Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
those mamas that selectively vaccinate,

can you remind me which vaccines you do & why?

Also at what age do you have each done?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Re: those mamas that selectively vaccinate,

Here is the schedule I *think* we're going to follow. It suggests starting at 4 months, but I'm not ready to start vaxing yet. I think we'll wait until he's at least a year, maybe 18 months. I don't want to do any of them, but am scared not to. I'm still on the fence and that's why we'll wait for a while longer

I don't think we will do the MMR. Won't do the Chicken Pox vaccine either.
We won't do the Hep B shot until Noah is ready to start school.

HIB, IPV, DTaP (all mercury free) first series at 4 months, 2nd series at 6 months foloowed by the DTaP at 7 months, third series at 8 months followed by the DTaP at 9 months

Prevnar at age 2

This schedule is recommended by a Doc by the name of Stephanie Cave. She has a book called What your Doctore may NOT tell you about children's vaccinations. VERY informative book in easy to understand terms. This is the schedule she recommends. She does recommend the MMR shot starting at 15 months, each in seperate doses (measles at 15 months, mumps 12 months after that, rubella 12 months after that) and I have not been able to find that anywhere near me, so I think we'll opt out of it all together. My DD is set to get her boosters for this, but we have signed an exemption form for her, she won't be having the boosters.

HTH!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
comfybuns
Registered Users
seller

We don't vax at all but I can talk you through any of them that you have questions ablout
Old 06-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We haven't done Nathan's MMR yet (at 12 mos here in Canada). I don't WANT to do it - have been fighting the NP all the way along, refusing other vax's that she wanted us to do. I though she was going to call CAS on my when we refused the Pox vaccine. He got it 2 weeks later from his brother anyway! lol

What happens when dks start school though? We got a letter from Evan's school when he started that if imm. weren't up to date, he would not be allowed back to school as of September 30th. This was in 2003 in JK.

Can they actually NOT let him go to school if we don't vax??? I need to read more into this...
Old 06-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

We won't do the chicken pox ever because even the most conservative doctors I know have concerns that it might run out when our DC are older. We might have a whole generation killed in their 60s and 70s from chicken pox because they will be less likely to fight it off.

I delay hepetitus because as an infant they are not going to be doing intervenous drugs or having unprotected sex so why rush it.

I do everything else, I live in Maine where we have had laws against certain additives and mercury in vaccines for years so there are none of that in anyones supply. It's illegal.
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
anjii
Registered Users

Quote:
What happens when dks start school though? We got a letter from Evan's school when he started that if imm. weren't up to date, he would not be allowed back to school as of September 30th. This was in 2003 in JK.

Can they actually NOT let him go to school if we don't vax??? I need to read more into this...
Yeah, I've been wondering what Canada's "rules" and laws are... we did the first 3 rounds (delayed 4 months, as I was nervous about them poking my preemie with diseases), only after checking the pamphlets of each shot to make sure there was no thimerosal. I always planned on skipping or at least delaying the MMR, and skipping the pox completely. But after doing more reading, I'm pretty sure I won't do any vaxes ever again, to any of my children. But, my doc has never asked me about it, and my Public Health Center (where we get our shots) hasn't called to ask why we haven't been back, so I guess until school starts, I don't have to explain myself to anyone at all

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=7497.0

377 posts on old DS, and hoping to catch up here now, after just popping in occasionally for quite awhile
anjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
comfybuns
Registered Users
seller

HEALTH CANADA STATEMENT ON IMMUNIZATION
"Unlike some countries, immunization is not mandatory in Canada; it cannot be made mandatory because of the Canadian Constitution. Only three provinces have legislation or regulations under their health-protection acts to require proof of immunization for school entrance. Ontario and New Brunswick require proof for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella immunization. In Manitoba, only measles vaccination is covered. It must be emphasized that, in these three provinces, exceptions are permitted for medical or religious grounds and reasons of conscience; legislation and regulations must not be interpreted to imply compulsory immunization. "

_______________________________________________--
current Ontario statutes
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/S...sh/90i01_e.htm

HTH
Old 06-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always vac. you have to hear, otherwise I couldn't get daycare. Plus I never heard anything bad about it until after he already had his shots. They don't bother him anyway, even when he was just 2 months old. When he was four months he looked like he was going to scream and then I coughed and he laughed. Tough little guy I guess. I will continue to vac because he has never had a prob with them. Plus I have a job I have to go to. I would probably be worried sick if I had known all this stuff before hand. Not so much anymore. I know the chances of something happening to him now are so rare. I don't know if I'll do it to my next one though if I'm a SAHM.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfybuns
"Unlike some countries, immunization is not mandatory in Canada; it cannot be made mandatory because of the Canadian Constitution. Only three provinces have legislation or regulations under their health-protection acts to require proof of immunization for school entrance. Ontario and New Brunswick require proof for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella immunization. In Manitoba, only measles vaccination is covered. It must be emphasized that, in these three provinces, exceptions are permitted for medical or religious grounds and reasons of conscience; legislation and regulations must not be interpreted to imply compulsory immunization. "

current Ontario statutes

HTH

Hmmmm, so if we get posted back to NS, we don't have to proof immunization? Sounds like a good reason to go "home" to me! We're in Ontario right now..... and of COURSE it would be one of the 2 provinces that needs proof of MMR...
Old 06-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
anjii
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfybuns

current Ontario statutes

HTH

Yet another reason I'm so glad that I live not only in Canada, but also in Beautiful British Columbia

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=7497.0

377 posts on old DS, and hoping to catch up here now, after just popping in occasionally for quite awhile
anjii is offline   Reply With Quote