Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2006, 06:25 AM   #1
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs down Stinky wipes in container!?

I usually only use a squirt bottle and wet each wipe when I need them, but since Mason is getting more and more squirmy I thought it'd be worth to also having a box handy w/some wipes already wet. However, after 1 day the box/wipes have already a slightly 'muffy' smell to them. Just yesterday morning I made a new batch of wipes solution (2 cups w/1 Baby Bits cube) and today in the morning it was already smelling yucky again! WTH!?!

Anybody have an idea what could be the problem?

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
Sarah0903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stinky wipes in container!?

Well, I put about 6-7 wipies in the container and we go through those in a day. I only make what I know will be used up in one day because after two days they do get stinky. I put extra solution in the fridge and then just pull it out and pour over wipies each night before bed so that they are room temp for the morning. I am thinking I will use a wipie warmer when I have a new baby so he/she doesn't cry cause they are a little chilly.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

I just think stuff grows in the wipe water when it's this warm. I didn't have a problem in the winter, but everything seems to get stinky faster in the summer.

I have had some luck making up a wipes solution and keeping it in an OPEN container (no wipes). When I need to change his diaper, I drop in one or two wipes as I grab a clean diaper. Then I just need to grab it and wipe- no squirt bottle to mess with. My wipes solutions lasts about 2 days this way, before I need to make new and start over.

HTH
Lauren
Voltige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
aimeeplus3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmmm- that is strange. I have always wet my wipes like that and they never smell. I wash diapers every 2-3 days. I use both Baby Bits and Dixie Drops (not at the same time of course). Did you try boiling the water before you make the solution? sorry I am no help!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:34 AM   #5
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

so the wipe warmer is probably not a good idea for this reason?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:34 AM   #6
FitMommyOf2
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige
I just think stuff grows in the wipe water when it's this warm. I didn't have a problem in the winter, but everything seems to get stinky faster in the summer.

I have had some luck making up a wipes solution and keeping it in an OPEN container (no wipes). When I need to change his diaper, I drop in one or two wipes as I grab a clean diaper. Then I just need to grab it and wipe- no squirt bottle to mess with. My wipes solutions lasts about 2 days this way, before I need to make new and start over.

HTH
Lauren
Good idea w/the open wipes container w/the solution w/o the wipes!

I too only threw in ~6 wipes for the day but with the funky smell developing already over night is just
Old 06-26-2006, 06:52 AM   #7
FitMommyOf2
seller

My Mood:

I always boil the water b4 making the wipes solution. Hmm.. I guess maybe it's just not good w/the warm weather right now... eventhough we really don't have it that warm here in RI.. but it's humid..
I'll try it w/the solution in the container w/o wipes and see what happens.. otherwise I guess I'll just have to stick to my squirt bottle 'technique'.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 AM   #8
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinsMommy
so the wipe warmer is probably not a good idea for this reason?

I used a wipe warmer without any problem- but I only kept plain water in it (no solution, no wipes). It needed to be wiped out every other day because slimy stuff grew in there on the bottom. When I used essential oils in the water, the plastic discolored and then the thing broke! I don't know if there is a connection or not (probably not) but we never bought another and just use a tupperware container now with no lid.
Voltige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:43 AM   #9
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 08:08 AM   #10
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe try adding a little TTO or GSE. I was having this problem but now I'm using more GSE and not having problems. I run through my wipes (one Pampers Wipe Box full) in less then two days, though (usually between 1 and 1 1/2 days).
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote