Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #21
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for mamas that fully vax...

We also give motrin or tylenol 1/2 before as well.

Advertisement

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #22
kdwyer
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have done both, before and after. No real diffrence to tell the truth, my lo just got his shots and did not get a fever right after, but he did get a low grade a few hours later.

With dd I did give it too her before we left for the office, I could not tell a diffence either way. they both had it but it was just a timing thing.
kdwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #23
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynmama View Post
Thanks, I will tell her all your thoughts. She is worried that tylenol will interfere w/his immune system (she's a first time mom). I really don't think it will, IME. My older DC are very healthy and we use(d) tylenol whenever they were feverish as babies.
According to alot of what I have read your sister is right

Please direct her here for more info, especially since she is already feeling that way.

http://greenfertility.blogspot.com/2...iver-woes.html

http://www.whale.to/a/west8.html

http://www.whale.to/m/ibupro.html

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...archid=5090417

Now these deal with Tylenol overdose and prolonged use, but in an infant the max dose over a couple of days can deplete glutathione

http://www.mercola.com/2005/may/17/tylenol_risk.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/17/fever.htm

Last edited by mommyto3girls; 06-18-2007 at 09:48 PM.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #24
SkysMom211
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have heard of this and thought to do it b4 every appt, but then I think the shots he'll get today aren't the same as last time and so he might not need the tylenol this time. I do bring it with me though to the peds office so I have it just in case, esp if I know we'll have some errands to run while we're over that way.
SkysMom211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #25
foxflame88
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choose2bgr8 View Post
When I did vax I only gave tylenol afterword and only when they were really cranky, acting like they were in pain, or had a fever.

All my kids are fully vaxed and this is what I did/do.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #26
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I give infants Motrin 30 mins before then I alternate between that and the infants Tylenol for the first 24 hrs, then IF the seem to be in pain after the 24 hrs I give Tylenol 1 time then just hold and cuddle.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #27
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

you should not medicate unless necessary- most doctors recommend not giving anything until after the shots to know whether or not it is needed. A fever is the body's way of warding off whatever it is fighting, so in reality, you should only give tylenol or other fever-reducer if a fever (in a child) is over 103.

As far as fussiness during the shots, have your sis ask if she can bf while they're being administered. That helps.

Last edited by Mom2Natalya; 06-18-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Mom2Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:10 AM   #28
KV Boo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ped says only give tylenol if she has a fever other wise don't and i have always done exactly as he said. She's 10 months and has never needed any after her shots.

Mommy to Tatiana 12 years old
Stacy 10 years old and Gabriella born August 3, 2006 My little baby girl!!
KV Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #29
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we give The Kid tylenol about 1/2 hour before the doctor's appt. I also try to breastfeed him just before and right after the shot. He's never cried during a shot but he does give the nurse "the look of death"
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #30
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't but I might next time with dd. She had a fever and was very cranky for about a day and a half after her last shots. She's normally really easygoing so it was a big change. I think we've only had one other time that one of my dc had a fever and I'm pretty sure it was shorter lived and didn't involve crankiness. I'll probably forget to give her the Tylenol though until she gets cranky and hot and I realize I need it.

I'm pretty sure that if I gave Tylenol after we got to the doctor's office it would still be more than 30 minutes before her shots. We wait for a while in the waiting room, then wait for a while in the room to see the doctor, and then wait a while for the nurse to bring in the shots. Also, dd didn't get cranky right away, just after a few hours so the Tylenol wasn't immediately necessary.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote