Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaning from bottle HELP PLEASE

Thanks mamas, maybe Ill just hold off alittle longer and let him have the bottle, I just HATE seeing 2yr olds running around talking with a bottle,lol and I dont want that to be my son, but I also have to take into consideration, that even though hes just about 14months he was also born at 34 weeks, so really he would have JUST turned a yr. I have a couple of the nuby cups and HATE them ds chews on them, but like a previous poster said, I can also hold a cup up to him or even the tupperware cups and he will take a few sips from them, but they are not spill proof, so we only put water in them because its all over if we dont.
Thanks
LuAnn

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #12
bbjbryner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hey there. My DD is doing the same. She's 13 months but my other daughter just went right to a sippy cup at her 1st birthday no problem. This kiddo throws any sippy cups she's offered and I've got her to drink out of them when I force them in her mouth (nicely but you know do it all for her) and she's good with a regular cup for a few sips too. But she gets frustrated and wants the bottle back. She won't even TRY to learn how to suck from the sippy cup. I just keep offering and when she gets too frustrated, I give her the bottle. My pediatrician says they should be off the bottle by 15 months for good teeth development and I really wanted her off by 12 because it worked great for my 1st DD but this kid is stubborn! I also don't like seeing 2 & 3 year olds walking around with bottles because I know it's not good for their teeth. My kid can't really understand the, "Let's throw these away," idea but my 1st DD did well with that at 15 months for her pacifiers, so maybe this kid will be able to be off the bottle at that age with that reasoning. "Oops, no more bottles!" Good luck! You're not alone!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

I had no problems weaning my DD off the bottle at 12 months, she was fine with it, no problems. BUT - she did take a pacifier until she was 2. DS is another story!! He quit the paci on his own at about 8 months, he still nurses, which is great, but mainly for comfort about 3-4 times a day. He does still get a bottle about 2-3 times a day (with 2% milk). He likes a sippy however, and will take milk from it, juice, water, whatever. He just wants that bottle, esp if I am not around to nurse when he is tired or whatever. I asked my ped. about it last week, if I should be worried or try to take it away. He said not to worry about it yet, his exact words were, "I don't know what to tell you, because when I took my boys (he has 3) off the bottle, they completely quit drinking milk." He said as long as he takes liquids from a cup at this point, just be easy about the bottle weaning.

For the record, I don't like seeing big kids with bottles either, but I don't let DS run around with a bottle in his mouth ever. He has to be sitting in a lap or on the sofa or whatever to get the bottle and if he throws it down or starts playing with it, we take it away. Oh, and we NEVER give it to him in his crib!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

We are weaning DS, 18 months from his bottle right now. My other children were breast fed only and transition to a cup seamed so much easier. Anyhow, DS has sensory issues and the Early Intervention people want us to wean him from his bottles so this is what we have been doing, on their advice....we have been watering down the bottles bit by bit. It's taken us a couple of months, but he has learned that the milk he likes is in the cups and the bottles he loved so much aren't full of that yummy milk he loves so much. He's now down to two bottles a day, the morning and right before bed bottles and they only have about 2 ounces of milk, the rest is water. It's safe and it won't hurt him like curdled milk if he drinks it and it encourages him to look for his milk in the cup and get his calories in other places instead of the bottles. We've come a long way...because of his sensory issues (SID) he was up to 1 gallon of milk in 24 hours and now he's down to a much more reasonable amount.

Good luck...it's not easy! I wouldn't be worried about my DS weaning if it wasn't for daycare not allowing bottles in his toddler group and EI pushing us to get him off because they feel it's best. He actually went to bed tonight without a bottle for the first time ever!!! I bought him some of those cups with the flip up straw thingy and he used them today and I think that helped to satisfy his sucking needs....you have to find what works best for your child.
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are going through the same thing. My pedi is great, and said as long as she wasn't dragging the bottles around sucking on them all day, he didn't have a problem with her having them until 2.5 even, if she just drank the milk and put it aside and didn't go to bed with one. I don't want her to have one that long, though...She is 20 mos now. I EBF until 12 mos, then used a bottle to help her wean. Bad idea...she got very attatched to it and only associated milk coming from a bottle. We are making progress, though. I started only giving her a bottle at nap or before bed (we brush teeth after the bottle.) When she asks for milk at other times during the day I give it to her in a cup. She hasn't been too receptive to that, and sometimes throws it down--it's clear she wants the milk in the bottle, but she doesn't get it. When she wants it enough, she'll drink it from the cup. Our next task will be to move to the cup before naps and bed. We have a new baby coming in Aug., and I'd really like her to be done with bottles before then. You are definitely not alone!
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote