Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
~Bug~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you have Green Mountain Prefolds

My original pfs were FSOT so this was my first time prepping. I washed my rainbow short Green Mountain prefolds at least 8-10 times before using them and they never seemed to "quilt up" like my super-soft and very loved premiums. I figured it was just b/c they were still too new.

Yesterday I got 2 more dozen premiums from a different site and washed them 8 times and they've quilted up beautifully. They feel like they are going to be super absorbant and I'm loving them.

Now I'm disliking the GMD prefolds even more. I've been using them for a couple months and they still aren't soft and quilty. It's like they are way too thick to ever get that way. And on my super fat baby I don't like how thick they still seem.

Did I do something wrong? Or is this just the way GMD prefolds are? Do they ever get soft and quilty?

Advertisement

Danielle
Mommy to to DS (2 years old) and DD (1 year old)
EDD - Oct 2008
~Bug~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
mamandeyuri
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If you have Green Mountain Prefolds

I have never used cd before and I have the rainbow premiums- they are very soft and quitly. I line dry them so they aren't silky. What kind did you get? Mine are super absorbent,or maybe I am clueless cause I have never owned anything else...lol
mamandeyuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you dry them in the dryer? I love my GMD prefolds, very fluffy. I just got some this weekend and they are already great. The other prefolds from them we have had a bout a year and they are holding up very well.

Hmmmm, could you email Karen?
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

The rainbow ones are not as quilty as the rest of the GMD prefolds- I have preemie, newborn, infant, regular, premium, and rainbow (all from GMD) and the only ones that aren't as soft and quilted are the rainbow shorts. Not sure why, but that is what I have found.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
rachaelmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner99 View Post
The rainbow ones are not as quilty as the rest of the GMD prefolds- I have preemie, newborn, infant, regular, premium, and rainbow (all from GMD) and the only ones that aren't as soft and quilted are the rainbow shorts. Not sure why, but that is what I have found.
I agree! But I think they aren't as quilty beacuase there is more material in the rainbow shorts, to make it the same weight as a premium. The website says they do this so the rainbow shorts have the same abosorbancy as premium that has been folded over in the front. Even though they don't quilt up as much, I love them! They are the perfect size for my little guy! If you end up not wanting them, there are a bunch of people here who are looking to try some out!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
~Bug~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelmomma View Post
I agree! But I think they aren't as quilty beacuase there is more material in the rainbow shorts, to make it the same weight as a premium. The website says they do this so the rainbow shorts have the same abosorbancy as premium that has been folded over in the front. Even though they don't quilt up as much, I love them! They are the perfect size for my little guy! If you end up not wanting them, there are a bunch of people here who are looking to try some out!
Now that you say that, it sounds familiar. I do love the size. But I almost like the ones I trimmed myself even better b/c the prefolds were already soft to begin with.

I'd sell them if I thought I could make my money back. But I'm too cheap just to sell them off for a loss. I'll deal with them. Maybe by my 4th or 5th kid they'll be nice and soft.

Danielle
EDD - Oct 2008
Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
southernmom2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love the rainbow prefolds, they still fit Eden very well. Your right though. They are the least quilty of all our prefolds.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
melissalaurel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our rainbow shorts are not quilty at all, but still very absorbant.

mom to 5 boys and expecting a GIRL in January.
Melissa Laurel Fiber Artist
Ravelry profile: melissalaurel
melissalaurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
~Bug~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't get me wrong, I love how absorbant they are. But when you've got thighs like my DD, the thickness is a little much. When I use the short ones that I trimmed from premiums, I use the trimmed part as a doubler. B/c it's softer it seems to fit better. More narrow down the middle, IYKWIM. The rainbow shorts are so stiff that the middle part seems too wide for a fat-thighed baby.

Oh well. You live and learn.

Danielle
EDD - Oct 2008
Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
bronxmama
Registered Users

I love my GMD prefolds have actaually held up well through child #2. are yours unbleached? mine r. hmmm... i did buy some toddler indian prefolds that r softer but thet weight less and have less layers of cotton. still i love my GMD stuff.
bronxmama is offline   Reply With Quote