Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #11
Knitmama
Registered Users

Re: Nationwide Nurse In at Victoria Secrets July 1st @1pm!!

Not hearsay! The MA incident was last week and happened to someone I know. Here's a link to the article in the Boston Herald:

www.tinyurl.com/oywow

Advertisement

Knitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #12
Frog
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Heres an update ...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=474528

From what it says here ..said mama was advised to cancel nurse in..if Im reading correctly
Old 06-26-2006, 07:06 AM   #13
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitmama
Not hearsay! The MA incident was last week and happened to someone I know. Here's a link to the article in the Boston Herald:

www.tinyurl.com/oywow
See, I know the press's job is to sensationalize but the problem I have with the article is this: A Quincy mother says she was humiliated when an employee of the lingerie franchise’s Faneuil Hall store flatly refused to allow her to breast-feed her daughter, directing her to a public restroom outside.

“I was upset. I was embarrassed. My heart was breaking for my daughter,” said Jessie Chandler, who ended up going home to feed her 9-month-old daughter, Charlotte. “I felt powerless to do anything.”

My understanding from what the mama originally posted on MDC is that they didn't kick her out of the store or ask her not to nurse or anything of the sort...she was not shopping in the store and just came in and asked to use a dressing room and they told her that she couldn't do that. Is it just me? I would never just walk into a store off the street and ask to use a dressing room to take care of the baby...I wouldn't expect them to let me. If I had been shopping for a while and a need arose, *maybe*, but the store employees had no way of knowing that she was intending to shop after her daughter settled down. All they knew was that the store was crowded and actual customers were using the dressing rooms for what they were intended for. If this mama had plopped down in a corner to nurse and been asked to leave, then I would feel very differently about the whole incident.

Also, like I said before, I love the irony of VS giving us a hard time for bf and the images that come to mind when you first hear about it, but the statement in this article that they have posters and models showing more than a bf mama would is completely irrelevant in this situation. No one objected to her showing as much as she needed to...what they objected to was a non-customer (at least as far as they knew) tying up a dressing room to feed the baby.

I agree that it was an unfortunate situation and I feel for the mama, but I think it is being twisted and blown out of proportion. That's just my opinion though...
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:08 AM   #14
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
Heres an update ...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=474528

From what it says here ..said mama was advised to cancel nurse in..if Im reading correctly
Hmmm...am I missing something? I don't see anything about cancelling? The MA legislature is supposed to be considering the NIP law on June 30 so they want to do something downtown in Boston before that to draw attention to that instead of to the whole VS thing (well, in addition to, I guess). That actually makes a whole lot more sense to me than the VS nurse-in anyway...as some others stated.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:54 AM   #15
Knitmama
Registered Users

The new info is that since July 1 was published in the paper and widely publicized, that is the date the nurse-in should happen.

Bfoster, nursing mothers should have the right to feed their hungry babies anywhere they happen to be. This wasn't about the dressing rooms being full. It was about the employee thinking (and saying) that breastfeeding was too unsanitary to be appropriate for a VS store. Babies don't care one bit where they are; they just need their needs to be met. As a mother, that's my priority. I never would have asked permission in the first place.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #16
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitmama
Bfoster, nursing mothers should have the right to feed their hungry babies anywhere they happen to be. This wasn't about the dressing rooms being full. It was about the employee thinking (and saying) that breastfeeding was too unsanitary to be appropriate for a VS store. Babies don't care one bit where they are; they just need their needs to be met. As a mother, that's my priority. I never would have asked permission in the first place.

I agree with you wholeheartedly...I wouldn't have asked to use the dressing room either, I would have just done it where I was. All I'm saying is that the employee didn't tell her she couldn't do that, she told her she couldn't use the dressing room. If the mama had just started nursing in the store and been asked to stop, that would have been wrong and I'd be all over it but that's not what happened. I also agree that the "unsanitary" comment was dumb, but as many accounts of this story as I've read now, part of me wonders what exactly the sales associate meant by that. One interpretation is that she meant that feeding the baby in there would be unsanitary for the customers changing clothes (that seems to be what most people think). Another interpretation is that because of all the people in there changing, it would be unsanitary for the baby to eat there (I have to agree!). The way the comment was worded in one of the accounts I read, that's what it made me think...of course she did suggest using a restroom which doesn't make it sound like she was too concerned for the baby.

Anyway, I agree that mothers should be able to nurse anytime and anyplace, I just don't think that's the issue here. No one has been told that they can't nurse in the store, no one has been asked to leave or cover up (except possibly the one mama and she was "offered" another place to go, not forced). No one has been threatened or harassed for nursing in the store. Both of the first two cases involved a non-customer coming in off the street and asking to use a dressing room to feed...if the dressing rooms were empty, ok, maybe that's not an unreasonable request, but if the store was busy and customers needed the dressing rooms for trying on clothes, then I think the store is perfectly within their rights to say that the dressing rooms are for customers only and for trying clothes only. It would have been nice if the mama had been offered a chair or made to feel welcome to nurse right out in the store but honestly, that's never happened to me anywhere I've NIPed.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #17
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

ITA with Bfoster 150%
Old 06-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #18
Frog
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000
Hmmm...am I missing something? I don't see anything about cancelling? The MA legislature is supposed to be considering the NIP law on June 30 so they want to do something downtown in Boston before that to draw attention to that instead of to the whole VS thing (well, in addition to, I guess). That actually makes a whole lot more sense to me than the VS nurse-in anyway...as some others stated.

I referring to the suggestion/(attempt) to call off the nation wide and also state wide nurse in on july 1st at VS stores.. ..which is what the title of this thread is about.
There is another thread set up specifically with a list of places people will be at JULY 1ST.

June 30th is separate from the nurse -in ..to which I am NOT referring to.

The nurse in at VS statewide to a protest if you will against VS and VS only...this has nothing to do with June 30th. and I think it is equally important to hold this nurse in July 1st as well as June 30th.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #19
Knitmama
Registered Users

But the June 30 nurse-in has been cancelled.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #20
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i wouldnt be like "hey im here!!" and announcing im bfing in the store, but i do walk around target bfing since i was told to either go to the dressing room or leave a few months back because a couple "offended" people went and complained to management and i was chased down in the store.

i think it sounds like they thought she wanted to take up fitting rooms that were for customers, not just because of asking to bf, but i dunno, i wasnt there. i was told by almost evetryone to just leave it alone when i told everyone about target, but i wish i hadnt now :sigh:
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote