Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for mamas that fully vax...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
yes, we give tylenol to both kids when we'd hgo in for vax's.
i give them 30-45 minutes before the appt and we've never run into fevers
your 4 month old should only have about .04 of the dropper of tylenol

This is what we do!!

Advertisement

png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynmama View Post
Please don't judge me for this, but yes I do fully vax. For those mamas that do, do you give your LO tylenol before vaxing? I need some opinions, my sis is going to her DS's 4mo vax appt tomorrow. At his 2mo vax, he had a low grade fever for a day and was fussy as well. I never did so I am not much help. Her dr's office told her that they can administer it when she arrives, but I was thinking it should be taken like 1/2-hour before the appt. TIA for any input!
I do. Mainly to help with any soreness. Before we leave for the appt. I will give them some later if they are cranky.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

we give it to them as soon as we get to the dr. room, not the waiting room. it gives it a 15 minute or so head start.
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
lexi22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I give it to her when get to the doctors office. I figure about a 20 minute time lapse between waiting, getting weighed, getting checked out etc. and they always vax last.

Wife to Kevin and Mama to sweet Maeve!
lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some vax will make them have worse symptoms than others, so consult the Doctor. I used to give it to her before, but usually they would warn me the appointment before that it was one of her "offenders." She had a bad reaction to the Pertussis vax, so we knew to medicate prior to that one. When I gave her the Tylenol before, it just made the whole thing smoother, and then I'd BF her right after the vax, and she'd be okay. Her 9M vaxs, though, I don't think we gave her anything because the Doctor told me they shouldn't have any side effects. GL, Mama!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #16
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tylenol has essentially no effect on the immune system. It affects chemicals in your brain and body that have to do with pain and fever, but does not suppress the immune system. Long-term use of Tylenol is not recommended, and can cause liver damage, though. But, using it every once in a while and during vax is definitely okay. The thing about the immune system probably comes from those individuals that believe allowing their fever to stay elevated will boost their immune system during illness. Ok, to a certain extent, yes. Fevers raise the body's temperature to one that is less hospitable for bacteria and viruses. On the other hand, I've always been so miserable during fevers that it's been worth medicating! I get vertigo and sweats and shake, and it's just not worth it to me. Even there, the Tylenol has no effect on your immune system. It's not an uncommon conception, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynmama View Post
Thanks, I will tell her all your thoughts. She is worried that tylenol will interfere w/his immune system (she's a first time mom). I really don't think it will, IME. My older DC are very healthy and we use(d) tylenol whenever they were feverish as babies.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #17
SahmIam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I always give something before we go. Usually I give Motrin, but if Tylenol works well for you do that. I fully vax too and am proud of it! No need to hide.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #18
ocean_o_curls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we always did
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #19
carleyann'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I give tylenol before as well. My DD just has a hard time with her vaxs she always is pretty fussy for the first couple of days afterwards. We just got our 6mth shots today I gave her tylenol before we left the house so it was on board about an hr before she got her shots and give it every 4 hrs for the first 12 hrs or so because she does have such a hard time. I too BF afterwards in the room just to help calm her down and it works everytime, gotta love having the boob. After her 4mth shots her temp got up to 100 and was climbing but wasn't told that I could up her dose to .8 so I gave a little more put her in a warm bath and it came back down to normal. Every child is different some it doesn't bother at all and others it does but I think tyelnol before will just help relax them a bit and they may not need anymore depending how they seem to feel. HTH
carleyann'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #20
Phooey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always give either Tylenol or Motrin about 1/2 hour before the shot and haven't ever had any problems.

When I forget, they are actually kind enough to get me a sample of either to give to them beforehand.

Phooey on having to hide.
Kim, WIFE to an amazing hubby, MOM to Duncan (12 - early teenager syndrome), Jensen (10 - middle child syndrome), two angels, Rowan (3 - preschooler syndrome), and Kaylen Grace (born 10/29/10 - Down syndrome).
Phooey is offline   Reply With Quote