Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Belle's Mamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rant: Baby Bjorn doesn't count as babywearing?

So I went to this AP/Natural Parenting group today and one of the mammas there was talking about babywearing & made an offhand comment about Mamma who put their babys in a Baby Bjorn aren't really "babywearing."

Aparently she had initially missed the Baby Bjorn sitting on the floor next to me...

Now I know that the Baby Bjorn isn't a carrier that's very "in" w/ a lot of babywearing mammas. Heck, I don't even think they look that comfy for baby...but it's the one I wear her in the most. Why? b/c it's DD's favorite. I also have a pouch sling, an Ergo, 2 MTs & a RS. I choose to use the carrier that my DD prefers b/c I wear her FOR her.

Last I checked, babywearing was not about the specific carrier that your baby was in?

I know I shouldn't take it to heart, but I was so hurt. This was only the second time I'd been to this group and I was so excited to join it. Before joing DS, I didn't know anyone who CD, wore thier baby, belived in AP, etc. I just did these things b/c they were right for me and for DD. So imagine how excited I am to meet some mammas IRL who belive that these things are a part of good parenting. Now imagine how I feel when one of the mammas who had been a part of this group says this...and then doesn't say anything when she does see the Bjorn next to me

Advertisement

Belle's Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rant: Baby Bjorn doesn't count as babywearing?

That's just.... ugh. Lame. Sorry, mama.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
BRIDEN
Registered Users
Formerly: brveille
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry mama . THat was rotten of her to even say.. Did she say anything to you later?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IMHO, Babywearing is babywearing. It doesn't matter if it's a Bjorn, Snugli, MT. As long as you're doing it. Don't let those kinda comment bother you mama.

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ooooooo A babywearing snob!

That's too bad... I have a bjorn and another "structured" carrier aside from my pouch and ring sling. My son LOVED the bjorn, especially when he was really tiny and could face forward. He didn't love the pouch so much.
That's too bad that your group is snarky and snobby. That stinks...
Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

You could tie a baby onto you with a rope and it would be babywearing IMO. Well, you know, tie it really good if you're going to use a rope. In any case, the baby is on you - you're babywearing.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom View Post
You could tie a baby onto you with a rope and it would be babywearing IMO. Well, you know, tie it really good if you're going to use a rope. In any case, the baby is on you - you're babywearing.
Exactly.
I mean, I'm a bit anti-Bjorn just because of the way it causes DC to sit directly over their coccyx vs. in a curved sitting position, so I try to advertise for other carriers when friends are looking, but I'm PSYCHED to see my friends using anything at all knowing that BW in a Bjorn is as AP as they're going to get.
I prob would've said something, personally. At least to remind them that there are people w/ feelings around them and they're going to have a tough time keeping members if they insult the large majority of the population who knows of nothing more than the readily-available carriers.
What a turd.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Piperdanai
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As a teacher of babywearing. . .I say if you wear your child, even in a bjorn, that's better than having them away from you. Bjorns are considered babywearing over at TBW, you just aren't as nuts as the rest of us LOL And that's a good thing!!
Piperdanai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwaitingalongtime View Post
Exactly.
I mean, I'm a bit anti-Bjorn just because of the way it causes DC to sit directly over their coccyx vs. in a curved sitting position, so I try to advertise for other carriers when friends are looking, but I'm PSYCHED to see my friends using anything at all knowing that BW in a Bjorn is as AP as they're going to get.
I prob would've said something, personally. At least to remind them that there are people w/ feelings around them and they're going to have a tough time keeping members if they insult the large majority of the population who knows of nothing more than the readily-available carriers.
What a turd.
I agree. I always feel kinda mixed when I see a baby in a Bjorn or snugglie or whatever. I'm excited that they're being worn, but I feel bad, like I need to tell the parent that the way they're wearing the baby isn't really great for baby's body/development, ect. But I still consider it babywearing!
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote