Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
renfairemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
is this mastitis???

Ok... I need some advice here mamas!! This ds is my 3rd time breastfeeding. With my other 2 I never got mastitis. Yesterday my breast was very sore and last night I had the chills, and had a fever. I generally felt like crud!! I looked at my breast and its noticably red on one side. I have taken garlic, upped my fluids and tried to rest. I no longer have a fever, but my breast is very sore, and the affected side is harder than the other breast. I have been a little stressy lately as we have birthday parties, and baptism coming up and Ive been trying to get things all together for these events. I guess Im wondering what else to do. I do not have insurance so running to the doc isnt exactly an option. ANY advice here mamas???

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
edandsuz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: is this mastitis???

Hi! I'm dealing with mastitis right now too...no fun! I'm on antibiotic, but in addition to that, trying to get moist heat on the affected area as much as I can, and massaging the lump that is the plugged duct. Our lactation consultant last night was showing us to use two fingers to get right behind the plug and massage while the baby's nursing on that side. You should also massage in the shower while running warm water over the breast. I'm still learning myself, but I hope this helps somehow!

PS - A couple people recommended I use Apple Cider Vinegar to help beat the infection, which I did on day 1 (I didn't start antibiotics till the end of day 2). I really think it helped get my fever down - 1/4 cup vinegar in some water. I smelled like Easter eggs, but I think it helped. Just be sure to take acidopholus if you use the vinegar more than once.

Last edited by edandsuz; 06-28-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: PS
edandsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

When I had mastitis (twice) I had a pretty high fever and was very sick and the symptoms didn't start to clear up until after I was on an antibiotic. Is there a lactation consultant at your hospital that you can see? It's a free service at the hospital I go to for as long as you're breastfeeding. Or, are you on WIC? You could see a lactation consultant there, too. If you could get a lactation consultant to get you a prescription (mine called my doctor and had the doctor call me in a prescription), the prescription itself was cheap (about $10 IIRC). If your fever doesn't come back, I would consider it a blocked duct and treat it as such (warm compresses or warm shower, massaging, nursing), but I'm not a medical professional by any means!
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
abigail
Registered Users
seller

I had it with my DD (who I'm almost done nursing right now) but never had it with my DS. I had all of the symptoms you listed. But my fever was high, like 104, and I started to get delerious and do wacky things like try to pull the dryer out from the wall to clean the vent by myself LOL

But you really will need an antibiotic. Even with one, I started to get an infection in my other breast. The doc told me to make sure I took ALL of my medication so there was no lingering infection.

it's no fun I"m sorry
Old 06-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
nushatka
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just got mine cleared, you really need antibiotics. And as someone said, they should be about $10. MY OBG justt called it in, I didn't have to come in and pay my copay (I hate paying $25 for 3 minute visit!)
Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
Fujimama
Registered Users

My Mood:

AWww...just wanted to give you some . Mastitis is horibble. Get well soon.
Fujimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
renfairemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mamas!!... you guys rock... i think im going to call my ob in the morning.. as its almost 3am here and i cant sleep at all!!! This is cruddy!!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:07 AM   #8
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Poor mama! Mastitis totally sucks. I had it when DD was about 2months. I had a really high fever,104 degrees. It was wierd. I felt like I was really engorged on one side. A couple hours later, I had the fever and chills and felt like total crap. I tried the homeopathic route and suffered for about 3 days. I finally gave in and went to the Dr to get some antibiotics. Just remember to eat yogurt or take probiotics, if you get prescribed antibax. You don't wanna get thrush on top of that, KWIM? Get well soon.

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
Rosie-Lily-Violet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You poor thing! A plugged duct can result in a low grade fever, but if it's higher than I think 103 it's more likely to be mastitis (which results from untreated plugged duct.) For my plugged ducts, I use a hot water bottle or hot rice sack to help loosen the fat and then let baby girl nurse as much as possible. If it's mastitis, you'll need to see your dr!
Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
renfairemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you mamas!!... I wanted to update and say I feel TONS better!! I was obviously just trying to do way to much (bday party, baptism, plus my renaissance faire stuff) I ended up doing garlic, vitamin c, a ton of water, and juice drinks, and I rested and nursed!!If the fever had not gotten better I was going to go the ER, but it went away. Im still not sure WHAT I had, but let me tell you it was a wake up call to take it easy!!...