Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
TandEMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Are pockets overkill for newborns?

Okay, so I'm not even pg, but I have a newborn dipe question. I have a chance to get some x-small FB's and a tiny heiny from a woman on Craigslist, which I thought would be great for a future newborn, but then it got me thinking...

Are pocket diapers too much for newborns? I mean, they pretty much poo all the time, and probably don't pee a whole lot between changes, so is a stay-dry-inner/soaker combo not really needed at that stage?

I know a lot of people use prefolds or fitteds, although I'm such a pocket fan that another system scares me. How do you keep a prefold/fitted + a cover + an outfit from getting way too huge on a tiny baby?

Any insights?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by TandEMommy; 06-21-2006 at 11:20 PM.
TandEMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Re: Are pockets overkill for newborns?

I guess it depends on the size of the baby if it's worth it or not. Especially when you are talking about x-smalls. My son started wearing his small FBs at 3 weeks old. We never had any x-smalls. He was 8lb. 8oz. at birth. He only fit the small FB for two months and then we went to mediums. I think my stash of smalls was totally worth it even though he grew out of them quickly. I'm a pocket lover myself. But unless you have really tiny babies, I honestly don't think x-smalls are worth paying the money unless you get a super good deal on them
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
momof4
Registered Users
seller

I bought a stash of them, and hope to begin using them soon -- I'm going to be evaluating a variety soon. FWIW, from what I've read here, it depends on how big you grow your babies. Mine have all been under 7 pounds, so for me, it made sense to get XS. If you tend to have 8-9 pound babies, it's a different story.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

It also depends on what type of pocket. I love FBs very much. I didn't have any in my newborn stash, but I had a couple of unknown WAHM pockets. Once they were stuff (with preemie prefolds), they were HUGE on my babe. Very, very bulky. I didn't like them at all. My favorite system was fitteds, then I switched to pockets later down the road.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:26 AM   #5
gr33nie
Registered Users
seller

If you get a great deal, I say go for it. I'm a big pocket user and when I have my next baby I don't think I'm going to want to do a pre-fold and cover becasue I'm so used to a one step process. My DS was 7lbs 12 oz. and it took maybe about a month or two to get a good fit on the small FB so x-small would have been great during that time. You don't have to invest in inserts though as you could pretty much use anything, like cut of pre-folds or something.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:57 AM   #6
sunshynemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Joey was 8lb 7oz and we used xs fuzzi bunz. They were mostly for outings, like to the ped, my mom's ect., and I was glad I had them. I think he used them for 2 weeks and then we went to smalls for 2 weeks... then mediums, lol (where he is now, 20 months later!)

Marina
Old 06-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I guess I bring the other side of discussion. LOL Abby was 8lbs at birth and 21in. At her two week well baby check up she was 8lbs14oz, 22.5 inches long. She's well over 9lbs now and is still wearing her xsmall FB. The weight limit on 'em is up to ten pounds, but she's on the tightest waist snap and the second tightest leg snap. So she'll be in 'em still for a bit. I tried a small on her yesterday and it's still too big, especially around the thighs. I guess it really just depends on your babe. I wasn't planning on using xsmalls either, but then she was in sposies and the smalls weren't fitting and the bumGenius were really bulky on here, and then I bought some. LOL We only have seven, though, so she's in cloth during the day and sposies at night. Also, www.fuzzibunzseconds.net has xsmalls for $7 each, no insert, though.

So basically...what I'm saying is it's totally up to you and what you think.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
ramoth7
Registered Users

If it's a good deal, I'd probably get them. I used prefolds and covers on my son for the first month and hated the bulk. And the folding. I haven't started using my FBs yet, the arrive today, but I know with my next (if I'm so lucky) I will use pockets to begin with... and will probably buy some extra smalls too...
Old 06-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #9
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is 20 months and in a Med. FB. I originally bought like 15 L FB and they were too big, so I sold them and a few Med that I ordered came in and they fit great. It is a shame that they say that they only go up to 22 lbs...?

Anyway, he is a heavywetter and I got tired of the inserts stinking, so I started using microfiber towels instead. I use two for day and three for night and it works GREAT! I am surprised but I think it would work great with a BF baby in the XS FB because they poo all the time and don't pee all that much between changes KWIM?

I would buy XS if you want to start with CD from the begining. I had a big baby 8# 12oz and if they would have let him go full term he would have been much larger but I will get some XS to start with next time... We just started CD BTW.

Sorry for the rambling......Hope that made sense??
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #10
Hillbilly Bunny
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd wore them for a month, but I liked them and would probably buy more if I every got preggo again