Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #91
marcia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where is Admin?!?!?

well, if you are going to offer an option for people to pay on here, i think they should know how much it all breaks down.

if you break down from your old server - at $160 a month to run the board
then WAHM are paying $35 a month if you have just 5 moms on here paying for the forum ads spots - that right there covers the board to be ran. there are more that 5 WAHMs that have forum ads on here now.
so the board is being paid for.
plus the charge for the banner ads.
then you want to have the members pay to have the option of no ads being shown. that doesn't make sense. the board doesn't NEED to charge the members. ever board i looked into to have the option of NOT having the google ads, don't charge that much. i KNOW it is way less than $50 a month. (which would be covered by banner ads)

i guess now we all know why lee has such a high pay check. hell, maybe we should all start our own board and do this.
cause it really isn't hard to run a board.

and i was asking about how much bandwidth was because i know a GREAT hosting site that doesn't charge hardly anything. it isn't VB, so it has a slight different set-up but it IS much easier to use and user friendly.

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #92
marcia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i wanted to add - this can be taken into PMs, but not sure who i would ask. should i talk to lee about it since he owns the board?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #93
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcia View Post
well, if you are going to offer an option for people to pay on here, i think they should know how much it all breaks down.
if you break down from your old server - at $160 a month to run the board
then WAHM are paying $35 a month if you have just 5 moms on here paying for the forum ads spots - that right there covers the board to be ran. there are more that 5 WAHMs that have forum ads on here now.
so the board is being paid for.
plus the charge for the banner ads.
It is NOT that cheap now. As I said before we have had upgrades since then. The last one being a HUGE upgrade. If a WAHM sells a diaper for $X you look at that price and think "is that diaper worth $X to ME or is it more than I am willing to pay?" You then make a decision to purchase it or move on. You dont ask the WAHM how much money it costs her to make it and THEN decide if its worth it to you.

Also, why do you think these people should work for free? Is it WRONG for the owners to make a little bit of money? Is it wrong for a WAHM to charge 5$ over material costs per diaper to make some profit? The bottom line. YOU use this forum FOR FREE, why does it matter to YOU how much the forum makes or spends on expenses? Something else you dont see, maybe the MODS are "paid" by free advertising? SO maybe a few of the banners you see are MODS banners which they didnt PAY to run.

Quote:
then you want to have the members pay to have the option of no ads being shown. that doesn't make sense. the board doesn't NEED to charge the members. ever board i looked into to have the option of NOT having the google ads, don't charge that much. i KNOW it is way less than $50 a month. (which would be covered by banner ads)
I dont think I ever mentioned how much we were thinking about charging to remove the ads. The last we talked about it, it was going to be a VERY small amount (like less than a dollar a month). I also recall saying it was something we were TALKING ABOUT. Which means, it wasnt something that we were going to do FOR SURE.

Quote:
guess now we all know why lee has such a high pay check. hell, maybe we should all start our own board and do this.
cause it really isn't hard to run a board.
Go right ahead! I also think Lee's paycheck came from SEVERAL sources. Not just one or two sources.

Quote:
and i was asking about how much bandwidth was because i know a GREAT hosting site that doesn't charge hardly anything. it isn't VB, so it has a slight different set-up but it IS much easier to use and user friendly.
I am sure when the board was moved over Jo looked at all the choices availiable and I am sure there was a good reason she chose vBulletin. I wasnt admin during that time so I have no idea why she chose the route she did.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #94
Doodlebug
Registered Users

I'm sorry, I had to speak up. This is ridiculous.

I can't believe how childish some members are being.

This is a diaper board. Like anything based on technology, 'it works until it doesn't'. So the site was slow for a few days, and has been up and down. This isn't a life- or career-ending situation. Nobody's forcing you to hang out here. I bet some people even got some good time away from the keyboard in the interim.

I think it's extremely rude for members--who are here as part of this community for free--to insult others on this board so freely. Upon reading this thread, I've seen members accuse admin of creating a contest thread to scam members for profit, of ignoring posts, of being irresponsible, and of trying to turn the boards into profit for their own gain. In addition, questions were asked that frankly, are really none of our business.

Nobody is proposing charging anybody to be a member here. The option previously discussed was that, to not see ads, you could pay so that you, personally, would not see ads. If you don't care, then it's still free, but you then see ads. If you're going to sling accusations, at least get the details right.

This is an online community. For the most part, people tend to run these things on volunteer time--at least until it gets really going, development time which can last years. From what previous admin have said is true, then Jo went into the red at times to keep the board going. If the primary admin and technical support staff are making some salary on it now, more power to them. Good! It's their board and their right. If you don't agree, vote with your feet. Go elsewhere, don't hang out here. Make your own board that's run the way you want. That's what comes with being admin of the board, you get to choose. It's your members who get to choose whether or not to hang out. See where I'm going with this?

I don't pretend to be great fans of the admin and admit there are things that have happened that I would've handled differently myself. But frankly, it's not the admin that're in the wrong here. The real problem here? It's not that the board slowed down. It's how fast things turned downright ugly on this thread when it did. This catty, adolescent behavior is just nasty, and frankly, I'm disappointed to see it.

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=13927.0

Last edited by Doodlebug; 06-24-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #95
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sam, I know this is your choice but.... I feel so bad that you have to battle all of this yourself! Where is everyone else? it isnt fair for you to have to deal with it allon your own.... but again, your choice. I still feel bad though.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #96
Samantha
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrab View Post
Since he himself wont answer questions on the board one doesnt have a choice but to do their own research!
Its Sunday for goodness sakes. Maybe hes spending time with his family? Its also only been 4.5 hours
Old 06-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #97
Samantha
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrab View Post
Sam, I know this is your choice but.... I feel so bad that you have to battle all of this yourself! Where is everyone else? it isnt fair for you to have to deal with it allon your own.... but again, your choice. I still feel bad though.
Jo is on Vacation.
I have emailed Lee but its Sunday. Hes probably spending time with his family.
Karen is dealing with family things.

I would leave it alone and wait for others to get on, but then we might be accused of ignoring our members
Old 06-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #98
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
Its Sunday for goodness sakes. Maybe hes spending time with his family? Its also only been 4.5 hours
'

Oh yeah I forgot because he is around SO much! And he really takes an interest in the board and the members that is why his post count is so high!

Heck maybe if I throw a few bucks his way he will pop back in and grace us with his presence!

This board is going down hill and I see it started as soon as Mr Money Maker came on board.

Again WHY are you the only one who seems to give a flying flip about what goes on around here?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #99
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

I have been reading this thread for the past day in a half. Wow!

I am not sure why people are getting their panties in a twist over this. It's the internet people. A message board. Not life or death. The board is free for ALL to use right now. No one forces any of you to come here. If none of you don't like the board, the admins, the members, the way it is ran or anything else about this board. You all are free to go some place else and stop coming here. If you don't like it here.. Why stay? Seems to me you all keep coming back to just complain.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #100
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
I would leave it alone and wait for others to get on, but then we might be accused of ignoring our members
the problem isn't you....

and did anyone mention why the board was down for a few hours? what was the problem? who fixed that?
Closed Thread