Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2006, 01:09 PM   #31
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nationwide Nurse In at Victoria Secrets July 1st @1pm!!

In one thing that I read, the mama in question had said that her dd does not nurse well in public. She is very distractable and will not stayed latched on regardless of how hungry she is. I can kinda see the reasoning that someone in that circumstance would go into a store and ask to use a fitting room - particularly a store that makes a LOT of money because of women's breasts. I mean... it's not like she went into "Just For Men" or some other men's clothing store and requested a dressing room to feed her little one.

Fortunately for me, when my dc was younger that no amount of crowds stood between him and his ba-bas so he would have nursed *anywhere*.

Advertisement

Last edited by Knittress; 06-27-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #32
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraheartsherlittleone
In one thing that I read, the mama in question had said that her dd does not nurse well in public. She is very distractable and will not stayed latched on regardless of how hungry she is. I can kinda see the reasoning that someone in that circumstance would go into a store and ask to use a fitting room - particularly a store that makes a LOT of money because of women's breasts. I mean... it's not like she went into "Just For Men" or some other men's clothing store and requested a dressing room to feed her little one.

Fortunately for me, when my dc was younger that no amount of crowds stood between him and his ba-bas so he would have nursed *anywhere*.
I can understand that, Riley got distracted very easily when nursing. So, when we were out if I could I would go to a well hidden place or nursing lounge. I even went to the car a few times in the early days when I practically had to take my whole shirt off. And, I can see how some people arent comfortable with NIP (a friend of mine flat out refused to do it). It is not something the whole world should have to see. I can and do see both POVs here.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #33
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

the mama's that this happened to posted about it on MDC. they WERE shopping. here are the threads:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=472734
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=472512
Old 06-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #34
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom
the mama's that this happened to posted about it on MDC. they WERE shopping. here are the threads:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=472734
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=472512
Here's a quote from Lori Rueger, the first mom that this happened to: "When I started heading back to the car, I saw there was a Victoria's Secret," Rueger said. "Being a past customer of Victoria's Secret, I knew they had really nice dressing rooms. [I thought:] 'I'll see if they let me use it and buy something for their trouble and be on my way.'" ( http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=health&id=3745242) So she was not shopping in there and as far as anyone knew, was just someone off the street walking in and asking to use the dressing room to feed her baby. Again, if they had allowed it, it would have been nice but they certainly weren't obligated to.

Here's what the second mama said in her MDC thread: I had planned on stopping in VS anyway to look around, but I knew she needed to nurse and shopping with a hungry infant won't go well. So she was not shopping in the store at the time either. She said she had planned to go in and look around but how were the employees to know that? She came in, went directly to the fitting rooms, and asked to use one to feed her baby.

Only the third mama was actually shopping in the store and when she asked to use a dressing room, they were all full. She sat down on the floor to nurse and someone suggested she use the employee restroom (like I said before, they probably figured they were doing her a favor) after she refused to use the restroom, a dressing room did open up and they let her use it.

I can see both sides of the issue. DJ did go through a stage where it was next to impossible to nurse him if there was anything else going on at all. Very frustrating. Of course, by the time he got to the point that he was THAT distractible, he was also eating other things and drinking from a cup and did pretty well with the choice that if you want booby, you have to focus and do it, if you want to look around and pay attention to everything else, you can wait till we get home to have the booby. There were a couple of times when we were out and about for longer than I'd planned and I got stuck in a situation where I wished he would settle down and nurse but there was just too much excitement going on so I needed to seek out a quiet place. Even in those situations though, I would not have *expected* to be able to just walk into a store and ask to use a dressing room to feed him. It would be nice if they'd let you and it might possibly win some business, but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if they said no.

I know that when I was 8 months preggo with DJ, I passed by a store that was having a huge sale on baby clothes and baby items. I was very excited and wanted to shop but as usual I HAD to pee first...my eyes were floating! I had to go so bad I was almost in tears but when I asked the sales lady where the restroom was, she told me that store policy was that it was for employees only. I was ticked...I left without buying anything and have not gone back to that store since then...but I understand that they were within their rights and I'm ok with that. To me, the first two scenarios here are the same situation...someone comes in off the street asking to use a facility that is intended for customers, for something other than its intended purpose and they were told no. It would have been great if they had let them but I certainly don't see how they should be required to. If the fitting rooms were empty, what would it hurt, but I don't think it should be an obligation. Just my though...everybody has an opinion.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #35
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000
Here's a quote from Lori Rueger, the first mom that this happened to: "When I started heading back to the car, I saw there was a Victoria's Secret," Rueger said. "Being a past customer of Victoria's Secret, I knew they had really nice dressing rooms. [I thought:] 'I'll see if they let me use it and buy something for their trouble and be on my way.'" ( http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=health&id=3745242) So she was not shopping in there and as far as anyone knew, was just someone off the street walking in and asking to use the dressing room to feed her baby. Again, if they had allowed it, it would have been nice but they certainly weren't obligated to.

Here's what the second mama said in her MDC thread: I had planned on stopping in VS anyway to look around, but I knew she needed to nurse and shopping with a hungry infant won't go well. So she was not shopping in the store at the time either. She said she had planned to go in and look around but how were the employees to know that? She came in, went directly to the fitting rooms, and asked to use one to feed her baby.

