Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! Need Menu for Camping.

We're going camping for 5 days and I need menu ideas; things that are easy, healthy, maybe pre-cooked. I don't want to spent the week cooking and cleaning mess!

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
ccinadr
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Help! Need Menu for Camping.

I took some girls on a Girl Scout camp out last year, and we did things like scrambled eggs, and one thing a parent suggested, and I would have never thought of, was mac and cheese. Now let me warn you, things take alot longer to cook, for instance, the water took for ever to come to a boil. But it worked and was very filling.

Things like pb&j are good too. Think sandwiches and baked beans or chips.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Skye5000us
Registered Users

My Mood:

trail mix
baked potatoes
mountain pies (bread with a bit of olive oil/butter with either cheese or pie filling (easier to transport) cooked in a pie iron...YUMMMMM
HTH

Skye5000us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
cameransmommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye5000us View Post
trail mix
baked potatoes
mountain pies (bread with a bit of olive oil/butter with either cheese or pie filling (easier to transport) cooked in a pie iron...YUMMMMM
HTH

MMMMMMMmmm, anything cooked in a pie iron is yummy! I say get a few of them ( i saw them at target) and plan on grilled cheese with tomato, those rolls of biscuts with canned stew or chili, bread with apple pie filling, cinnamon buns, etc.

You can also make those little foil packs of meat and veggies and place on grill or fire.

Sandwiches are great for lunch with some carrot sticks or celery. Make up some sesame noodles to keep in the cooler, those keep for a long time.

I really hate to clean a bunch of dishes and pots while camping, so i do everythign humanly possible to use as little as possible!
cameransmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
gfarley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A big roll of aluminum foil. Camper's best friend. You wrap up anything meat, veggies and place near coals.

Also corn on the cob is fun. When we had a fire on the beach we removed the silk without removing the husk. Peel husk down not off. Dunk corn in water put husk back up and place on the perimeter of the fire. Quite yummy no clean up.

Soup is good.

You can precook your chicken and keep cool then just warm it up no raw chicken dishes. Same for ground beef. Precook and freeze ahead. Then it will stay cold longer in cooler. Great for casserole (pre cooked macaroni, precooked ground beef or turkey, can of tomato sauce and spices) Heat. Good for tacos precooked meat with taco spices, prediced tomatoes, store bought shredded cheese and lettuce. The shells can be warmed in yes you guessed it aluminum foil.

I would prepare as much at home where there is a sink, dishwasher, etc. Freezer what you can since it will stay cold longer. I can only eat so many sandwiches.

You could probably warm up frozen waffles in the foil with yogurt and fruit on top for breakfast.

Just an idea.
Gwen
gfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
Daizy Nee
Registered Users

My Mood:

- Bring soft flour tortillas and ahead of time make a brown rice mixture with veggies & protein. (the last one I made was curry veggies w. tofu and it was sooooo good) when your hungry, just spoon onto tortillas. Even yummier if you spread avacado on the tortilla first These are great cold but you can warm them up on the grill too.

- Bagels & cream cheese

- tuna mac made ahead of time

- scrambled eggs

- hard boiled eggs made ahead of time

- pack yogurts and cheese stix in sealed tupperwares
Old 06-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We camp every year for a week with no electric or hot water...I fix nothing different than I do at home.Everything cooks with a camp stove...even toast with a camp toaster- a couple of dollars at walmart.And fresh morning coffee purculated.
It is the only time I use non stick dishes all year and paper plates.We heat the water while we eat and it only takes a few minutes to wash the cooking dishes.
Our normal is
Breakfast-pancakes or sausage eggs and toast
Lunch-sandwich and chips as we are parked on the water at the ocean literally
Supper-meat side veggies and a salad at least one night fresh caught fish dinner
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
Monzie
Registered Users

Don't forget the old campfire standby, "beanie weenie"....a can of baked beans with sliced hotdogs tossed in. Pass around ketchup and mustard for anybody who likes that. Serve with skillet cornbread and s'mores for dessert (of course!). It was always a big hit when I was a Girl Scout.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad this was posted.. We are planning a camp trip for the 4th of july weekend!
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #10
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we go camping over the 4th every year, it kind of depends on HOW and Where you are camping that I make menus.
If we are tent camping things are a bit different, as is the area from our camper on the back of the truck that we use when we camp by water boating etc. And, do you have a camp stove (we have a propane one we use daily when we are camping- it was very cheap and doesn't heat up the area everyone is at)

We premake things like - Breakfast Burritos (just scrambled eggs, cheese etc in a tortilla), wrap them individually in foil and you can cook (reheat) them over fire.

Lunch you can take sandwich fixins- we always have pbj available.

We do lots of hamburgers and hotdogs.

I always do some kind of fish (wrapped in foil with some lemmon, pepper and butter, onions if you like too, its great)

This year we are premaking taco meat and just reheating it and putting in hard shells with some shredded cheese and salsa.

Also you can precook spaghetti sauce (if you do the meat and such) and precook and freeze the spaghetti or other noodles and heat those up together.

Salads keep well, Pasta, potato, even regular green salads. Fruit does well too, and of course pretzels and such for snacks.

We do cereal camping too, we do quick and easy because we like spending most of our time on the water when we are out during the summer.

(and we JUST found camping stoves for the boat... too bad the boat isn't "ours" although we have had possesion and use of it for over 5 years, so I don't think modifying it would be a good idea)

You could even make icecream if you were adventurous/ bored. (they have the balls near the ice cream makers in wally world, they make 1qt to 1/2 gallon of ice cream depending on the size ball you choose.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote