Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
ashandri
Registered Users
seller

refusing a bottle...help please:)

Hi...My little one took a bottle of breast milk around 5 weeks. She did it easily for the next few weeks and then started refusing it. She acts like she has no clue. She doesn't scream. We put the bottle in her mouth and she just sits there and looks up at you. She will gag if some of the milk drips in her mouth. Otherwise, she just makes a horrible face. We have tried all the typical things like different nipples, having daddy give the bottle, holding her like she was breastfeeding, etc. I have even tried rice cereal...she is almost 5 months. She wants nothing but the breast. It is not a huge deal, but I would like to be able to leave her for a few hours once in awhile and at this point I can't. I have read about a finger feeder by medela and a breast flow bottle by first years. Any thoughts on those or any other suggestions would be greatly suggested.....THANKS!!!

Advertisement

ashandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: refusing a bottle...help please:)

hahaha... I'm prisoner to my 4-1/2 month old "boob only!" DD. same deal, she took a bottle at 6 weeks, but now she goes "guess again!"
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

I can't help you either, except to say....wait untill she is older. Be thankful it is the bottle she is refusing, as alot of babies will refuse the breast because the bottle is easier. The sucking for breast vs. bottle are completly differant. Can you try a cup (open top) or syringe? Neither of these methods would cause "nipple confusion" good luck.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom said I would not leave her alone until I was 24mo. I went from boob to cup - no bottle, ever.

My mom wanted to go out once, so my dad stuck a bottle under his armpit to try to get me to eat. I was fooled for about 2 sucks - then it was back to screaming my head off. He never "let" my mom leave me again.
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
KristiG
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great question. I have a 9 month old who STILL wont take a bottle OR drink from a sippy cup. He does exactly like yours baby is doing!! It's crazy to me. He does like to try to drink from a regular cup though. Oh well hope you have better luck than me.
KristiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
julucas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also had a booby baby. Although she'll take a sippy cup now. The best luck I had was the First Years Breastflow bottles. She would *sometimes* take it. Not all the time, but then again I didn't make her. I stay home, so there wasn't a gigantic need. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the same boat. My 6 month old will not take a bottle. Even if it has breastmilk in it. MIL said to give it to her once a day to get her used to it...but honestly...thats too much work for me. She'll only be on the bottle for 4.5 months anyway and it'll probably take a few months to get her to accept it.

While SOMETIMES, it stinks that I can't be away from her for more than a few hours....I get all warm and fuzzy inside too cause she wuvs her mama

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Keep trying.. my friend just went through a similar thing with her 4 month old. He would take a bottle no problem until she tried weaning him and he went on a bottle boycott. But after a couple weeks of consistently trying he started taking it again and is now completely bottle fed.

I cant offer to much help though, since my kids never had a problem taking a bottle (maybe because both received supplements by bottle from birth?). DD is 6 mo and switches from breast to bottle with ease. DS on the other hand ended up sompletely bottle (formula) fed because he was never able to nurse efficiently.. turns out he has oral motor delays which most likely contributed to the nursing problems.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
luvmykiddoes
COOP HOSTESS
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My dd did the same thing. From 4 days old I had to give her supplements and one day, around 2 1/2 months old, she just up and decided she didn't like the bottles anymore. I tried every bottle you can imagine. We ended up with Dr. Brown's being the only one she takes. I suggest trying every bottle until you find "the" one.

luvmykiddoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd did that too at about four months. I'm a SAHM so I didn't push the issue (I hated pumping anyway). We started her on solids soon after so when I left her which wasn't often or for very long, I'd make sure that dh or my mom (the two people I left her with) had something she would eat around.