Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Special tricks for toddler constipation?

apple juice, prunes, lots of fruits, water, more fruit.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #12
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Foods that start with a "P" work great-apples and bananas are not good for me at all, but peaches, prunes, pears and etc!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #13
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

popcorn! If they are old enough to eat it...
Old 06-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #14
CamoMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I know that I can always tell when DH has forgotten to limit the amount of grapes my girls snack on....within 12 hours, their little intestines are cleaned out quite thoroughly! Raisins always do the same thing!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #15
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The chiropractor - seriously. Dd was constipated to the point that one day she ran around screaming, "ca-ca! ca-ca!" (her word for poop) and grabbing her little hiney. I felt horrible for her, gave her a sopository and before long, all was better.

Well, last Friday I took her to the chiro and mentioned she had been consitpated. He examined her and told me that the area of her back where the nerves gather that control the organs that control elimination was out of alignment. Friday afternoon, she pooped. Saturday she pooped 3 times. Sunday she pooped. Monday she pooped. Tuesday she pooped. No poop yesterday, though. This is the best it's been in weeks for her.

And we had tried psyllium seed husk and flax seed (ground for both) in her soy yogurt. They initially worked and then I guess her body adjusted to them. She's not big on juice.

But, we also do pears and plums. She likes those. The "p" foods are supposed to keep things moving.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #16
susnrob
Registered Users
seller

My boys love yobaby yogurt. They have it 3 times a day. The yobaby drinkable yogurt is great too! They also have pear juice diluted with water once a day. They have fruit with every meal too. Never have a problem with the poop in this house.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #17
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

Oh momma, toddler constipation sucks!

We had to take DD to the emerg once cause of it. We had to cut back on dairy, that's what seemed to start the whole problem. Now to manage it we give her 1/2 a teaspoon of flax oil a day. It's not enough to cause dependancy but it's enough to grease up the poo so it doesn't hurt coming out. Plus flax oil is super good for you, high in omega 3 fats.
maggie_may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #18
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wait the chiropractor? wow I never thought of that. My son is 6 and he has been severly constipated since 1. We have TRIED EVERYTING and he has had every procedure known to man to find out the problem. He only goes with a supposatory and witholds severly. He has ended up in the ER with an NG tube many times, none has ever mentioned a chiropractor? I wonder if this could be his problem too?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #19
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
Raisins, corn-on-the-cob (or OFF the cob, but ON is more fun to eat!), blueberries, dried fruits... I wouldn't do any sugary juices at all.

I wouldn't go the Dr's route, but that might be me bucking the system. I've heard of some sad/scary stories involving lotsa juice in babes...as in, they can't STOP pooping and it scares them/gives them bad rashes, etc.

My boys are ones that get rashes (bad!!) from fruit juices..and we hardly EVER do juices. I gave him some apple juice last night (that I had to stop and specially buy) and he hates it. He refuses to drink it. I went ahead and did the tbsp of milk of magnesia and at about 9a this morning he had a MAJOR explosive blow-out. He came walking up to me with poop dripping out of his diaper and he was making a face and saying, "poop, mommy! poop!"

Now that he's cleared out, I'm going to try to use some of your guys' more natural approaches!!
Old 06-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #20
2Boys1Girl4Me
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What keeps my DD most regular is dried fruit-raisins, craisins and apricots are her favorites. I see a drastic drop in frequency when she's not eating dried fruit. My 4y/o DS has struggled with constipation for a loooong time and one thing that goes straight through him and my DD is mandarin oranges. They make for nasty diapers but they get the job done

Like others have said, this is the perfect time of year for lots of fresh fruit and we've been buying whatever the kids think they'll eat when we see it and so far they've eaten everything we've tried! Apples, bananas, nectarines, canteloupe, oranges, grapes and berries are on the list of current favorites here.

As much fluid as possible will help, water preferably. I let them drink flavored water and avoid juices, too much milk and any other sugared drinks.