Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #31
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for mamas that fully vax...

I personally have always given tylenol when I get there...knowing I will be waiting an hour or more before getting the shots.I want it to be fully working before they get the shots.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #32
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Natalya View Post
you should not medicate unless necessary- most doctors recommend not giving anything until after the shots to know whether or not it is needed. A fever is the body's way of warding off whatever it is fighting, so in reality, you should only give tylenol or other fever-reducer if a fever (in a child) is over 103.

As far as fussiness during the shots, have your sis ask if she can bf while they're being administered. That helps.

If my kids are getting the Pediarix (sp) shot my Pedi lets me know and I give Motrin (we almost never use Tylenol) before leaving for the apt. My kids always get a fever and pain from it as most kids do. If they’re getting any other shots I wait for a reaction. When they get the MMR it typically takes 7-10 days for the fever and rash if they’re going to get it. 1 in 5 kids get the rash/bumps from it but 2 of my 5 have and we’re still waiting to see if Asterix does. Most of the time they don’t get reactions at all. A few times we’ve had slight fevers and a few times they’ve had injection sight pain like from the flue shots but with 5 kids getting fully vaxed on a slightly delayed schedule for some of the vax we’ve had very few reactions.

The reason I rarely give Tylenol are that it takes more and needs to be used longer than Motrin. It also does nothing for the swelling which is typically a big part of the pain when it comes to injections. Motrin is also safer to have in the house. My DD drank ½ a bottle and was fine but poison control told me if it had been Tylenol I’d of had to rush her to the ER to get her stomach pumped. My Pedi has also said that Motrin is safer to use and is less likely to be over dosed.

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #33
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

It takes us about 1/2 an hour to get to the peds office. I usually give tylenol right before we leave the house.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #34
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At what age can you start giving Motrin? I always thought not til 1yr. But that's cool if I can use it earlier as it works way faster IMO.

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #35
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynmama View Post
At what age can you start giving Motrin? I always thought not til 1yr. But that's cool if I can use it earlier as it works way faster IMO.
If you read the bottles no meds are ok to use without Dr permission and dosage before 2yo. I got the dose from my Pedi. At 4mn I was giving ½ tsp and around 6mn they went to ¾ tsp around a year to 18mn they started getting 1 tsp my twins are still only getting 1 tsp because they only weigh about 30lbs. Oh yeah I use Children’s Motrin the dosage for infant is a little different. But your Pedi should be able to tell you. It really is WAY safer to use.

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #36
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-littlemonkeys View Post

If my kids are getting the Pediarix (sp) shot my Pedi lets me know and I give Motrin (we almost never use Tylenol) before leaving for the apt. My kids always get a fever and pain from it as most kids do. If they’re getting any other shots I wait for a reaction. When they get the MMR it typically takes 7-10 days for the fever and rash if they’re going to get it. 1 in 5 kids get the rash/bumps from it but 2 of my 5 have and we’re still waiting to see if Asterix does. Most of the time they don’t get reactions at all. A few times we’ve had slight fevers and a few times they’ve had injection sight pain like from the flue shots but with 5 kids getting fully vaxed on a slightly delayed schedule for some of the vax we’ve had very few reactions.

The reason I rarely give Tylenol are that it takes more and needs to be used longer than Motrin. It also does nothing for the swelling which is typically a big part of the pain when it comes to injections. Motrin is also safer to have in the house. My DD drank ½ a bottle and was fine but poison control told me if it had been Tylenol I’d of had to rush her to the ER to get her stomach pumped. My Pedi has also said that Motrin is safer to use and is less likely to be over dosed.

I was basically gonna write the same stuff but Jen took the words off my fingertips!

We used to use Tylenol but I switched to Motrin when I noticed how much more effectice it was and how much longer it worked. The only thing to watch for is using it w/ fever during bouts of vomiting/diarrhea which can induce deyhdration. I guess Motrin isn't good for kids when they're dehyrdated. Children's Tylenol supposetories are best then anyway, available behind the counter at the pharmacy.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #37
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a great Motrin referance site!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #38
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynmama View Post
I use INFANTS Motrin. The Ped said to give that instead of Tylenol because Motrin is an Ibuprofen instead of Acetaminophen and will bring a fever down faster than Tylenol.
Giving the Infants Motrin is the same as the Infants Tylenol.

I was actually told NOT to nurse during shots because they can choke, but I didnt listen and DD choked.
DS never had any fevers except in the area of the shots, but DD gets fevers that last 3 days.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #39
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianamom*2 View Post
I was actually told NOT to nurse during shots because they can choke, but I didnt listen and DD choked.
DS never had any fevers except in the area of the shots, but DD gets fevers that last 3 days.
Awwwww.... how sad!! I never really thought about doing it while I nursed, I was just ready the instant the nurse was done. It calmed my last DS down much quicker than my non-EBF'd (at that age) babies.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #40
IrishMaggieD
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

our dr. actually gives us tylenol in the office to give to before the shots. at the beginning of the appt and then by the time the nurse comes with the shots it'sb een about 20-30 minutes. even if there's no fever it keeps them from being too grouchy...
IrishMaggieD is offline   Reply With Quote