Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any other 12 month old DC not self feed?

I have an EBF DS who is bright and met all other milestones on time but will not self feed. He has never had an interest to put things in his mouth. He will take a sippy cup but won't hold it, eats well from a spoon at mealtime, but refuses to pick up food or eat any offered on his tray. I have tried offering everything from tiny fruit pieces to pudding.

Anyone else have DC who refuse to self feed? Any advice on ways to get him more interested in self feeding?

Advertisement

ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
MNmomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any other 12 month old DC not self feed?

No help because we are having similar problems with my 11 month old - super quick with everything else, but refuses to feed herself (solids, sippy cup, bottles) and is not very brave when it comes to food in general.

MNmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At 12 months my DS wasnt self feeding either.. in fact he was still eating primarily jarred babyfood and infant cereal spoonfed to him. Id watch it, but if your DC still isnt self feeding by about 14-15 mo Id contact your local early intervention program. DS (17 mo now) is in Birth to Three (EI) and has made great progress since working w/ his speech therapist for feeding issues. Hes self feeding well and eating a variety of table foods. But for now just keep offering and when your DC is ready theyll take it.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. I really was not very worried until I saw lots of younger kids at Moms Club self feeding.
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
2N_MyArms_1N_TheOven
Registered Users

My Mood:

neither one of my boys were self feeding at 12 months, they were both pretty much only nursed til then and had VERY little interest in solids period. Once I weaned them they just wanted me to feed them for awhile then slowly transitioned to self feeding. i didnt feel any need to hurry them, it was actualy nice not to deal with the mess, LOL.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would rather just let him tell me when he is ready but sometimes I get into the whole milestones game.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
orteggleston
Registered Users
seller
seller

My first son didn't really care to self feed at 12 months...he hated (still does) to get his hands dirty and preferred that someone else did the feeding.

My younger son (just turned 1) will not eat unless he can do it himself...

I wouldn't worry. He just might not be ready yet

ISO: Luxe Baby Wool
orteggleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD does self feed, but I know I was doing reading on the chance she might have issues with it. I remember one book saying to sit your baby down at mealtime and let him watch YOU eat with your hands. So eat something that can be eaten with fingers, not something like speghetti or jello (lol). And then put pieces of different things in front of them and just see what happens. The author puts emphasis on the fact that it can take a few weeks before you see improvment. But the important thing is that you dont ALWAYS feed them yourself...otherwise they won't ever have a REASON to feed themselves. Ok, I hope that made sense. My brain is just frazzled!

Have you tried asking your Pediatrician for tips?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
ThreeBunniesMoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 16mo and still is pretty much EBF. She didn't really start eating food or wanting anythign but the boob until 14 months. Now at 16mo she eats 3 meals a day with snacks, loves her sippy with water only (will not accept EBM or whole milk in it). She also is still nursing 3-5 times a day.