Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
dipebaby
Registered Users

Wool Cover Recs for Overnight

Best wool covers for overnight? We've been using pocket diapers for 8 months and they just aren't getting the job done overnight, even with 2 microfiber inserts + a hemp insert.

Would I be able to get away with just a wool cover over the pocket diapers? Or do I need to buy some fitted diapers just overnight? Can I get away with just one wool cover if my kid only wears 1 diaper per night?

Advertisement

dipebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:07 AM   #2
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool Cover Recs for Overnight

https://humbird.eu/

I swear by HumBird. She is very sweet and works very fast. Shipping takes a bit longer because she is in Germany, but it is worth the wait time. I have tried several brands of wool in the past with zero luck......we are now 100% wool and I am thrilled! Most of her wool is 95/5 interlock and only one layer. It is very trim so that helps a lot over our bulky jight fitted set up.......babyis never wet in the mornings.....well, diaper is wet, but sheets are dry. . I would think you could use these over a pocket, but it might be nice to have a few fitteds set aside for nights.....2 soakers would be best IMO if you are just using at night....just incase you have to wash one because of a poopy or some other reason.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It might be worth trying over a pocket to help, but wool when treated with lanolin is suppose to redirect the wetness back to the fitted. So, if over a pocket, it would have to absorb the urine, and it will to an extent, which could be worth a try. One to start but if it works for you will you need at least 2. Wool often takes a couple days to dry after being washed so you'd need one to use during that time.

If the pocket is almost working and its mostly just wicking coming through you could also just try fleece. My son used pockets at night and I loved winter cause he would wear the fleece halo sleep sack and even if wetness wicked out to the cotton pants, the Fleece would keep it from the sheets.

DD wore wool longies and fitteds at night. She used Just Ducky Hand-Machine Knit wool from ebay/hyneacart. I thought they worked well and had a good price tag.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 10-27-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
dipebaby
Registered Users

Thanks! Those Humbirds are super cute!

Sounds like we'll go for 2 covers, and probably get some fitteds. He does already sleep in a fleece sleep sack, so luckily the sheets are spared, but I hate going through two or three outfits per night plus another one during naps sometimes.
dipebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am wool all the way. My bedwetting 5 year old is still in wool at night and often during the day as well. He often wears his longies over underpants during the day. So I feel like a traitor saying this. However, a cheaper and faster option would be to simply swap out your stuffing. As I understand it, microfiber loses absorbency after awhile. Maybe stuff with a flat and the hemp doubler. If you have no flats on hand maybe try a flour sack towel from Walmart and see how that goes. It may well be your little one needs something other than microfiber or perhaps just newer microfiber inserts. In any case, you would certainly know quickly enough if you need to change your night and nap time operation completely or simply tweak things a bit. If it works it would resolve your daycare problem as well. No trying to convince them to give wool a try. Something I doubt you could achieve.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 10-29-2016 at 11:28 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I copied this from another post, after making connection of ur absorbency posts I wanted to ensure you saw it:

You really should look into the absorbency of things. Check out the link my sig or the sticky on this forum. The large sandy fitted holds around 20oz, the Griffin baby super plus holds 8oz and the sweet iris doubler 6oz , so that is a total of 33oz for night.

Not sure what you are using but a OS or Large MF generally holds 8-10oz saturated (with MF that is especially good to note because if saturated compression leaks are likely). While bamboo generally holds more than if the same size and thickness cotton insert (or more trim for the same absorbency), a single insert is likely to only be 8oz or less. A bamboo prefold or flat is likely to be between 10-15oz.... note I was up in the 33oz saturated with DD who was a heavier wetter than my first. DS wore about 15oz to bed with no issues.

It's also worth noting in my comparison of my kids is that DS was at 15oz with PUL and DD was 33oz with a fitted. Since PUL is waterproof its okay if the combo gets closer to saturation. With fitteds and wool, if the fitteds/inserts are saturated the wool is not keeping the sheets dry, unless maybe you have some seriously experience and bulletproof wool... maybe.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
bluedaisy
Registered Users
seller

I loved Disana wool covers - they work great and are very affordable

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/disana.html

I never used them over just fitteds, I always used them over a double stuffed pocket diaper, or an all in two with an extra absorbent soaker.

I tried so many things with my daughter at night and Disana was the first thing I found that worked
Old 11-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
lovinits
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you saying that you were using these for an 8 month old? I only ask because I have started adding more inserts for my daughter into her pocket diapers. I'm finding that thicker and more isn't always better. I think her inserts are actually creating gaps in the legs and she leaks at night. I'm not saying that this applies to you, but it is something to consider. I also Second the notion of trying a different microfiber insert. They do wear out after time.

Last edited by lovinits; 11-05-2016 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Typo
lovinits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

I second Disana soakers for overnight. I used them over fitted with 2 boosters. My dd never had a leak.

If the inner diaper is absorbent enough 1 wool cover would probably be enough. We had 2 and one was just a backup during wash days every 2 weeks or so. If the inner diaper is saturated by morning, the soaker will need to be lanolized more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbammu is offline   Reply With Quote