Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 AM   #11
EvansMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Measles outbreak scaring into MMR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
Well I hate to say it but measles is not a scary disease. Also, if you get the vax now, that is just the first dose and your child wouldn't have any immunity from it for quite sometime.

I would just wait. Honestly if you contract it your immunity will be lifelong and it will most likely be a rash and fever for a few days.

My son is up to date, but if I had my time back I would have at least delayed for a few years.
I think there ARE diseases that would be really scary for my son to get, but measles is not all that bad when you think about it. Not life threatening.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

A great info thread talking about the risk of measles complications vs. the risk of the MMR http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=measles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahmIam View Post
I wouldn't get it out of fear. I would get it because you cannot rely on herd immunity, apparently not where you live anyway. I wouldn't say that measles is not a serious disease though. Worldwide it kills more people than breast cancer or drowning, and I'm worried about those things so I don't hesitate to vax. If you want to find out how deadly something actually is you have to find research based on populations that don't have herd immunity. But you also have to consider that if your lo is in good general health the chances of dying from something like measles is far less than the overall population since those numbers include everyone, not just people in VT, kwim? Go with your gut.
You can not compare death rates worldwide to deathrates here. There are way way to many other factors. Access to quality health care, plumbing, overal sanitation issues, nutrition, ect. In the US 2 out of every 1,000 people affected with measles will die from complications, worldwide it is 150 out of every 1,000.

AlsoAccording to WHO 345,000 deaths were attributed to measles world wide in 2005, the chart here shows about 360,000 breastcancer deaths world wide. http://www.imaginis.com/breasthealth/statistics.asp so it does not appear that that is a vaild statistic.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #13
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

More from WWHO

. The overwhelming majority (> 95%) of measles deaths occur in countries with per capita Gross National Income of less than US $1000.

Severe complications from measles can be avoided through proper clinical management. General nutritional support and the treatment of dehydration with oral rehydration solution are necessary. Antibiotics should be prescribed for treating eye and ear infections and pneumonia. To improve survival, it is important that children with measles receive adequate nutrition and fluids.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

measles scares me WAY less than getting the MMR