Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Who's been induced?

....and what was the process / time frame?

I'm going in tomorrow night for a Tuesday induction. The doctor thinks it's best given some recent events. I know that when I get there, they're going to insert some progalistin (I know I butchered that) and put a catheter w/a balloon on the end to stimulate contractions and to stretch my cervix. I'm curious as to what happens the following morning once they've done this prep stuff.

Advertisement

Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who's been induced?

I was induced for 5 days, never went into labor Good luck
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Mommyof2Princesses
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went to the hospital at 6 am, they broke my water and put me on something (too long ago) at 8:30am. And I had my baby by 2 that afternoon! Good luck!!!!
Mommyof2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
Carrie
Registered Users

I had the same procedure done. I went in on a Thursday night and had the catheter with balloon inserted, and they put me on pitocin around 6 am. I didn't have the babies until 9 pm. The balloon catheter works much better than the prostagladin (sp?) gel alone. My doc told me that I could have the gel if I wanted, but there was no point, because it wouldn't work. If they offer you an Ambien, take it! I decided I didn't need it but I did not get much sleep at all that night.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been induced for all three of mine. The first one was started at like 6 am adn stopped at 6 pm that night. At that time I went on my own and delivered at 10:41am the next morning. It was a long drawn out process as it took my cervix the first 12 hours to even get ready. - Wait now dont get discouraged it gets better DD #2 was started at 10am after 1 day of what was called "a seaweed pack" (remember this was 10 yrs ago) She was born at 7pm so not so long but a totally different labor. Now third child DS was I went in the night before and had cervidal put in to "ripen" my crevix. That alone has been known to start labor but NO not mine. So at 6am or so we once again started potacin. Labor was reading good with me not feeling much.(that was nice) Then long about 5 pm it really hit me and hard. Dr checked at 6pm and I was only 2 can you believe it only 2. (how pissed was I) Well he suggested an epidural to relax me and baby did that ever do the trick. That went in around 6:45 and DS was born at 8:15 . Nurses thought I was kidding when I told them I had to push just an hour later. They checked and I had jumped to 8 pushing 9. DS dropped as I delivered right after the dr got there. He has a perfectly round head. It was neat.
I really just wish I would go on my own just once to feel what it was like. Well anyway sorry for hijacking the post.

Heres to the insert working so you don't need Potacin.
mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the cervadil (prostaglandin "tampon", LOL) with my last baby. Got it in at 9pm, in labor at 11:30pm, had her before 3am. Never needed pitocin "in the morning".
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
foofoomomma
Registered Users
seller

I went in the night before since I wasnt effaced/soft enough & had the cervadil in overnight, then they started pitocin at 6am. They made my water break about 1130, started pushing at 330 and baby was here at 546
foofoomomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I never had the prep stuff the night before, but my morning induction went something like this...got there around 6am...took them forever to get everything in order...and then they had forgotten that I wanted an enema (crazy, huh? )...so i think i finally got pitocin started around 9a. I had arrived at the hosp. dilated to 2cm and i think only like 10-15% effaced. Nothing was happening so they broke my water around noonish and ds1 was born at 3:21p. They told me to expect, as a first time mom, to dilate 1cm per hour...and they were surprised I went so quickly...although, didn't seem quick to me! I think my situation seemed pretty common, although i've heard of a lot quicker and a lot longer...so I think it completely depends on your body and how ready the baby is! But as far as procedure, I think it sounds like you got some good answers
Old 06-25-2006, 09:23 PM   #9
mommypooh
Registered Users

I have never had the overnight prep. I always came in the morning for Pitocin. My first I came in at 7am and was started by 8. I had her at 10:56pm. my second I came in at 8am and started by 9 was not born until 12:36am. I had an epi that worked with my first adn my second it never took as it would not go in where is should have. My babies were rather big.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:10 AM   #10
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for answering. LOL, it looks like it could run the gamit then from insta-labor to several days (I sure hope that doesn't happen!). I know this will be relative in less than 48 hrs, but did the balloon catheter hurt when it was inserted/blown up? Was it uncomfortable? What about going to the bathroom? Thanks, again!
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote