Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #21
Frog
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nationwide Nurse In at Victoria Secrets July 1st @1pm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Mindy~*
i wouldnt be like "hey im here!!" and announcing im bfing in the store, but i do walk around target bfing since i was told to either go to the dressing room or leave a few months back because a couple "offended" people went and complained to management and i was chased down in the store.

i think it sounds like they thought she wanted to take up fitting rooms that were for customers, not just because of asking to bf, but i dunno, i wasnt there. i was told by almost evetryone to just leave it alone when i told everyone about target, but i wish i hadnt now :sigh:

WOW they chased you down ...thats terrible. I wish people would just get over it.

If you think about it you really arent leaving it alone. You have continued to BF in Target regardless of what they think..and that mama is awesome.!

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2006, 07:20 AM   #22
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Well, I kinda skimmed everything, but I want to offer my experience...I'm a huge VS fan..like, the HUGEST!! I only buy bras and panties from there, and nightgowns...quite a few clothes too lol. Now, I have been in VS with my kiddos millions of times, at all ages and stages. Abby has tried on bras there, all of my kids have nursed in there, they have been nothing but supportive. I think that maybe the issues here are more about non-customers and a few emplyess that know nothing about bf'ing having contact with each other. I have had places try to get ot me leave cuz they wer anti-=bf, but let's face it. VS employess are going to look at breasts a little more sexually than your average bf mom, and bf is about as non-sexual as you can get with a breast. I do think that breasts CAN be sexual, although they are not just sexual....

I guess my point is, these women are taught to market a boring undergarmet to be sexy and alluring, and if they don't know about bf, I can see where thye might be a little confused as to how to behave. And quite honestly, if you're not a customer, you shouldn't be using their dressing room for ANYTHING, imo. Ii've had great experiences there, and actually had a good long talk about nursing bras with a couple associates. Apparently they tried out a tester nursing line a few years back, but since they are a "sexy" company, most bf'ing moms boycotted the product since breasts feeding a baby aren't supposed ot be sexy. Hmmm....I am the biggest bf advocate you know, I have no modesty, I don't think feeding my kids in sexual, but I DO think of my breasts as sexual in other aspexct.s I think soemtiems we, as a bf community, go a little ovreboard.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #23
dee1972
Registered Users

Well, I haven't shopped there in a while, but that's a $$ issue. I do think this is out of proportion, too. As has been said over and over, its about non-customer use of the dressing rooms, not actual breastfeeding. Many restaurants and businesses have "Restrooms for Patrons Only" signs in the window. Does that mean people should organize a "pee-in"? I nurse whenever and wherever, but I never seek out areas that might be used by people for their intended purpose (dressing rooms, dining booths, etc.). VS has some very nice, comfy chairs in their stores that are not in the dressing room. If she had sat down there to nurse and been asked to leave, then there would be a problem. As to the insensitive/uninformed clerks....what more do you want? Management apologized, corporate apologized. They can't control everything that comes out of an employees mouth. And it really sounds as if it was just a lack of knowledge about bf (unsanitary?? LOL) and not anything malicious. How about suggesting a nice section on breastfeeding in middle/high school (even elementary) as part of health classes? They teach them all about the sexual aspects of the body, why not breastfeeding? Then we could reduce the number of uneducated clerks instead of harrassing an entire corporation for the mistakes of 3 morons. Okay, I'm done.
dee1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #24
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee1972
[B][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]

How about suggesting a nice section on breastfeeding in middle/high school (even elementary) as part of health classes? They teach them all about the sexual aspects of the body, why not breastfeeding?
You know, high school was a LOOOONG time ago for me and junior high was even longer but in all my home ec/child development classes (we had child development as an elective option) I don't ever remember any discussion of breastfeeding! I remember learning how to change a diaper (sposies!), how to prepare a bottle, check the temperature of the milk, burp afterwards, etc. but never a mention of bf as an option. I wonder if I just don't remember it or what? I'm not saying they need to go into graphic details about latching and all, but wouldn't it be nice if they at least brought it up! I mean, up until my first son was born, my dh thought that you had to somehow "pierce" the nipple in order for the milk to come out ( )...how many common bf problems could be avoided altogether if we educated young people on some of the basics. It might even take 10 years or so to see results but so many children today grow up not knowing ANYTHING about bf...all they see in books, movies, tv, and IRL is bottles. When they reach childbearing age, bf is a new concept for them...what if we did introduce it to them as children so that they grow up thinking it's normal. Oh well...I guess that's another thread...
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 AM   #25
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

