Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #21
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Special tricks for toddler constipation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amielia80 View Post
wait the chiropractor? wow I never thought of that. My son is 6 and he has been severly constipated since 1. We have TRIED EVERYTING and he has had every procedure known to man to find out the problem. He only goes with a supposatory and witholds severly. He has ended up in the ER with an NG tube many times, none has ever mentioned a chiropractor? I wonder if this could be his problem too?
I highly recommend it. DD drinks water like a fish, loves raisins, watermelon, yogurt, grapes, pears, etc. And nothing. When it does show up (or out!) it has been a strain. I was amazed at how productive the adjustment was. Dr. said he was pushing her "poop button" and that I'd better have plenty of diapers ready! And boy, was he right!

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #22
playingoutside
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok here is my list, we have had problems with constipation since ds was 9 weeks old and ebf. we stopped going to a pediatrician when they wanted to do a bowel biopsy!! we went to see a naturopathic ped instead and have had a ton of success!! we are off myralax (a powder laxative) completely and now all natural stuff is the key for us! we still bf, no dairy or bananas...ds takes 200mg of magnesium caltrate a day (you can get this at any store that sells vitamins just smash up a pill and put it in his stewed prunes...yep homemade stewed prunes daily, just a tbsp or so for us). magnesium is an osmotic laxative it helps the colon absorb liquid, there is also no problem with accidental overdose since the body will only absorb what it needs and the rest sits in the colon (where you want it anyway!). for harder (no pun intended ) days. a 1000mg dose of vit. c works great for getting the poop to come out, in large doses it works as a laxative in kids. you can crush up a pill or use the "emergen-c" powder. just lick your finger and dip it in and have kiddo lick it off, or have him do it himself. I've also been told that sena syrup works too (we have not tried this) but apparently it is something you can get at the store?

diet wise try to stay away from foods with little liquid content (crackers etc) and try frozen berries, melon, and the like (things with a high liquid content). and as much to drink as possible!!

hth...

good luck!!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #23
playingoutside
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh yeah,

fish oil...ds takes a tsp of cod liver oil (orange flavored) everyday. any of his daily things would work on a not so perm. schedule..he just takes them daily because he apparently has a weak colon.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #24
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ya we are off the miralax too it did nothing and DS wouldn't drink it..we tried mineral oil same thein. He i very limited as to waht he'll take in as he is extremly sensitive to tastes. We try to get fish oil into him every day. I feel like we tried it all and I take my son 2 hours away to a great doc. who just started him on aloe vera juice just thought I'd share that too.