Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
luvmykiddoes
COOP HOSTESS
sitesupporter
seller
seller

vaxing or delayed vaxing ?'s

I was wondering why people don't vax or choose to delay vaxing?

Please no debates I am just looking for good reliable information at this point. Thank you for any info you can share with me.

Advertisement

luvmykiddoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: vaxing or delayed vaxing ?'s

For me it's a couple of things,these are just a few, there is alot of stuff in vaxs that I don't feel comfortable putting into a teeny baby, baby is getting immunities from me for quite a while and the chances of us coming in contact with most of the VPD's is next to zero for quite a while, so I feel like why not delay. I'm not one for arguments or debates, so that's where I will leave it.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I feel it is unecessary to put those things like mercury and fromaldahide in my baby's tiny body. I will vax selectively when i feel she is ready. we are EBF, so i dont feel there is a need yet.
There is only a few we are going to do anyway. dtap and menigitis.

Last edited by ktmelody; 06-20-2007 at 09:29 AM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:33 AM   #4
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
There is only a few we are going to do anyway. Pertussis and menigitis.
FWIW you can't get pertussis alone.

TO the OP - Many moms feel the benefits of the vaccines do not outweight the risks.

Good luck in your quest
Old 06-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I feel it is unecessary to put those things like mercury and fromaldahide in my baby's tiny body. I will vax selectively when i feel she is ready. we are EBF, so i dont feel there is a need yet.
There is only a few we are going to do anyway. Pertussis and menigitis.
The Pertussis vaccine doesn't work at all. Not even a little bit. I'm terrified of Whooping Cough and do NOT want DS to get it, but the more I researched the vaccine I found there wasn't a reason in the world to get it. And ditto the PP you can't get it alone, you have to get it in the DTaP form.

We don't vaccinate right now. He will more than likely get 2-4 as he gets older. But by older I mean, middle or high school more than likely. My main reason is that most do not work, or do not work well enough to put my son at risk for all the others things that vaccines can cause. When he was tiny I wouldn't vaccinate because I feel that vaccines, especially the DTaP, are tightly linked to SIDS and that wasn't a chance I was willing to take.

If they could make safer vaccines I would not be against them. Currently though, I don't feel that injecting my son with monkey cells, formaldahyde, and aluminum is in his best interest.

ETA: There have been a couple threads with your exact question in them recently. You might do a search and see what you can find.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is a sticky at the top of this forum with lots of good links that you can check out. I think for me, one of the things that first got my attention was looking at the recommended schedule (from the CDC and AAP) and the catch-up schedule. There is a huge difference! Part of it is because some of the diseases pose less risk as children get older but part of it is because the vaccines are less effective before the babies' bodies are mature. That realization got me started asking questions and doing research and trying to figure out why the recommended schedule is what it is. The conclusion I came to was that the reasons are not what they should be. For instance, I read on the CDC website that efforts to get people who are at high risk for Hep B to get vaccinated have been mostly unsuccessful so they have decided to recommend the vaccine to babies to see if that helps lower the incidence of the disease as these children get older. What's more, the AAP only wants children to have the first Hep B vaccine before 4 months (I think that's right...it's been a while since I looked at it) but the babies that are more "at-risk" are more likely to not be brought in for well baby checkups and shots so they try to go ahead and give the shot when the baby is born, just to get it over with in case the mother doesn't keep up with the vaxes.

The more I've read, the more questions I've found (and not many satisfactory answers) so I've decided to hold off on vaccinating until I am more sure.

I highly recommend the book "What your doctor may not tell you about childhood vaccinations" by Dr. Stephanie Cave. I recently checked out the older version of the book from the library but it's good enough that I decided to buy the new version for myself. She is a pediatrician who noticed some interesting trends in her practice and started asking questions and doing research on her own. She is not anti-vax, she is anti-parents-being-bullied.

