Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:
cosleepers

I'm not quire sure where this post belongs, so I'll stick it here... baby girl is just over 5 mos old, and DH thinks its time to start transitioning her out of the bed. She still eats in the night. I'm trying to prolong it, but I see his reasons. We have a Q size bed and she is getting so big. We often wake up b/c DH and I are skwoooshed on one side. Our mattress is on the floor, so we keep a blanket next to the bed. She has been starting out there, but never goes back after her first mid nite feeding b/c I always fall asleep. What are some stories/experiences/thoughts/helps/hints on this transition??

Advertisement

mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: cosleepers

We have a queen size mattress on the floor, too. When it started getting crowded, we got a twin size fold up bed and put it beside ours like an extension. I roll over on the twin to nurse, then roll back onto our queen bed afterwards. When we need more room during the day, the twin folds into a chair and also a great toy for the baby (it can be a fortress, too!).
Old 06-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
jaseyandmallorysmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a king and twin pushed together with a "t" to connect them and this has worked for us since DS was a babe and now our family bed has both my DS who is 3.5 and DD who is 19 mts. We will remain like this until someone asks for their own bed.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

I feel dh's pain lol We have a queen sized bed, and dh is a king sized guy, and our 3.5 yo is still in bed with us. She starts on the floor on her Dora futon, but wakes up and comes in bed every night at some point. All of our kids left the bed when they were ready...well almost. We kicked Abby out when she was 4 cuz she was a HUGE bed hog Jude left on his own at 2. Lena told me she's gonna sleep in bed with me when she has her babies.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Oh, let me add, when Abby and Jude were both in bed with us, and i was preggo , we used a T connector and hooked a full sized bed to our queen. Everyone had room that way
Old 06-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

def try to put atwin bed next to your bed.
we tried but he wakes up religously and comes to my bed. but is ok , dh is not here so he sleeps in the bed with me.
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

A twin bed would not fit in our room... We thought about it b/c our 41/2 almost 5 yr old sleeps in her room, and we were going to have her sleep in our room one night (DSD-not AP at all!! BAD mamma).... we also need our mom and dad time too.... I think I'll wait a few more months before making any changes... it'll be easier when she is sleeping thru the night w/ us and not waking up to feed.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

double posted somehow

Last edited by mrsott; 06-26-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DD, we had a queen sized bed. She slept in the bed with us till 13 months old. At that point, we moved her to a sidecar crib. It worked wonderfully for us... She stopped waking up so much at night, had her own space, but could crawl in to our bed when she did wake up in the morning. She moved to a twin bed in her own room at 27 months.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #10
tommyzmommy
Registered Users
seller

There's something about that particular age, 10 months, 16-18 months that seems to bring around the questions of other arrangements for cosleeping babies. Its when they start waking up several times a night over a period of weeks that it really got tough for me. We have had at least one boy in bed with us since our first was born and I've made use of the bed rail, scooting him over to it to give us all some space. If there's a point to this reply, it is to say that doing the scooting over and over seems to help them learn to sleep "straight" in the bed and not become horizontal bed hogs. Also, for the all- night- diners/ cosleeping issues, I've been so grateful for Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution, since a bit before turning 2 ds2 is restless at night only when he has an ear infection or is cutting teeth.
tommyzmommy is offline   Reply With Quote