Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Jaimelynne04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy What are your tips and tricks for a fresh pail?

So ds is going on 20 months old. We recently moved into a new house and his room is right next to the bathroom. I have the diaper pail in there for conveniece since it's in close proximity to the toilet and sprayer.

After a short time my bathroom REEKED! It wasn't a straight out poopy, ammonia smell. But more of a combo of musty, ewwy, I-don't-know-what smell. The dipes weren't sitting there for a really long period of time or anything.

Now, I realize that the older he gets and the more "adult" food he eats his BM's and urine will change but there's got to be a way to keep the pail from stinking up the whole bathroom. We already wash frequently so I'm not sure what else to do.

Also, we spray all poopy diapers so there's not really bm sitting in the pail.

Any of you mamas have any good tips or tricks?

Right now we use a PUL pail liner in a regular kitchen sized trash can. It does have the little terry flap inside the liner to put a few drops of TTO or the like on it but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I've heard of laying a prefold sprinkled with baking soda on top of the pile but the thought of peeling it off soiled diapers, throwing another in, and then replacing it all day sounds kinda...I dunno. A hassle?

Any advice would be super and sorry for the lengthy novel!

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are your tips and tricks for a fresh pail?

I use hanging wetbags that have elastic around the opening. I keep it in a big room like dd's room or our closet b/c that's where the changing table is now. I wash every other day. No bad smell here. I stopped using the kitchen pail and just hung them up.
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
Jaimelynne04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypatton521 View Post
I use hanging wetbags that have elastic around the opening. I keep it in a big room like dd's room or our closet b/c that's where the changing table is now. I wash every other day. No bad smell here. I stopped using the kitchen pail and just hung them up.
Well the pail liner we're using now can also be hung but I found when I did that it'd fall off the knob.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Zipper closure, for sure.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
jlanni
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelynne04 View Post
So ds is going on 20 months old. We recently moved into a new house and his room is right next to the bathroom. I have the diaper pail in there for conveniece since it's in close proximity to the toilet and sprayer.

After a short time my bathroom REEKED! It wasn't a straight out poopy, ammonia smell. But more of a combo of musty, ewwy, I-don't-know-what smell. The dipes weren't sitting there for a really long period of time or anything.

Now, I realize that the older he gets and the more "adult" food he eats his BM's and urine will change but there's got to be a way to keep the pail from stinking up the whole bathroom. We already wash frequently so I'm not sure what else to do.

Also, we spray all poopy diapers so there's not really bm sitting in the pail.

Any of you mamas have any good tips or tricks?

Right now we use a PUL pail liner in a regular kitchen sized trash can. It does have the little terry flap inside the liner to put a few drops of TTO or the like on it but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I've heard of laying a prefold sprinkled with baking soda on top of the pile but the thought of peeling it off soiled diapers, throwing another in, and then replacing it all day sounds kinda...I dunno. A hassle?

Any advice would be super and sorry for the lengthy novel!

i use a trash can and utility bag i got from the dollar store. I put a few drops of white vinegar and sprinkle baking soda in bottom, seems to help. i also heard somewhere that you can put a stick of sidewalk chalk in the bottom to absorb the extra moisture. no smells here till i takem them out and put them in the washer. ammonia smell when the hot water hits them
Old 06-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
sunshinemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been using diaper pail deoderizer from sheepish grins and it works awesome. We have an open diaper pail, I haven't had a chance to go looking for a locking/closed one. It's in our laundry room off the hallway and you can't smell anything!

http://www.sunshinewishes.com/index....817d99977ff5c7
http://www.sunshinewishes.com/index....817d99977ff5c7
sunshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

I use a plastic trash barrel with lid from Walmart, with a Swaddlebees pail liner. I put 2 pail pals in the bottom of the barrel before putting the liner in, I wash when the pail is full, change the pail pals about every 3rd washing cycle. I have no issues with stink at all!