the issue is with MANAGEMENT. if they are not told that VS supports bf'ing moms then the won't. 2 of the mamas in question were customers, one wanting to spend $140 gc and another shopping with her friend. One was told all the dressing rooms were full and when she mentioned the law one magically opened up for her. And you know what, even if ther were not customers they still should have let them use a fitting room with the stipulation that a customer trying on clothes comes first. if one happens along and the rooms are full that they would need that room.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #26
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I still don't understand why someone who NEEDED to tend to their hungry baby HAD to go into Victoria Secret to nurse? I've NIP a trillion times and half of those were at the mall, I just sat down on a bench and nursed. No one ever said anything to me. I did get looks at times, but mostly noone could really even tell I was nursing to begin with just holding my baby!
To me, if someone went into ANY dressing room in the mall just to nurse seems to me like they would want to make a stink about it - to see what the employees would say?!?! Thats just my opinion too of course.

I dont think of nursing as being anything remotely close to sexual but I can respect the fact that it does make some uncomfortable. People will stare, and even though I am allowed to BF publicly if there is a nursing lounge (which locally where I am there are a few) I would rather go there and be comfrotable that no one is looking at my breasts, or staring at me, etc...

I love Vicitora Secret, I was in there once when Riley was a few weeks old with a friend - I bought some things, baby started to fuss so I went out of the store to feed her. I dont think Im entitled to use their dressing room because my baby is hungry and I spent 40 bucks there!

I guess thats what I dont get...nurse on a bench....
Old 06-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #27
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFabMama
I still don't understand why someone who NEEDED to tend to their hungry baby HAD to go into Victoria Secret to nurse?
they were already there shopping.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #28
dee1972
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom
Well, I'm certainly confused now. The accounts I keep reading here all say that at least 2 of the women were NOT in there shopping already. One post mentions that one of them went in to nurse, but MAY have decided to buy something AFTER.
Quote:
one wanting to spend $140 gc
What article did this one come from? This is the first mention I"ve seen of this. Anyway, no matter if someone is spending $140 or $140,000, dressing rooms are for trying on clothes, not feeding anyone. I'm pretty sure we'd all agree that the biggest response to "feed your baby in the restrooms" is "restrooms are not for eating in" (heh...that would be a pretty polite response, too). Well, dressing rooms are not for eating in either. Find a chair or a bench or park it on the floor. If you are then told to cover up or leave, go ahead and make a stink about it. Afterall, aren't the women in question so pro-nursing that they really shouldn't feel the need to hide in a dressing room in the first place? Ack....I dunno....it just seems like some "lactivists" go looking for a fight where there doesn't need to be one.
dee1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #29
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom
They ALL werent. One lady just went in to use the dressing room. She wasnt shopping there, she wasnt even broswing as far as I read she just went in to use the dressing room. I think I read of 1 woman who was actually shopping there.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #30
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee1972

Well, I'm certainly confused now. The accounts I keep reading here all say that at least 2 of the women were NOT in there shopping already. One post mentions that one of them went in to nurse, but MAY have decided to buy something AFTER.

What article did this one come from? This is the first mention I"ve seen of this. Anyway, no matter if someone is spending $140 or $140,000, dressing rooms are for trying on clothes, not feeding anyone. I'm pretty sure we'd all agree that the biggest response to "feed your baby in the restrooms" is "restrooms are not for eating in" (heh...that would be a pretty polite response, too). Well, dressing rooms are not for eating in either. Find a chair or a bench or park it on the floor. If you are then told to cover up or leave, go ahead and make a stink about it. Afterall, aren't the women in question so pro-nursing that they really shouldn't feel the need to hide in a dressing room in the first place? Ack....I dunno....it just seems like some "lactivists" go looking for a fight where there doesn't need to be one.
ITA! If you were nursing on a bench and someone came up to you and said "Could you please go to a dressing room" what would you do? I'm sure SOMEONE would throw a fit because they asked you to move. I could see if you were SHOPPING and ALREADY trying something on in the dressing room and needed to nurse asap. Fine. Do it. But, just because you're shopping there also doesnt give you the right to use the dressing room for something it isnt there for. It's for the people (buying or not) who want to try something on. It isnt hard to leave the store and nurse and then come back.

Again, just my

I think it's all rather silly. I'm all for NIP I did it for many months with my daughter. She didnt take bottles. I was breastfeeding. If someone didnt like it oh well. They werent my concern my baby was, but just because I am a nursing mother that doesnt give me the right to nurse where ever I'd like to. There are plenty of chairs and benches to nurse at. So, I dont see what the big old problem is here.