Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
ccinadr
Registered Users

My Mood:
road trip food for 3 kids and their momma

Hi everyone,

I need some snack and lunch ideas for our trip from New Mexico to Texas (two days of driving). On the way here, I made some wraps for us to eat the first day, and had trail mix we made at home, and cheese and tomatoes to snack on. But the second day, my ice packs were not cold anymore, and we had to eat out all day. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Last edited by ccinadr; 06-18-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: wrong word
ccinadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
suzhatch1
Registered Users
seller

Re: road trip food for 3 kids and their momma

I'm subbing to this thread because I'll be curious to hear some creative suggestions as well. We're taking a road trip next month & will have the same dilema for a 2-day drive. I figure if we stop & stay in a hotel, I can re-freeze the icepacks in the mini-fridge (if there is one in the hotel). But otherwise, my brain is limited to thoughts of dry goods like chips, Pirate Booty, fruit, trail mix, etc. Be curious to hear if there is any creative ideas out there that we can try for our trip too.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could always freeze the individual drink boxes/baggies. That will help keep things cool at first and when defrosted still be cold enough to drink. Lets see what else....Fruit, but not the messy kind. No mangoes or pineapples or watermelon unless the kiddos are very clean, lol. but, maybe apples? A bag of apples doesn't cost that much and it's a filling snack. bananas will get mushed up, so that's no good to eat while in the car, but if you're taking some cereal and milk and chop up a banana in their bowl, it will make it a bit more hearty. Pears are solid enough to not get too mushed up. Dried fruit is always a good option since it's sweet enough to make them think it's candy but good enough for them to keep you calm. I think if you freeze most of the individual drinks (water bottles, juices, etc.) leaving only enough for the first day (or half that day, since they will slowly melt during the day) to drink, that will help keep things cool. Also, if you can, either get a beach towel or a blanket and put it in the floor of the car under the kids. That way any crumbs or juice they spill in the car can be shaken out quickly without messing up the rug.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy

Last edited by sourpatch_babe; 06-18-2007 at 02:25 PM.
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
prairieflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

don't forget, if you stay in a hotel, you can probably get free ice from their machine. we refilled our cooler before checkout on our recent trip from AL to TX.

Freezing drinks is a good idea. I like to buy those yogurts in tubes and freeze them, too.

We always bring fresh and dried fruits, granola/bars. Bring bread and a shelf-stable spread like almond or peanut butter or nutella. you can make sammies, eat the nut butters w/ fruit, or even just on a spoon. I buy carrots and celery-- they keep, even for a little while at room temp. Cheerios make good road-food, too. Yummy dry, and you can either freeze and bring milk, or buy small bottles on the way.

Bring instant oatmeal, you can get hot water at most gas stations, hotel lobbies, even some rest stops. My DH stirs nutella into his oatmeal.

My mom always brought a bit-o-honey candy bar along, I swear it was to keep us quiet when we got too chatty, lol. They're so chewy.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
suzhatch1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieflower View Post
My mom always brought a bit-o-honey candy bar along, I swear it was to keep us quiet when we got too chatty, lol. They're so chewy.
Oh my goodness!! I just got the biggest craving for a Bit-O-Honey bar I haven't had one of those for years!! Now you've done it.....I'll be on a crazy mission searching stores high & low for BOH.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
ccinadr
Registered Users

My Mood:

ok, those ideas sound good... I had not thought about the yogurt tubes, and don't they make applesauce tubes too?

anyway, let me ask this: do you like to stop and eat meals? or just stop at the picnic or rest stops on the way?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
prairieflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccinadr View Post
ok, those ideas sound good... I had not thought about the yogurt tubes, and don't they make applesauce tubes too?

anyway, let me ask this: do you like to stop and eat meals? or just stop at the picnic or rest stops on the way?

I think there is applesauce in tubes, too! If not, there are those individual serving containers of it.

I like stopping at parks, rest stops, picnic areas. I can lay down in the grass, nurse DS, play and relax. It was a good break for all of us. I did grab side salads at a fast food joint a couple times-- I wanted something fresh and they're cheap.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
prairieflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhatch1 View Post
Oh my goodness!! I just got the biggest craving for a Bit-O-Honey bar I haven't had one of those for years!! Now you've done it.....I'll be on a crazy mission searching stores high & low for BOH.
I do what I can. Heehee.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, don't discount supermarkets. Last time we went road tripping, we stopped at supermarkets to buy one of their rotissiere chickens and a loaf of their freshly baked bread. There's nothing tastier than eating chicken with buttered bread..mmmmm.craving. You can also get cheap subs and assorted meal items ( potato salad, fried chicken, pasta salad) for much less than stopping and buying the same things at a fast food joint. And rest stops and parks make the best picnic memories.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:13 AM   #10
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

maybe for the first day you could do something perishable, that won't keep, like say you could bbq or fry chicken and have have that for lunch/dinner depending on when you leave, and for lunch the following day you could do peanut butter and jelly with applesauce or chips. For snacks you could get those fruit coctail cups, applesauce, raisins, granola bars, pudding, fruits that keep well. Hope you have a good trip.