Only the third mama was actually shopping in the store and when she asked to use a dressing room, they were all full. She sat down on the floor to nurse and someone suggested she use the employee restroom (like I said before, they probably figured they were doing her a favor) after she refused to use the restroom, a dressing room did open up and they let her use it.

I can see both sides of the issue. DJ did go through a stage where it was next to impossible to nurse him if there was anything else going on at all. Very frustrating. Of course, by the time he got to the point that he was THAT distractible, he was also eating other things and drinking from a cup and did pretty well with the choice that if you want booby, you have to focus and do it, if you want to look around and pay attention to everything else, you can wait till we get home to have the booby. There were a couple of times when we were out and about for longer than I'd planned and I got stuck in a situation where I wished he would settle down and nurse but there was just too much excitement going on so I needed to seek out a quiet place. Even in those situations though, I would not have *expected* to be able to just walk into a store and ask to use a dressing room to feed him. It would be nice if they'd let you and it might possibly win some business, but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if they said no.

I know that when I was 8 months preggo with DJ, I passed by a store that was having a huge sale on baby clothes and baby items. I was very excited and wanted to shop but as usual I HAD to pee first...my eyes were floating! I had to go so bad I was almost in tears but when I asked the sales lady where the restroom was, she told me that store policy was that it was for employees only. I was ticked...I left without buying anything and have not gone back to that store since then...but I understand that they were within their rights and I'm ok with that. To me, the first two scenarios here are the same situation...someone comes in off the street asking to use a facility that is intended for customers, for something other than its intended purpose and they were told no. It would have been great if they had let them but I certainly don't see how they should be required to. If the fitting rooms were empty, what would it hurt, but I don't think it should be an obligation. Just my though...everybody has an opinion.
Gah! THANK YOU!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:27 AM   #36
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to say that Lori Rueger really isn't being considered to be a part of this issue right now. The nurse in is not based on her at all, just the second 2 cases. Just FYI, since she keeps being referred to.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:53 AM   #37
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=lauraheartsherlittleone] I can kinda see the reasoning that someone in that circumstance would go into a store and ask to use a fitting room - particularly a store that makes a LOT of money because of women's breasts. I mean... it's not like she went into "Just For Men" or some other men's clothing store and requested a dressing room to feed her little one.

QUOTE]

But that kinda makes it tricky too, because VS doesn't market breasts as being functional and un-sexy, it's a place where they sell stuff to feel and look sexy even with boring old undergarmets. I'm not really following the reasoning, why didn't she go to a meternity store or something if she were trying to stay in a place that was comfortable with breasts? ANd Sears, JCP, Kohl's , Filene's, Macy's...they're in malls and all have maternity sections. If THAT was the intent, to go to someplace that is cool with boobs, she could have to gone to any of them, and nursed in a place where the store agreed on the intent of the breast .

Quite honestly, I nurse my kids ANYWHERE. Doesn't matter to me where or when, if I'm in a bra store, at line at the grocery, in the bank, the doctors, during an eye exam (yes, I've done that lol), etc. My babe needs to eat, it gets fed, period. I don't even care if others are uncomfortable, and i'm not modest or careful as to how I nurse. But I'll admit, I do get a bit worked up when women who "claim" to be lactivist's throw a big fit because they weren't met with open arms tryting to nurse somewhere they weren't even shopping. You're a lactavist, you'd be sitting on a bench in the hall of the mall nursing out in the open, imo. All this does is give nursing moms a bad reputation for ebing trouble makers. I DO think we need more publicity and education about breastfeeding, but all this negative attention isn't going to get us where we want to be.

Oh, and for those of you who feel so adamantly about VS bring anti-bf'ing, check out my local mall. They've got a MA Coalition for bf'ing sticker in their front window
Old 06-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #38
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=jennyofthemoon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraheartsherlittleone
I can kinda see the reasoning that someone in that circumstance would go into a store and ask to use a fitting room - particularly a store that makes a LOT of money because of women's breasts. I mean... it's not like she went into "Just For Men" or some other men's clothing store and requested a dressing room to feed her little one.

QUOTE]

But that kinda makes it tricky too, because VS doesn't market breasts as being functional and un-sexy, it's a place where they sell stuff to feel and look sexy even with boring old undergarmets. I'm not really following the reasoning, why didn't she go to a meternity store or something if she were trying to stay in a place that was comfortable with breasts? ANd Sears, JCP, Kohl's , Filene's, Macy's...they're in malls and all have maternity sections. If THAT was the intent, to go to someplace that is cool with boobs, she could have to gone to any of them, and nursed in a place where the store agreed on the intent of the breast .

Quite honestly, I nurse my kids ANYWHERE. Doesn't matter to me where or when, if I'm in a bra store, at line at the grocery, in the bank, the doctors, during an eye exam (yes, I've done that lol), etc. My babe needs to eat, it gets fed, period. I don't even care if others are uncomfortable, and i'm not modest or careful as to how I nurse. But I'll admit, I do get a bit worked up when women who "claim" to be lactivist's throw a big fit because they weren't met with open arms tryting to nurse somewhere they weren't even shopping. You're a lactavist, you'd be sitting on a bench in the hall of the mall nursing out in the open, imo. All this does is give nursing moms a bad reputation for ebing trouble makers. I DO think we need more publicity and education about breastfeeding, but all this negative attention isn't going to get us where we want to be.

Oh, and for those of you who feel so adamantly about VS bring anti-bf'ing, check out my local mall. They've got a MA Coalition for bf'ing sticker in their front window
2 very good points.