Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
jiggalynz
Registered Users
seller

For those who keep their wipes in a sposie container...

Do they get musty or gross? I am switching over to cloth wipes and I was going to wet them with the solution in the sposie container but I was wondering if they would get musty.
Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
guysmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For those who keep their wipes in a sposie container...

I have been making my own wipes for about a month and keep them in an old wipes container. The only problem I had was when I made up a big batch of the solution and put in tons of baby washrags (what I use for wipes) and they didn't get wet enough I guess. They sat in there for a few days while my hubby and I went out of town and were stinky when we got back. It washed out and now I just make enough to last for a few days at a time and only put in about 5 washrags at a time. That was my only problem and it was a bit silly of me to have done that.

HTH!
guysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never had musty wipes. I use a travel wipes container, wipes wetbag, and wipes warmer.
The key, to me, is to boil the water before making the solution (or distilled, but boiling tap water's cheaper and easier) and either add a few drops of TTO or a solution that has some in it.
We make approx. 40 wipes at a time and they run out just as laundry day comes up (every 3d).
Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
susnrob
Registered Users
seller

I do not use a sposie container any more. Anytime I put my wipes in a covered container they would smell musty after only a couple hours. I have revised my system and it works well.

I keep dry wipes in a basket near the changing table. In the morning before I change them I will take about 8-12 wipes and wet them in the sink. I put them in an uncovered container on the changing table. I keep my wipe solution in a spray bottle. When it is time to change them I will either spray some wipe solution on the wet wipe or on their little bottoms. Throughout the day as needed I will put more wet wipes in the uncovered container. This method works very well and I never have musty wipes

My wipe solution spray bottle consists of 5-10 drops of GSE, 1-3 tbs Burts Bees Apricot baby oil, 1-4 squirts of baby wash. I fill the bottle up the rest of the way with water. This has been working well and the GSE in the wipe solution seems to help keep the yeast diaper rashes away. I also use GSE in my wash routine.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

I read somewhere that you should change your wipes solution at least every week to avoid mustiness or mold. I put mine in an old sposie container. I use about 1 tbsp of dr bronners baby soap and 1 drop of TTO. Then I fill it up about 1/2-3/4 of the way up the container with water. That usually lasts us about 3-5 days. I wet my wipes as I go so they dont sit all wet. It works good for us and even DH likes it. HTH!
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013

Last edited by bebeboy03; 06-22-2007 at 08:34 PM.
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

Mine have not since i am using london frogg ribbit royal heiny wash .. i think that is what it is called .. or add some tto to the water .. also i use distlled water or micro the tap water .. i also put my solution water in a bowl put the wipes in ring them out and put in the container so they are not sopping in their also i wipe out the container with vinegar rinse as needed
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwaitingalongtime View Post
I've never had musty wipes. I use a travel wipes container, wipes wetbag, and wipes warmer.
The key, to me, is to boil the water before making the solution (or distilled, but boiling tap water's cheaper and easier) and either add a few drops of TTO or a solution that has some in it.
We make approx. 40 wipes at a time and they run out just as laundry day comes up (every 3d).
Not to thread hijack but how do you use your wipes warmer ? do you prewet wipes and set them in their or do you have standing water in it ? thanks
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
guysmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Re: For those who keep their wipes in a sposie container...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susnrob View Post
My wipe solution spray bottle consists of 5-10 drops of GSE, 1-3 tbs Burts Bees Apricot baby oil, 1-4 squirts of baby wash. I fill the bottle up the rest of the way with water. This has been working well and the GSE in the wipe solution seems to help keep the yeast diaper rashes away. I also use GSE in my wash routine.
What is GSE?
guysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No musty smells here
I don't make a solution. She's 5 months and bf so poops aren't too bad yet I just put water in them. About 2-3 days worth at a time and we havne't had trouble
clarinetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #10
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

No musty smell when I did it, I always ALWAYS used TTO and baby wash and it worked fine. TTO was the key.
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote