Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can a doctor determine the gender?

I am going to the Dr today and I'm 17 weeks pg. I haven't been in 6 weeks, so I have no U/S appointment schedualed and I am DYING to find out what I'm having. My Dr has a U/s machine in his office, but I'm pretty sure he won't use it on me this appointment. BUT if he does, do you think that he has the abilitly to determine the gender? I mean, he did an U/S at my first appointment and pointed out the head and body...maybe he can tell a little more? I am contemplating BEGGING him to do an U/s...maybe. Or if he does decide to do one begging him to tell me the gender. Any idea's on how to get him to do another U/S?

I'm not much for lying though I feel too bad...but my friend told the doctor that she fell and they gave her an U/S...I'd prefer a more honest route

Advertisement

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can a doctor determine the gender?

I am not sure they can tell before 20 weeks, and even so the Doc can only give you a guess, it isn't for sure a boy or girl until it comes out or you have an amnio. I am impatient about learning the sex of all my babies too, so I completely understand!! Hope your appt goes well and everything is ok!!
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

I found out what I was having at 17 weeks when I was pregnant with my last DD. If he's good at it and the baby is in the right position that yes, he should be able to tell! Does he have a good ultrasound machine or one of those little mini jobs?
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

If the baby is in the right position he should be able to tell, even at 17 weeks. It's just the chance of not seeing it or making a mistake is higher before 20 weeks. Do you know how to look for the turtle or the hamburger? Turtle's a boy and hamburger is a girl. HTH.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

I found out the sex of DS1 at 16 weeks, DD was a little later(didn't have an u/s until 22 weeks). DS2 and DS3 we found out early also. It just depends on how much experience your doc has with u/s's and if the baby cooperates. My doc has the 4-d u/s machines in his office and does u/s at almost every appt so he has gotten really good at determining gender early.
Good luck in finding out!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

I agree re the position of the baby and the Doc's ability to tell. I had an u/s at 16wks and the Doc was able to tell me.

GL!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
mommypooh
Registered Users

I had a doctor that did a u/s every appointment but only billed for one. It was fun to find out I was having another girl then 2 months later (1month before I delivered) it became a boy. I will never find out again. But good luck, maybe he will be better at it than my doc and can give you som accurate guess.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

My friend has found out with all of hers at 17 wks. (3 children, currently pg with the 3rd)....I'm not for lying either...I'm really superstitious regarding pregnancy and lying. When my mom was in her 20s and working at a factory.....there was a woman who was always leaving for medical reasons...always gone...and mom said, i wish there was something that would get me out of work! Shortly thereafter she was diagnosed with diabetes and then after a lot of misdiagnosis and a lot of missed work and problems, they found cancerous brain tumor. She said that she's never said anything like that ever again and it made me superstitious
Old 06-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

i found out at 16 weeks too, but I had a scheduled ultrasound... gl!
Old 06-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
raversangel
Banned

i found out with my first at 16wks, and my second at 24wks, they waited till later with my second b/c i was larger than i was the first time and they said you have to wait till later to get a clearer pic through all the extra fat...ok that sounds rude, but it totally wasn't when they were explaining it to me...lol
raversangel is offline   Reply With Quote