Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Kids and clothes, what would you do?

Ok, seeing how the last thread had some interest I figured I'd post another scenario for you ladies....and you might be surprised by my own preference! What would you do if your pre-teen/teen came home and expressed a desire to go "goth"...meaning the all black, vampire kid look? Would you freak out, or would you say, not a problem just no devil worship, lol?! I personally wouldn't care. My DH on the other hand would probably have a fit, though. I was recently speaking to an old aquaintance of mine, who was telling me about her 14 yo DD who wore all black and had people ask her if she was a devil worshiper (a kid who's super involved in her church, mind you), and her DD had made a comment that her clothing covered up more than the girls with the teeny weeny minis and middy shirts...and I would have to agree! When my kids poke fun at the goths at their schools, I tell them to give the kid/s a break, it's just a color (my fav. mind you, I got married in black)

Advertisement

ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kids and clothes, what would you do?

He he he, I was a goth in high school. Actually I was into the whole counter movement, goth and punk. I made some wonderful friends that way. And just for the record non of them were devil worshipers. Now dh says I'm a militant hippy (guess I never dropped the punk part ). If one of my boys came home saying they wanted to go goth, punk, hippy, whatever I would be more than happy to oblige them. Of course seeing as how they are both under 5 I think I might have a little while. Now if my kids came home and told me they wanted to dress preppy I might be a bit ill. But I would eventually get over it. I still believe that they should be able to wear what they want within reason.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't care, but DH would. I'm like hey let them be happy... DH is like let them dress how I want.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
He he he, I was a goth in high school. Actually I was into the whole counter movement, goth and punk. I made some wonderful friends that way. And just for the record non of them were devil worshipers. Now dh says I'm a militant hippy (guess I never dropped the punk part ). If one of my boys came home saying they wanted to go goth, punk, hippy, whatever I would be more than happy to oblige them. Of course seeing as how they are both under 5 I think I might have a little while. Now if my kids came home and told me they wanted to dress preppy I might be a bit ill. But I would eventually get over it. I still believe that they should be able to wear what they want within reason.
I know, isn't that funny about the preppy thing? I'm that way with the preppy cheer leader thing. BLECH. My kids make comments when they see the kids in our small village in all black, with the black overcoats down to their ankles and I think to myself "that was me less than ten years ago!". I'm surprised they're not more open, esp. since my step-kids deceased mom was a black wearing biker Harley b----. Even 6 years ago, people always asked me if I was depressed or going to a funeral, lol....nope, just love black (that and I had the Annie Lennox hairdo but in dark brown too!) The boots haven't gone away either. I love them. A hangover from my brief stint in the Army I guess - got preggers with my oldest DD and had to get out, bummer, I've wanted to go back in since then! now I'm too old and puggy.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:

I would totally be fine with it. When I was in high school wore combat boots and dyed my hair purple and black My husband is totally freakin' out about my daughters clothes now.....because she is into all the cute little tanks and skirts, always has bare shoulders or a bit of tummy showing. I'm ok with it though......she always looks cute. He just doesn't want ANY boys lookin' at her But, she's 12 1/2........I don't think he's gonna stop it!
Jemgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ahhh...but don't dis the preps too much. I dress it for the most part - look like I walked out of the LL Bean or J Jill catalogs, but I also have 6 tattoos, which throws the look for a loop.

IF ds ever came home that way I'd be fine with it...whatever he wants as long as it's not hurting himself or someone else. I don't want to squash any form of his self expression.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't mind but my DH would. He's real country from Alabama and "they just don't do stuff like that" LOL. I'm sure he'd lighten up as DS get's older. I used to dye my hair green, blue, purple and was in the Kurt Cobaine grunge look. My mother was not so pleased but still let me do as I wanted except for the gangster phase. SHe was not having any of that, now that I look back I'm glad she didn't. THe closest I got to that was the bugs bunny "gangsta" shirt. LOL. How gangster is that? As long as there is no drugs and it's not effecting his morals or school work I could care less.
marelle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

It wouldn't bother me. I would praise them for finding a way to express themselves and not be ashamed/embarrassed of being who they are.

When I was in Grade 9 mom bought me all black clothes(no idea why but most of them were black). Then when I was in Grade 10 she complained all my clothes were black, um you bought them for me. They were better than the slut bikini she bought me.lol It wasn't when she bought it, but my breasts grew more than the top covered a year later and I was large enough when she bought it. That 2nd year I never wore it without a shirt overtop, I was 14 it was way too revealing and I am not a prude. Friends used to tell me if I took my shirt off I'd have a boyfriend, even then I knew that wasn't how I wanted to get a boyfriend.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I wouldnt have a problem with it. I dont think it's particularly attractive (black jeans, black hoodies that kinda of thing) but the girls around here are dressing....uh...not how I would want to see my daughter at age 11. Last year my BIL graduated 8th grade and some of the girls and their "clothes" my jaw was on the floor. Boobs hangin out. Booties hangin out. Short short SHORT skirts, thongs hangin out. They looks liked strippers. So, I guess all black is better than that.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #10
raversangel
Banned

Quote:
It wouldn't bother me. I would praise them for finding a way to express themselves and not be ashamed/embarrassed of being who they are.
for some reason the US is soooo bent on the fact that if you wear all black its devil worship its just so silly what ppl think...i wouldn't mind at all, as a matter of fact i wear all black all the time, it goes to the mood i'm in...lol...so no i wouldn't mind...especially as some of the pp have said, the trend right now is wearing short short skirts and i couldn't belive the other day i saw thongs...yes thongs...at wal mart for girls!!! makes me glad i have all boys
raversangel is offline   Reply With Quote