Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Blessedmama777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Using cotton fleece for a diaper--is that a good idea?

I'm going to be making some more diapers for my baby. But I'm trying to figure out what the best option is for the inner fabric. It MUST be all cotton, as we've got some polyester sensitivity here. I was leaning towards using a cotton fleece. I have made diapers before using a cotton knit. They weren't too bad, but I didn't like the stretchiness of it. I'd rather have something less stretchy. I have also made some using cotton terry cloth, but the little loops like to "hold" the poop in a bit. They are harder to rinse the poop off.

I was thinking the cotton fleece would be nice: It's soft, poop comes off fleece pretty decently, not as stretchy, and seems like it would hold up okay. I don't really want to use flannel, as that seems to lose it's softness after a while, and I'm afraid it will wear out sooner.

And if it matters, I'm making a pocket-style diaper, that I may also just lay the insert in it sometimes, instead of stuffing. (The diapers will be the result of trial and error, research and brainstorming to come up with my "perfect" diaper solution!)

Any insight would be helpful! Thank You!

ADDED: Does anyone know of an actual store that sells cotton fleece? I wish I could actually see some before I buy any. I know there are various options online.

Advertisement

Last edited by Blessedmama777; 08-29-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Blessedmama777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Using cotton fleece for a diaper--is that a good idea?

I have a bunch of cotton fleece trifolding inserts. They are two layers serger together with the fuzzy sides together. They awesomely absorbent, trim, and durable. I have been using them along with cotton prefolds and cotton Birdseye trifolds of the same size for about 4 years solid. The fleece ones are the only ones without any snags or thinning.

I have 11x13" ones for babies about 7-14 pounds and 13x15" for babies 15-30 pounds. I can trifold them the shorter way for babies on the lower end of the weight range and the longer way for bigger babies. I have also folded and pinned them like prefolds. They are versatile, trim, easy to wash, quick to dry.

Last edited by Melinda29; 08-29-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Blessedmama777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Using cotton fleece for a diaper--is that a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I have a bunch of cotton fleece trifolding inserts. They are two layers serger together with the fuzzy sides together. They awesomely absorbent, trim, and durable. I have been using them along with cotton prefolds and cotton Birdseye trifolds of the same size for about 4 years solid. The fleece ones are the only ones without any snags or thinning.

I have 11x13" ones for babies about 7-14 pounds and 13x15" for babies 15-30 pounds. I can trifold them the shorter way for babies on the lower end of the weight range and the longer way for bigger babies. I have also folded and pinned them like prefolds. They are versatile, trim, easy to wash, quick to dry.

Thank You! That's helpful to know youv'e done and it works good!

Anyone else?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I made some cotton fleece fitteds that I really liked. Cotton fleece for inner, outer, and two - layer flap soaker. They were soft and reasonably absorbent without being enormous or taking forever to dry.
I got mine from natures fabrics, she has cute prints and solids as well as bamboo fleece