really well when my son was little. He really did well with the swaddling, binky, shh!! sounds and rocking. They have a video and a book. The video is kind of cheesy, but if you don't have time to read the book its helpful.

don't forget turning baby on side-this was critical for my LO
WE checked out the DVD from the library (I had read the book prior)-awesome stuff-swaddling is the first step-tightly!!!! My LO responded well with the head jiggle. After swaddling, I held him on his side in my arms and bounced gently from side to side so that his head wiggled a little, kinda like he was saying "no,no,no,no"-it's very gentle-worked like a charm.