Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #31
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:
Re: WHY do mamas sell items for double or more than they paid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys4me
I personally think that it isn't yours anymore. Let her do what she wants with it. Why get upset that she is selling it for more. For all you may know she may not get any offers to buy and may reduce her price or even do a trade with it.. I just think that if you sold it then it isn't yours no matter what.. jmo.
Yes, I'm really sorry to say this and I hope no one takes offense, but I get tired of these threads about people selling for more. If I sell something to someone else and they can turn around and get more for it well then good for them. I really don't understand the big deal. To me if people are getting upset it's because they are jealous that they didnt' ask for the money that the other person is getting now.
I have never followed up on an item that I have sold, I dont' have time... or the energy to even remember what I've sold or for how much!
One thing that really frustrates me about these conversations about this topic is that people forget we live in a country with a FREE MARKET and we in America and other countries are built on the principle of capitalism. When we start trying to take away peoples ability to generate profit and instead demand that subscribe to our economic ideals (in this case, not selling for more than you bought for) I think we really start to abandon ship on the whole free market thing... and that's sad. It really irks me actually...maybe it's the business/econ degree in me, but I just am very bothered by this.
That all being said, I've never sold for more than what I've bought for, but I mostly buy new because I think there is too much drama involved in the FSOT lately.
I don't think a pm is neccessary. If it is so upsetting, sell your stuff for more, kwim? I'm not trying to offend anyone, I *understand* the argument but I just really disagree with it.

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #32
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandle
Yes, I'm really sorry to say this and I hope no one takes offense, but I get tired of these threads about people selling for more. If I sell something to someone else and they can turn around and get more for it well then good for them. I really don't understand the big deal. To me if people are getting upset it's because they are jealous that they didnt' ask for the money that the other person is getting now.
I have never followed up on an item that I have sold, I dont' have time... or the energy to even remember what I've sold or for how much!
One thing that really frustrates me about these conversations about this topic is that people forget we live in a country with a FREE MARKET and we in America and other countries are built on the principle of capitalism. When we start trying to take away peoples ability to generate profit and instead demand that subscribe to our economic ideals (in this case, not selling for more than you bought for) I think we really start to abandon ship on the whole free market thing... and that's sad. It really irks me actually...maybe it's the business/econ degree in me, but I just am very bothered by this.
That all being said, I've never sold for more than what I've bought for, but I mostly buy new because I think there is too much drama involved in the FSOT lately.
I don't think a pm is neccessary. If it is so upsetting, sell your stuff for more, kwim? I'm not trying to offend anyone, I *understand* the argument but I just really disagree with it.
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #33
Mel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm thinking you've never had someone tell you they really, really need the item and talk you down in price only to turn around 2 weeks later and sell it for MORE than your original asking price (not even at what you first wanted) That's the kicker. Kind of like a slap in the face.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #34
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I can understand why you'd be upset, but I agree with Rachel. I just done have the time/energy to keep up with this kinda stuff.
But she makes a good point. A lot of people buy stuff and then sell it again to make a little money. You got what you asked for it - it's not yours. To me it's not a big deal. Even places like Target, buy stuff at Wholesale cost and then double that and thats what you buy it for. It's all about making money.
That said Ive never sold anything for more than I bought but again I also buy new. I dont remember the last time I bought off the board?
Old 04-27-2006, 04:13 PM   #35
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
I'm thinking you've never had someone tell you they really, really need the item and talk you down in price only to turn around 2 weeks later and sell it for MORE than your original asking price (not even at what you first wanted) That's the kicker. Kind of like a slap in the face.
If someone said the "needed" an item and couldn't afford it at the price I asked or something, then yes I'd be upset b/c they would have lied. But these discussions come up at least monthly, about someone selling for mor then they bought and the circumstance you are referring to is not usually the case. If it was the circumstance you were referring to then it would be annoying, because someone would have lied in order to get something below market value only to sell it for above market value, kwim?
Old 04-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #36
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel

Yeah or the day after they got it
Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:35 PM   #37
bellsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandle

I totally understand this thinking, but this is Diaper swappers not Diaper Walmart. Businesses operate for the greater good and make a profit all the time. Just because a blind kid will pay $20 for your dead bird..should you really sell it to them. (Dumb and dumber) If you don't have a code or set of ethics then sites like this are pointless. WE could just all buy fuzzy whatevers and forget about WAHM.
I truly hope individuals choose to buy and sell cloth diapers for reasons other than simply profit. I love that I am reusing something instead of just throwing another piece of garbage away. That being said, all you can do is remember who overprices, purchase your items from others and tell all your friends who does the over pricing. If a mama can't remember a price by a dollar or two big deal, we all suffer from ADD sometimes, but if she is intentionally doubling a price then she should open a big blocky chain store. JMO...I don't mean to offend.
bellsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:27 AM   #38
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Exactly! thats my point, it feels like you've been lied to. i don't go searching for items of people ive sold to, but im on this board everyday searching for more to buy and come across posts and then there it is bright as day an item you've sold and for more, not that your searching for your past items, just that there it is on your screen. anyway, im glad most see it like it is, so i am keeping track of who i notice doing this to make sure i dont buy from them
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:03 AM   #39
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
i am keeping track of who i notice doing this to make sure i dont buy from them
Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #40
sunshineandlove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think this happened to me and I was surprised and a little sad because I wanted to help someone in a situation similar to mine by offering a dipe at the price I paid, below market value, whenI could have sold it for more. But I agree it's not mine anymore and she did ask a fair, market value. So if it sells she made about 4 bucks.
sunshineandlove is offline   Reply With Quote