Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Little Bear Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Best system for a newborn?

Hi there~I'm currently using FB on my 12 month old, and love them, but I didn't start cding until she was 9 months old. So, I don't know what the best choice is for a newborn~and I'm interested in what you all have found to work. Emma was 8lbs. 12oz. at birth and I'm sure this little bean will be similar. DH is *not* into the idea of cding a newborn because of the constant poop ( ) but I think that I'm just going to go with it (who changes the majority of those dipes anyway?) So, what would you recommend? I have until January to build my stash...so I'm wanting to get started...I should also mention, that money *is* a little bit of an issue, so I don't see myself buying 30 small fb's to use primarily...please open my eyes to what else is out there. Thanks!!!

Smiles~Monica

Advertisement

Little Bear Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best system for a newborn?

Since newborn DO poop alot I always just used prefolds and newborn proraps and gerber covers.
I've cded two newborns both 8 lbs. and was able to just use infant size prefolds.
Most people recommend buying preemies but I never have.
I would recommend 2 dozen infant prefolds and 10 to 12 covers to get you through 1 and 1/2 days at first.
You could easily get that for around $75 I think buying used.
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
mamagina
Registered Users
seller

I used infant prefolds (not premie) and prorap covers. 2 dozen diapers and 6 or 8 covers. It was a easy, leak-proof system. I didn't dunk or anything the poopy diapers just went into the diaper pail. And I snappi'd or pinned (usually snappi'd - really helped keep the covers clean.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Abby wears xsmall FB mostly. She was 8lbs at birth and is now well over 9. I love them for her! Maybe pick up a few seconds (fuzzibunzseconds.net)? XS are just $7 and S $10. That way you have some going out dipes. I have some prefolds, but I'm prefold challenge. We do cloth mostly (don't have a lot of NB fluff so she wears sposies some till she fits her smalls) and she's never blown outta cloth. Sposies? Quite a few times. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me...we're right in the middle of CDing a NB.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
BambooMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally wish i'd found this board BEFORE i had my dd, b/c i would have benefited from asking this exact question, so i have a lot of input for you!

i wouldn't get anything besides prefolds and covers like the pp's say, for the first couple of weeks b/c you'll be changing diapers sooooo often, then if you want fitteds for poop containment, get Kissaluvs size 0. they hold in poo like no other i hear and they've ALWAYS worked for us and dd is a HUGE pooper. kissaluvs has an outlet store sometimes that has seconds (www.kissaluvs.com/outlet.htm) that you can buy for much less than full price. we got them and i can't tell which ones are seconds and which are the first quality ones.

also, my dd was 7lbs 4 oz (got down to about 6lbs 11oz before gaining back), but didn't fit well into anything labeled "small" when she came home and for the first 2 weeks oddly enough. weird... sooo... we did buy 12 preemie prefolds, and 2 Bummis orginal preemie sized (yes two was enough). that combo worked awesomely, and we didn't even snappi anything, just layed the prefold trifolded in the wrap and stuck it on. as she got bigger we're now into infant prefolds (have about 30) and newborn prorap covers (3) and a newborn BSWW.

a good tip someone gave me to save a little dough if you're a pocket lover is FB's can double as a cover in a pinch. so if you don't want to buy so many newborn covers, the small FB's worked well for us as covers over the kissaluv fitteds long before they'd actually fit as diapers themselves (didn't work over prefolds though). that may not work for every kid, but it worked for us!!

good luck!!

Last edited by BambooMama; 06-24-2006 at 03:05 PM.
BambooMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
mamato3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i agree w/ pp i would go with infant pf i got peemie and they fit good but do not absorb much at all so i would have to dbl them up i also really liked the fitteds i made using the very baby pattern.

mamato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have used cloth on 2 newborms. Given my past experiance if I had to pick something right now for another, I would buy small Magic-Alls. I have 3 in cloth right now, and I just got a Magic-all(AIO). I was shocked at how easy it was not to snap-in, stuff, or snappi anything! The elastic in the legs is super stretchy, and holds in breast feed poo well.

You will not need 30 if you will have 2 in cloth. You may need to wash almost every day.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #8
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
Formerly: mommalilac
seller

My Mood:

primary i used pfs, kl contours and litewraps, i had some KL 0's but my piggers grew outta em fast. really cheaply im making a bunch of nb fitteds i got a bunch of cute print cuddle flannel and 5 thick terry cloth robes at an outlet store for $20 to use as the soaker
Five Green Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't start Bruce as a newborn but I started him at 6 months. I used prefolds with a cover and some pockets. If you don't mind using the prefold it's a good cheap way. Now, my sister didn't really want any thing to do with prefolds when she had her baby. She loved using BG diapers. As it's a pocket but, it's a one size. Don't have to keep on buying diapers. She tried some all in one but, they got too small too fast. I think a one size pocket or prefolds with a cover would be your best bet.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
Sophiasmomma

since newborns grow so quickly Im actually making alot of my baby's stash.. so far Ive spent about $50 and have a TON of flannel fitted diapers probably 25 more ready to sew up and I bought a bunch of used covers (about 4 dollars a piece) and I did buy 2 yds of pul to make AIOs. Then I can sell that stash off for alittle money and buy smalls/mediums or maybe make some more.