Good luck with your quest for information!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Tiffer23;1313801]The Pertussis vaccine doesn't work at all. Not even a little bit. I'm terrified of Whooping Cough and do NOT want DS to get it, but the more I researched the vaccine I found there wasn't a reason in the world to get it. And ditto the PP you can't get it alone, you have to get it in the DTaP form.[QUOTE]

I know you cant get it alone, i just could not remember the name of it....no reason to be snarky. Plus it is MY OPINION on whether or not I give it to my child. i have done my research and feel that that vaccine should be given to my child. I also stated that I was not vaccinating now or any time soon. I dont care what you choose to do, please be respectful. The OP asked for no debating. No reason to bash my decision, last I knew I was the other of my children, not you.
I have spent many hours researching vaccines and what I feel my children need. I dont need to hear it from you.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My stance is on my newest website at Natural Living

Last edited by mandikaake; 06-20-2007 at 10:01 AM.
mandikaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I know you cant get it alone, i just could not remember the name of it....no reason to be snarky. Plus it is MY OPINION on whether or not I give it to my child. i have done my research and feel that that vaccine should be given to my child. I also stated that I was not vaccinating now or any time soon. I dont care what you choose to do, please be respectful. The OP asked for no debating. No reason to bash my decision, last I knew I was the other of my children, not you.
I have spent many hours researching vaccines and what I feel my children need. I dont need to hear it from you.
Um.... how was that snarky? And I wasn't debating or bashing your opinion, simply stating a fact based on what I've researched. It's the scariest vaccine, imo, even above the MMR. Some people haven't done the research and don't know that the studies show it to be completely ineffective, I was just letting you know in case. If you believe it works and want your child to have it, give it to him/her. I honestly don't see why my comment fussed you up so much. Your kids, your choice. I just made a comment.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
we don't vax. at all.

Well for one, you're more likely to get an adverse reaction from a vaccine than you are to get teh disease.

2. I (and my kids) have an immune system for a reason. I believe kids SHOULD be exposed to non life threatening diseases as children becuase they are called childhood illnesses for a reason. Take mumps for example. It used to be considered a run of the mill, nothing to worry about disease that you get once when you're a kid and then never get again. Then we started vaccinating for it. But unlike natural immunity, vaccine immunity does not last forever, making you more susceptible to it at an older age. Childhood illnesses are meant for children, not teens and adults and therefore much more likely to cause complications when not caught as a child. Hence the mumps outbreak around here. Lots of people caught it. Lots of people got sick. Lots of people were miserable for a few days. Nobody suffered long term complications. Nobody died. Everyone that caught it now has immunity for life and will never have to worry about it. Chicken pox, IMO, should be the same way.

3. There are some NASTY things in vaccines. Thimerosal (mercury), Aluminum, Formeldehyde, chicken eggs, monkey cells, etc. Stuff I don't want my baby to be injected with.

4. SIDS and Autism. 'Nuff said. (yes I know the autism one is debatable, but to me it's no coincidence measles is often found in the gut of the autistic).

5. With a vaccine, the disease is injected into the body. That's much different than inhaling droplets of an infected person (this excludes STD's obviously). It doesn't give your body any chance to defend itself whereas if you inhale it you have nose hairs, the lungs, the digestive tract, etc.

6. My kids are HEALTHY. My dd1 has never had more than a mild fever and even then only twice, dd2 has never had the slightest bit of the sniffles or an ear infection. I SAH so they're naturally at a much less risk than daycare kids but we go everywhere. The only time I wash her hands is after she uses the potty, gets ahold of herself during diaper changes or before she eats if we've just been outside. I'm by no means a germaphobe. They are sick much less than the average 10 times a year ( do kids really get sick that much?!) and I believe it's because we're not pre-occupying their immune system with heavy metals, toxins, and 5 diseases all at once plus not running out of germ filled dr.'s offices all the time. (We go at 2weeks, 2 months, 12months, then yearly).

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote