Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
kmdchuckles
Registered Users
seller

HELP! stinky mornings

My DS who is 14 months old sleeps for 12 hours a night. And when he gets up in the morning, wow his diaper is wet and stinky. It smells like ammonia (I think), the smell reminds me of the outhouses at camp when I was a kid. We use organic cotton prefolds with a doubler, either cotton or microfiber/fleece and a wool cover. Is this just the nature of the long spell or is it something like my washing routine? The diaper pail now reaks too and we've had to move it to the laundry room. And after being gone for 3 days over the weekend, we returned home to find our house smells (and the diaper pail was empty while we were gone). Any ideas??

Advertisement

Crunchy granola christian momma to one chunky monkey (4/06) and one sweet peanut (9/08) and wife to one loving, cooking, diaper changing saint to have married me!

Last edited by kmdchuckles; 06-20-2007 at 12:16 PM.
kmdchuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
topview
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: stinky mornings

We have stink issues with night diapers too. I ended up doing sposies at night until I can come up with a non stinky night solution
Old 06-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
funkyg
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's what I did...

I tried bleach...but the smell would come back after a few days or a week. So, I decided to use specific inserts and diapers for nighttime only. I marked them on the tag so I could tell them apart from daytime. Anyways, when they became stinky again...I boil the inserts for 20-30 minutes (after they are clean) and then toss them in the washer again....voila! I have to boil every 2-3 weeks or so, but that's easy to do anyways!
funkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
MichaelsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyg View Post
Here's what I did...

I tried bleach...but the smell would come back after a few days or a week. So, I decided to use specific inserts and diapers for nighttime only. I marked them on the tag so I could tell them apart from daytime. Anyways, when they became stinky again...I boil the inserts for 20-30 minutes (after they are clean) and then toss them in the washer again....voila! I have to boil every 2-3 weeks or so, but that's easy to do anyways!
What a great idea! I'm going to have to try that!
Jillian , loving wife to Michael (lll), mommy to Michael (lV) , Brianna and expecting #3 in September
MichaelsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
alasich
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: HELP! stinky mornings

I do the same thing (use only specific dipes, boil inserts).

Also, I soak the morning diaper in a sink of cold water and vinegar (or sometimes Dawn) for a couple of hours while I go about my morning routine.