Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Someone just tell me what to buy...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenotdoctor View Post
Welcome to the world of CD addiction!

Advertisement

mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #12
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmumma View Post
Do you have a recommendation for knitting patterns for the longies? It has been years since I have done any knitting, but it might be fun to give it a try! My mom does a ton of knitting too, so I could always recruit her too :-)

Why does something so gross, seem like so much fun??!! cloth diapers....who knew?

Just don't tell sposie users about your enjoyment of diapering. THey'll think you're nuts

The absolute simplest/cheapest way to go would be to get some infant prefolds and trifold them into a wrap (prowraps, BSWW...)
I personally needed something prettier and went w/ the old standby (according to the CD group on Ovusoft) of FB pockets. I got a ton off of Craigslist (which repelled like crazy and needed a ridiculous amt. of stripping. Others had old elastic which required repairs that made me crazy)--I'd stick w/ a mama on here w/ a lot of fdbk. if you go this route so you can trust they're in good condition (SO many people get burned on eBay from what I've seen around these boards.)

Eventually, the novelty of FB colors, as well as stuffing pockets grew boring, so I went w/ AI2s--easy for DH, MIL & nanny and dependable while out and about.

Now, a year later, I still use AI2s during the day and prefitteds at night (or in case of a rash), if not fitteds w/ wool. Took us awhile to give in to wool because of the care and expense, so covers like WWB are cute, inexpensive and easy to care for.

There are several paid patterns you can get for wool (check out the knitters on HC to see which patterns they use)-- Belladonna Designs on there sells one, for example, with nice rows in the crotch. Lots of mamas on here have picked up knitting easily and, in turn, started their own little businesses. Some started w/ crochet, others expanded their basic knitting skills. Lots of classes out there to refresh your memory w/ knitting being so popular. (I, personally could never crochet a straight chain, but I buy from all those mamas who can

So...try some prefolds (or prefitteds like you're getting) w/ simple covers and go from there. PFs are cheap and you don't have to worry about repelling, using special creams, line drying, etc. like you do w/ fleece lined pockets or AI2s. PP is right about Indian PFs being softer, but perhaps not as long-wearing as Chinese, but I use Indian both in my business and personally and have yet to see any wear on them and they're significantly softer and fluffier--WAY softer than bleached anything. There's a coop getting ready to close here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/comfycreations for cheap UBIPFs--they're really affordable, bought by the dozen.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
thestafs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

can I ask why so many people like fitteds? I don't knwo anything about them. Are they like pfs but with velcro? please enlighten...
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #14
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

fitteds are an ACTUAL diaper w/no water proof lining. They tend to have more layers than prefolds and have different types of materials they can be made out of. You can get them with pretty prints on the outside AND they come with snaps or velcro depending on the maker.
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #15
mamavegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loved kissaluv 0's for my exclusively breastfed newborn. They contained the poop EVERY single time. I used those and bummis super whisper wraps over them. My babe outgrew them just before 3 months, but that's when I discovered Fuzzi Bunz and the small size in those fit him for about another month. I had prefolds when DS was a newborn, but was apprehensive about them and didn't find the love for them until the KL0's didn't fit and I only had a few FBs.

All that to say, I loved my Kissaluv 0's for my newborn. I recommend you get at least a dozen of those and a dozen prefolds and 2 or 3 snappis. Oh, and bummis covers. It's great that you want to try so many kinds, but sometimes it's good to just start simple. I only had 24 to start with, once I figured out I loved KL0's I ordered more and they took only a few days to come in.

However, not everything works for everyone. There are plenty of people here who hate Kissaluvs, so you just have to find what works for you.

I'm no help! LOL
Old 06-23-2007, 03:56 AM   #16
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwaitingalongtime View Post
The absolute simplest/cheapest way to go would be to get some infant prefolds and trifold them into a wrap (prowraps, BSWW...)

I had 20 indian infant prefolds and 8 Kissaluvs 0's for my newborn. I used 5 Prowrap covers and 2 Bummis Super Whisper Wraps too and just trifolded the prefolds into the wraps and used no pins or snappi's (I hated snappis). It worked out fine for me but I had a few times where I was running short and had to scramle to get the laundry done faster. I would have liked to have a few more Kissaluvs and about 10 more prefolds. Really for infant use you don't need anything fancy or pretty. You change them so often that it really doesn't matter. I also left the house very rarely so had no need to show anything off. I saved my money for pretty stuff for later.
After that I still used the prefolds and had a few Kissluvs 1's and several Fuzzi Bunz smalls. This lasted us until about 4 -ish month if I remember correctly. Then we went on to FB mediums and other stuff. HTH, Danni

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:39 AM   #17
mandalynnne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can tell you what we have for my newborn.

34 kissaluvs size 0 fitteds (still on the smallest setting)
2 kissaluvs size nb/xmall contours (and 3 more on the way)
10 Bummis super whisper wraps size nb
2 WAHM nb covers
1 Swaddlebees Fleece Cover
22 Infant prefolds
1 Embroidered AIO (it was custom, so it does fit)
2 Swaddlebees fleece pockets (they don't fit yet)
1 Starbunz pocket (fits great)
1 Painted Patootie pocket (way too big)
1 Fitted WAHM (and 2 more on the way)

He's 5 weeks old now and still comfortably fitting into everything. We have lots more on the way now that I've started building my small stash.

WAHM behind TMD

ISO nothing! My girl is mostly pl'ed!
mandalynnne is offline   Reply With Quote