Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Measles outbreak scaring into MMR?

I was planning on getting my DS his MMR Vx around 15 months, I AM going to get it but I wanted to delay it. Meanwhile all over the news theres this measles outbreak about 2 hours from here. People from our city and the city with the outbreak tend to go back and forth a lot so it isn't at all out of the realm of possibility that we could come into contact with it. I really wanted to wait but I really am getting more and more scared about delaying it. People around here don't tend to Vx very much (I live in a "crunchy" state, I don't mean that as a bad thing, I am pretty crunchy myself (bfing, CDing, etc). But the fact that I KNOW there are people out there in my city/ state un-Vxed worries me.

WWYD? Would you delay it and hope the outbreak doesn't get closer and stay holed up in the house? Or would you just get it at the 1 year appt like the pedi says are "supposed" to?

Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Measles outbreak scaring into MMR?

Well I hate to say it but measles is not a scary disease. Also, if you get the vax now, that is just the first dose and your child wouldn't have any immunity from it for quite sometime.

I would just wait. Honestly if you contract it your immunity will be lifelong and it will most likely be a rash and fever for a few days.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

plus what do they consider an outbreak, in my hometown of over 1 million they considered 3 ppl and outbreak, it's usually blown out of porportion.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
Well I hate to say it but measles is not a scary disease. Also, if you get the vax now, that is just the first dose and your child wouldn't have any immunity from it for quite sometime.

I would just wait. Honestly if you contract it your immunity will be lifelong and it will most likely be a rash and fever for a few days.

Ditto. Are you getting the CP vaccine for your LO? Measles are no worse than CP. Neither are fun, but it's extremely rare for there to be any serious issues from them.

And having un-vaxed people in your state doesn't make a lick of difference. I'm willing to bet 90% of the adults around you are not up to date on their boosters making them exactly the same as the un-vaxed people technically. Plus, ANYONE can carry a disease, even the vaxed kids/adults. And more times than most they are the ones that have diseases that have been forced to evolve and they are way scarier than the originals.

Last edited by JustAugust; 06-20-2007 at 07:37 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Ditto. Are you getting the CP vaccine for your LO? Measles are no worse than CP. Neither are fun, but it's extremely rare for there to be any serious issues from them.

And having un-vaxed people in your state doesn't make a lick of difference. I'm willing to bet 90% of the adults around you are not up to date on their boosters making them exactly the same as the un-vaxed people technically. Plus, ANYONE can carry a disease, even the vaxed kids/adults. And more times than most they are the ones that have diseases that have been forced to evolve and they are way scarier than the originals.

Here the MMR and the CP Vx are the same one, they are a combined one. So if I get one I get the other.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2BabyAaron View Post
Here the MMR and the CP Vx are the same one, they are a combined one. So if I get one I get the other.
You can ask to have them seperated. I did that with the DTaP. (not sure if those are the right initals....)

Last edited by daisyprincess98; 06-20-2007 at 09:35 PM.
daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2BabyAaron View Post
Yep, you can even get the M M & R seperate. You usually have to go through the health Department but they are all available by themself. Even Tetnus which is usually always told you have to get a the Td but you can get the Tetnus by itself also.

I still would not get the measles vaccine. Start taking lots of Vit C now, like 500 mg a day for your son and 2-4,000 for you.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

EEK! I had no idea they combined those two now. I would definitely stay away from it then. That is a massive amount of yuckyness to introduce all at once to a 15-18 month old!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 AM   #9
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

I would IMO prefer to have my child get the measles and life long immunity... Heck like PP said, its just like the CP basically... Then I dont have to worry about my child ever getting it later in life, when the vaccine was bound to wear off, or not even work....
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #10
SahmIam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't get it out of fear. I would get it because you cannot rely on herd immunity, apparently not where you live anyway. I wouldn't say that measles is not a serious disease though. Worldwide it kills more people than breast cancer or drowning, and I'm worried about those things so I don't hesitate to vax. If you want to find out how deadly something actually is you have to find research based on populations that don't have herd immunity. But you also have to consider that if your lo is in good general health the chances of dying from something like measles is far less than the overall population since those numbers include everyone, not just people in VT, kwim? Go with your gut.