Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #11
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Re: Insurance question? Please advise me:)

I agree with Medicaid but as long as you have had medical attention the insurance has to cover it from what I understand.

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #12
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagansMommy
Your preganancy can't be excluded as a pre-existing condition. Just make sure you get insurance that covers maternity...

This is true.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #13
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smapple
From what I understand, you will have coverage for the baby IF you do not have a lapse in coverage (make sure your new insurance begins as soon as your current ends) AND you have had health insurance for at least 6 months (with your current provider) before switching to the second insurance company.
I don't know about the six months prior coverage part, but the rest is definetely true. My dad is a broker for several different health insurance companies and he says they cannot classify you as a pre-existing condition provided that you don't have a lapse in coverage from one provider to the next.
What we did while I was out of teaching last school year on a parental leave was pay the cost of COBRA to continue our benefits for the family. When my husband got new benefits through his work, we switched to that plan. Then he got a new job in Feb. and we continued to pay COBRA for the 2nd plan while waiting for our new coverage to take affect. Finally as of June 1st our new plan has kicked in and we have that 3rd plan now. Craziness............with 3 different plans this year (not to mention thousands of $$ spent on coverage).
My advice to you would be to continue your old coverage through COBRA until you can find something else once you move and then look for a company (like Starbucks, IKEA, etc.) who offers full benefits even to part time employees. I'm not trying to advocate for those places, but they do have excellent benefits and maybe if you found some company like these you'd have less time spent paying for COBRA. Local school districts usually need people year round......(Sept. is a great month to apply) and their benefits typically start the month you are hired.............just a thought to maybe help.
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #14
rebyell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pregnancy CAN be a pre existing condition, I have found. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Individual Family plan without maternity, when we found out we were preg we applied for it were turned down.

I would get COBRA or Medicaid/Healthy Start. Wisconsin has a thing called HIRSP a risk sharing plan but it is 300 a month plus 2000 out of pocket max, ohh yeah and a 6 month waiting period on preexisting conditions including pregnancy.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #15
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebyell
Pregnancy CAN be a pre existing condition, I have found. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Individual Family plan without maternity, when we found out we were preg we applied for it were turned down.

I would get COBRA or Medicaid/Healthy Start. Wisconsin has a thing called HIRSP a risk sharing plan but it is 300 a month plus 2000 out of pocket max, ohh yeah and a 6 month waiting period on preexisting conditions including pregnancy.
yes - i believe that the not treating pg as a pre-existing condition only applies to ppl moving from one group plan to another. that was what the research i did on the subject told me. individuals buying their own insurance (like me & my DH) are pretty much SOL on a lot of things. but to the OP if you're currently on a group plan with your work and you move to your DH's group plan for example they should cover your pg.

here's a good link: http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Is_being_pr...ging_insurance

Last edited by wbkt8; 06-27-2006 at 10:58 AM.
wbkt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #16
ashandri
Registered Users
seller

I read everyone's posts, but am still a little lost. As far as pregnancy not counting as a pre-exsisting condition if you don't let your insurance lapse...Do you have to get the same type of insurance. Should I just call an insurance company. Also, as far as medicaid...I am not sure we will qualify now. We just sold our condo a few days ago and made like 60,000 dollars off of it. Of course, we will now have to live off of that for the next few years because my husband will be in school and we will (god willing) have a couple kids. We will also have to put some of it into a down payment if we decide to buy a place in Arkansas. Therefore, we probably wouldn't qualify for medicaid would we even though we have only about 11,000 per year in income right now? ALSO, I have looked into maternity card (anyone heard of that) and a couple other things like ameriplan. Does anyone have any experience with these things? Sorry...a million questions...I would love any advice you can give. THANKS!!!!!! PS My husband's insurance policy would be through the grad school and they told me they wouldn't cover my preg because it was pre-existing
ashandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #17
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

you could contact an independent insurance agent - i think you'll probably find that they will give you more information about what your options are.

1)medicaid - i really don't know about the qualifications for that, but i believe it's based on a monthly income cutoff. i would at least check in to it

2)depending on who told you your pg wouldn't be covered by your dh's insurance plan - you might want to double check on that. i'm assuming his is a group plan offered through the university...not entirely certain what their obligations are re: HIPPA

3)maternity card - from everything i've read about things like that, it's not necessarily going to be any better deal than what you can negotiate yourself with a physician/mw and a hospital. my private insurance doesn't cover pg - so i've checked into paying out of pocket and the professional fees for a CNM were about $2K-$3K (for vaginal vs. c-section) and the hospital was around another $2K. you'll also want to check with your dh's insurance folks about what exactly they will cover (emergencies related to pregnancy, prematurity, etc.)

4)given your circumstances i would HIGHLY consider getting COBRA to continue your maternity benefits. it is expensive, but since you won't have to continue it for too long, i think it would definitely be worth it.

good luck!
Old 06-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #18
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

I am not sure about the making 60K thing....But if you make 11,000 a year, you will qualify ANYWHERE!

I know when I went in to get medicade in washington they didnt look at my bank acct balances, they just took a copy of my current pay stub and issued my medicade. When I moved to MT...they looked in our bank acct to see how much $$ we had, they did a title search to make sure we didnt own a bunch of big fancy cars, ETCETC. So I think every state is different. It cant hurt to TRY KWIM? But I wouldnt OFFER them information...like if they dont ask, dont mention the 60K you just made (I am ONLY saying this because you said you have to live off that for the next few years)

Last but not least..if you have maternity coverage in your current plan you can switch to ANY plan from any company that has maternity coverage and as long as you have had your current insurance for 6 months and there wasnt a lapse in coverage they cannot call your pregnancy a pre-existing condition.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #19
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha
Last but not least..if you have maternity coverage in your current plan you can switch to ANY plan from any company that has maternity coverage and as long as you have had your current insurance for 6 months and there wasnt a lapse in coverage they cannot call your pregnancy a pre-existing condition.
Absolutely!! You CAN and will be denied for almost all other plans if you allow your prior insurance to lapse (meaning you quit or don't pay the premium through COBRA after you quit). My disability insurance through our school district has just ended because I was not allowed to pay the premiums while on leave and I am PG with our next child.........therefore I am a pre-existing condition and they will not cover me. At least I'll still be eligible for differential pay while on leave.....

When you chance plans you should be able to go from any contracted provider to any other contracted provider and can chance HMO to PPO or POS whatever. It doesn't matter what classification you fall under as long as you have coverage. Some companies (maybe youy hubbies university) are small and ONLY offer PPO's because they cost less to the carrier (your employer). So, yes you can switch from on type of insurance to another and from plan type to plan type.
We switched this year from Pacificare HMO, to Blue Shield HMO, to Cigna HMO currently. And to the PP who said that she was denied for a pre-existing condition (I think for Blue Shield), they can deny you if you wait or aren't eligible for coverage until AFTER you become pregnant and if you are seeking insurance for the first time or after having none for a time. Unfortunately this is the part that they will be able to count as a pre-existing condition.
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote