Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
Choose2bgr8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have a screamer?

I started babysitting a little girl who SCREAMS all the time Drives me up the wall. Talked to the mom about it, she says she has always screamed. Since birth. Anyone have a good way of handling a screamer?

Advertisement

Choose2bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a screamer?

Mostly time...has the mother talked to the ped about it? Have they considered reflux? DJ was like this till he was around 6 months old. He would just all of a sudden start screaming and sometimes it would last for hours...no matter what we did. As he got older, the fits got less frequent but even now at almost 2 years old, he still occasionally has them. He also sometimes goes into a screaming fit in his sleep at night! Very frustrating...I wish had a better answer for you...
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd2 sreamed 24 ours a day for the first 7 months of her life. it was so bad that my family wouldnt even invite us over for brithday parties becaseu she cried so much. hubby and i would take shifts. letteraly 3 hour shifts. he wuld work weird hours and it was horrid. '
I cannot rememember what worked. the whole first year with ehr was a blur, in the hossy 4 times with her, and just complete lack of food and sleep.

i am sorry the bahy you are watching is driving you nuts, but please, if you cant take it, let the mama know... She would rather know you are struggling and find someone else i am sure.
Maybe a man should baby sit the baby. at least my hubby was always able to tune it outLOL

hang in there
Old 06-25-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Goodness, wish I had a solution for you...

Looking back on the years that I did childcare, I wish I would have remembered more often that it was my life & if a child was disrupting the flow of the childcare & my life, to let that child go... if need be, you could even help the mama find another provider, maybe a nanny or someone who could hold/sling the baby the entire time, if that would help...

I wish you the best, with whatever you decide to do! Childcare is a rewarding, but sometimes stressful job!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

How old is she?
love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom2chris
How old is she?
My son went through a screaming phase just a short while ago; he doesn't talk at all, so his way of communicating with us was screaming until we guessed whatever it is he wanted. We taught him some signs and the screaming has ceased (or at least decreased dramatically!)
Old 06-26-2006, 04:37 AM   #7
Choose2bgr8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She is 2 and just learning to talk really. I know that is part of the problem. I have been working on ASL with her (and my girls) and her mom says her language has increased since she came to us.

I don't run a daycare center. It is just her and my girls. She has only been with us a month and her mom, before I started sitting, asked us to really make sure we were ready to take this on and that if we did take it on they wanted us to do it for 3 years.

I am going to give her more time. Some days her screaming.......

Oh, and I want to add that my youngest dd does not help matters. Most of the time it is L's fault that S is screaming because they are both 2 and think that everything is theirs. Sharing is not a concept they can grasp yet.

Oh, and I tried to post a reply a couple days ago, but it didn't work. She doesn't scream all the time. Just when things aren't going her way.

I don't want to "get rid of her", I desire to help her.
Choose2bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:44 AM   #8
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think i totally misread your first post...
I think it is good that you were warned she had some issues when it comes to certain things. My 2yo also screams like she is being killed when things arent going her way,. as hard as it is. i just have to keep doing what i am doing. I have just started puting her in her roomwhen she starts to throw a fit. maybe a calm down area will work. Not time out, per say, but a place where she can go to calm down, where the other kdis can leave her alone. and maybe after a few minutes you can go talk to her??
I am sure it is so hard. I have my kdis relaly close togheter and some days i just want to hide becassue no one is happy and everyone is screaming and fighting. but other days i just love sitting with them. my 2 yo is the only one of my kids that has gone thru the terrible 2s. but this i mean full on temper tantums. telling me know. spitting at me. hitting me. Not pretty. but i try with all my might to hold my gorund. and in the last few weeks i have actually seen some improvement. I also thing that a big part is my kids all start talking later than the norm... and when they are not out right talking, it makes it so hard on them
It sounds like you are taking a wonderful approach though, and it is so sweet of you to take this on for 3 years... though i bet by the end of the first year, she will be perfectly fine, and a wonderfual addition to you'family'

hang in there mama, sound like you are doing a wonderful job
Old 06-26-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just about to post a question like this. My dd (almost 21 mos. ) just started the screaming/shrieking thing. She does it mostly when she is frustrated (wants something she can't have, to get out of the carseat, etc.) It is driving dh and I CRAZY!! Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do about it? Part of me thinks we should not make a big deal in response to it bc that might make her do it more, but at the same time, I want her to know that this is not an acceptable way to vent her frustration. Thoughts, please!!
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote