Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:06 AM   #1
jens-closet
Registered Users
seller

oh my gosh the child will no longer sleep! HELP ME!

Oh wise mamas, please help a FTP. My DS, 23 weeks old, is no longer sleeping well. Until about 4 weeks ago, he was waking up 1 time per night for a little BM snack. Then, he started waking up 2x per night and voiced his discomfort. Over the weekend he started back to 3x per night wanting a BM snack!!! He doesn't want his pacifier to help him back to sleep, and he doesn't want to just "cuddle." The only thing that will calm him is a snack.

We don't think his teeth/gums are bothering him, because we tried teething tablets and they don't seem to calm him down (they have worked for us before when his gums/teeth were achy).

We've also tried adjusting his swaddle wrap and checked his body temperature, and those are not it either. He doesn't have a fever, and he doesn't have an earache (as far as anyone can tell...).

I am just worried that he is unhappy about something. I don't mind to feed him in the middle of the night, but do you think he is needing more calories? The doctors are telling us to wait for solids until 6 months, but he is an ACTIVE ACTIVE baby, so do you think he might need more now? What do you ladies think? What else might I be missing???

Thank you thank you thank you in advance for any helpful tips. Everytime I post a parenting dilemma you mamas are so helpful!

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: oh my gosh the child will no longer sleep! HELP ME!

We have been having this problem with our son as well, he is just 4 days older than yours. I have had many suggestions from friends, family, and the wonderful women here and this is what has worked for us. We have adjusted his naps in accordance to the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby book, in that he goes down for his AM nap within 1 1/2 -2 hours of waking. He takes an afternoon nap about 3 hours after he wakes from AM nap. He gets lots of AM sunshine and activity before the AM nap. And his bedtime is around 7:30 PM. The book offers many levels of CIO, so I was comfortable with that- we could choose exactly how WE wanted to go about this, rather than being told, "do it this way." Also, DS gets one solid meal a day. Usually in the late afternoon, early evening. That seems to help as well. I hope this helps. The book I mentioned earlier really helped us as well. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Inkdboy
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I would try adjusting your LO's sleep pattern a little...But just do it slowly...

I would first start off with nightime...
If your putting him to bed at 7:30 each night adjust it by 5 minutes..

For some reason, and maybe its just me...But babies and infants go to sleep at a later bed time...

Or another suggestion would be to dream-feed your LO, just when your getting ready to turn in for bed... That may be enough to curb the appetite..
It could possibly be that your LO is going through a growth spurt...
Inkdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
2babiesndiaps
Banned

I would guess its a growth spurt and will go back to less wakings in a week or two. I would ride through it and sleep when the baby sleeps if you can. Hugs!! That's a hard time!
2babiesndiaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
jens-closet
Registered Users
seller

Thanks to the mamas who have responded, I feel like I am starting to calm down from fear, panic, and exhaustion! Any other ideas?