Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
aliks
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you carry an epi-pen for your child......

maybe something like this? http://www.medicool.com/diabetes/dia...ravel_frio.php
I'm getting one for insulin but not sure if that would be too cold.

Advertisement

aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
rachaelmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I carry one for me as I am allergic to bee stings, and they seem to be attracted to me. I have a little case, not sure where I got it, that has the lunch box material in it. It keeps it well insulated from temp exteremes, I take it with me everywhere. A few summers back, we went on a two week backpacking trip in the grand canyon. The LAST day of the trip, I was stung! I had my epi and used it, it worked just fine, even after being out in the heat all that time.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamandeyuri View Post
Tiffer- if your son ever has a reaction to a bee sting you can give him liquid benadryl on your way to the hosp- I had to do that once. The test for bee stings is very long and not that reliable. That's what my allergist told me.
Thanks! DH is like, deathly allergic, so I've been worried Jack might be as well. We have benedryl, but I don't tend to carry it with me since it spills. I have one in a ziplock from travelling, I need to throw it in the diaper bag as a JIC thing.

I don't plan on having him tested, it would be too traumatic for him right now. Eventually maybe, but not for a loooooooong time!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I keep one epi in the medicine cabinet, and one in the diaperbag. I also keep liquid benadril in the diaperbag. My sister lives across the street from the pool, so I've just been leaving the epi there because I don't want to ruin it.

I asked my allergist what he suggested to do as far as the pool and he was kinda stumped. He said I could wrap it in a hand towel and put it in a ziploc bag with an ice cube or two, since it wouldn't be enough to freeze it, and the heat would melt the ice anyway.

I'm just super parnoid about Logan having a reaction and the epi not working because I baked it!
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #15
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Thanks! DH is like, deathly allergic, so I've been worried Jack might be as well. We have benedryl, but I don't tend to carry it with me since it spills. I have one in a ziplock from travelling, I need to throw it in the diaper bag as a JIC thing.
Our allergist told me to carry these instead of the liquid:
http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=249
They are children's benadryl fast melt tabs. They are individually sealed tablets that melt in your mouth. One tablet is the same as one teaspoon of children's benadryl liquid. This way I'm not carrying around a bottle with me. I found them at Walmart and a couple other pharmacies, but not everywhere has them.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weddell View Post
Our allergist told me to carry these instead of the liquid:
http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=249
They are children's benadryl fast melt tabs. They are individually sealed tablets that melt in your mouth. One tablet is the same as one teaspoon of children's benadryl liquid. This way I'm not carrying around a bottle with me. I found them at Walmart and a couple other pharmacies, but not everywhere has them.
However, if your dc is allergic to milk, they're not a good idea since they have milk products in them
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #17
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have no need for an epi pen here. But I had an idea. Would a insulated baby bottle cooler thing work to keep it cool? Just a thought.

Maybe something like this bottlerocket. I have been eying up the sippie rocket and Bequicks.

http://expressivetoys.com/jubosiro.html
Old 06-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #18
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good to know....we just got ours about a month ago. Our ped. said one was for my purse, and one for school but now I know for sure. Also I was one of those kids with SUPER bad asthma.....like think-you're-going-to-die type attacks and I used/had these injected several times. My mom, while very conscientious, may have not always kept these (not Epi-Pen, but epi shots) at the right temp. In a life threatening condition, I wouldn't hesitate to use one regardless of whether it had been kept at the right temp or not. Bottom line in that scenario you just don't have time to contemplate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyla View Post
I just got off the phone with a pharmacist at epi pen. Here is what she told me (in my words ) I have to get a new epi pen because I have "cooked" the product and it might not be good anymore. She also told me that your epi pen should be fine as long as you are with it. She said that the epi pens tend to like simular temperatures as us(she stated it like this ). I asked about beach and things like that and she told me they recomend in situations where it is hot to try and find ways to keep it cooler (mabey put it in an insalated bag) So if you are going out and about it should be fine in the diaper bag or purse but never ever for any reason leave it in you vehicle I wish I had known this sooner.
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 AM   #19
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I carry epi-pen Jr. in my pocket book..
I was told by my doctor that it comes in a 2 pack becasue he'd need another dose in about 30 minutes probably. I don't bring it to the pool or beach (places like that) because they have them in there first aid kits (provided there is a first aid station) DH is an EMT and doesn't worry about it if we are in a place where there is first aid care....it just wouldn't work anyway if not stored properly
Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #20
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have had a epipen (while the olderstyle first) since I was 2 yrs old. I always have AT LEAST 2 of them on me. I have very severe reactions to bee stings. I take them everywhere. Beach, baseball, you name it. I just usually stick my bag under a tree in the shade. I have never had a bad problem with that. My pharma told me as long as I dont stick it in the oven or freezer its all good! I'm sure if you called the epi manufactures and they told tyou to get another one....well its probably because they are so darned expensive. I pay 80$ (for 1) and thats in Canada! And then they expire. Yah this subject irritates me.....i'm sure your epi is fine if not you can tell if the epinepherine has gone bad, by holding the pen into the light (you should do this check 1 x a month anyhow) look through the little "window" in the side. It should look clear. When it goes "bad" it will look cloudy. HTH.