Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
FINAL UPDATE! Am I being silly? LONG

So 2 weeks ago DD took a tumble out of her crib. The rail was down (I know bad mommy, it was once and of course I wont forget it) but we watched her an d she was fine. Well last weekend we noticed she'd gotten a bump on her head, that was not from the fall out of the crib but we couldn't figure out what it was from. I watched it that day and then the next morning called the dr to see if they wanted us to come in just to make sure I wasn't overlooking it. We took her in and the dr (not her regular ped, another in the practice) said everything was fine it was just a bump but to do an xray just to be safe, so we did right there and then. Next day dr calls and says that the xray came out clean and everything looked fine, they'd follow up in 2 weeks at her 9 mo appointment. So I was happy and went on with life. Now mind you the bump got smaller and smaller daily and DD was her happy usual self, nothing outta the ordinary. Well Wednesday night the dr calls and says she'd like her to see the eye dr and then get a u/s done just to be safe and after discussing it with her I say ok fine. Well then Thursday the dr calls and says "nevermind the u/s, get a CT scan..I talked to a neurologist and he wants one done". Well first off I didn't give her permission to consult a neurologist...one that knows nothing of what happened and doesn't know DD either. After arguing with her for a bit I finally said "fine, make the appointments and get my referrals and we'll get it done". So this morning the secretary calls me to see if we've had it done, the dr wants the results and I tell her that Im still waiting on the appointments and referrals and again tell her that it seems silly to do this when the dr herself says that everything is fine. So she calls me back and it's scheduled for 6:30 tomorrow evening.

Now, my mom and dad keep saying "just don't feed her in case they have to sedate her..." and when I tell them I don't want her sedated they keep saying "just do it, it's easier that way" easier for WHO?? If they sedate her and she's up all night crying, IM up all night crying with her...and I have to work the next morning! Plus she's getting stuff pumped into her little body and the non vax'ing part of me says "NO SEDATION!!". Anyway, if I hear how it'll be easier just to knock her out ONE more time I might go postal! The secretary didn't say anything about sedation or not feeding her..and I kinda wondered if I should just call and find out or if I should just go along with our usual day and let her eat and play..and then tell them no sedation if they try..and even risk having to reschedule if they say she can't have eaten when we get there.

FINAL UPDATE!

We took DD for her 9 month appointment and all is well. Her ped didn't see the need for a CT scan or even to see the eye dr and she explained to me WHY they usually suggest such things. Apparently as soon as the ped returned from vacation the other dr came to her and told her that she'd seen Izzie and told her that we were refusing the CT and the eye appointment and that she really thought we should do it. Well our ped was on our side and said if there was something wrong with her we'd totally see it right away. On a side note, she's 9.5 months, 16lbs 6oz,29" long and will be walking before her birthday LOL!

Advertisement

Last edited by MrsTorres; 06-22-2007 at 07:17 AM. Reason: update
MrsTorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
mamak
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I being silly? LONG

As a nurse and mom I would want to know why they want tests now s long after the fact. Normally if she did not fall from a spot twice as high as she is tall and is acting normal than no tests are done. All of those tests are scary for little ones and they have to lay still so normally they do give some kind of normal sedative. And they do have side effects other than sleep. Please ask more questions and don't do anything until they have a good answer or you seek a second opinion.
mamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
marcia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if this is not your normal DR calling for the CT scan, i wouldn't do it and talk to him/her first.

i agree with it not making any sense for them to want to do any of these tests so long after then accident. these tests should have been done right after it happened.

find out exactly WHY they want to do the CT scan, then call YOUR DR about it.

something just doesn't sound right. sorry.
marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THe mommy in me is saying .. get a second opinion.. I dont see how they would want you to go do that .. Loooong after the fact.. and about putting her under.. I would have to say HELL NO.... that stuff is scary ... there are chances that your baby might not wake up .. it happenes! and I wouldnt put her under unless it is an absolute have to... sorry mama.. but please try to get a second opinion.. keep us updated
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im seriously considering a 2nd opinion from her regular dr. My problem is that they work together so she might just say to get it done anyway. I can't take her anywhere else, her insurance won't cover it either. The dr said that she just wants to be safe and triple check that nothing is wrong with her brain, she says that it can't be seen on an xray. Well I know for a fact that she's wrong because we have xrays done on my son once a year for hydrocephalus..and I also know that they dont HAVE to sedate them because several times UofM let me just feed him a bottle while they did it or would let me rock him to sleep. This hospital is not good..but there is nowhere else to go, they wont send me and my insurance wont cover anywhere else (state insurance sucks). The bump is from a fall from her standing up on something and falling over...it's for sure NOT from the fall from the crib...the bump was showed up a week AFTER that happened.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
foxflame88
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree with the others.. find out why they are waiting so long after the fact to do additional (seemingly unneccesary) tests.

And how come you didn't IM me about my princess?!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Get YOUR dd drs opinion.

I hated the family dr we had (well dh and ds had) and I switched to another dr in the practice and hes great. I refuse to see the other dr and its been about 2yrs now.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
tmries
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you're being picked on! (Doctors on a witch hunt!)
Yes, sedate if you go through with the scan but that's IF!
Why? - after so long is right!
Can't this doctor check her hearing, her eyes, her reflexes without putting her through the grief of a scan.
How old is she?
My daughter is/was far more reckless than her super cautious big brother. A good day was when she only bumped her head ONCE! At one year she climbed out OVER the crib railing and fell. (I had to put the mattress on the floor so she couldn't reach the railing top.)
I say, "All Girls are geniuses, we just hit our heads so much, we grow-up to be average intelligence."
You may be trapped into this now. Ask this concerned doctor if it's possible to perform less invasive tests instead of a scan. They need her sedated so she doesn't panic "inside" and bump her head some more.
If she appears to be thriving and advancing fine at home then why stress the whole family out?
Tracy
tmries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely check on the food thing. You don't want to go and them say we can't do it.
As for the sedation I totally understand your worries! When my DD had to be sedated because of surgery I was so nervous. She really didn't have any issues. She did complain of pain but she probably was in pain. But she didn't have any other issues. She came home about 4 hrs after surgery.
I don't think they put them under the same thing as surgery. I would check it out.
If you want to wait to talk to her normal Dr. I totally understand that. You have to do what you feel is right.
But me being the worry wart I am I would have it checked out. There are things that may not show up now. Even though the bump is going down and she is acting normal.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxflame88 View Post
I totally agree with the others.. find out why they are waiting so long after the fact to do additional (seemingly unneccesary) tests.

And how come you didn't IM me about my princess?!
We've been crazy busy with opening our store and getting it situated.

DH is being a pain and wont take the time off to go with me and support me on this, he says just to get a letter from the dr, but I need SUPPORT to show her that its UNNECESSARY!! My best friend is in OH till tonight but said that she'd go with me tomorrow but can't be here till 4pm because she works till 3pm. Add into the fact that we just closed a CPS case that included potential medical neglect (school tried to say our son wasn't treated for a condition), I don't wanna mess with CPS again..so Im leary to upset the dr's office and go against their word.