Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Christina3boys
Registered Users

Question Switching to CD'ing

But I am so confused which are the best, after reading all the posts i have mixed emotions if i should use AIO, pockets ect.

What are the pro's and con's of each? be as honest as you would like LOL I want to know what I am in for, I am excited about the switch, my son hasn't tolerated disposable's well.

Advertisement

Christina3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Switching to CD'ing

Everyone is going to have their own personal favorites, and what works for them (or their children, actually) best!

I would suggest trying a couple of each, and see what works for you. When you find what you like, you can sell off the things that don't work right here on diaperswappers.

Personally, I like pockets mostly. I love fuzzi bunz! They fit my tiny son great, and we've never had any issues with them. But, I also like prefolds with covers as well. It's an easy, standby option, for when my dipes are all in the wash, or I just want something different.

I have tried a few different diapers, and for the most part I really love them, but for US fuzzibunz work the best!

Check out some of the cloth diaperwebsites--often they will have starter packages, and things like that. I know that www.nickisdiapers.com has a few, but she also has a really great POCKET diaper package, so you can try most of the pocket diapers and see what works best for you!

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To be honest, I haven't ever tried anything but Fuzzi Bunz. I like them so much I wouldn't want or need to switch. My only problem was the MOE insert. He leaked. Then I bought Hemp Wonderfulls inserts. Those work great! 12 hours of sleep and no leaks, but stinky stinky smell that I have no clue on how to treat.
marelle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a pocket lover too They work Great for us! I use fuzzi bunz, bumgenius, swaddlebees, fuzzifannies, happy heinys....all have worked Great!

But there are some mamas who don't like pockets and there is soo much to choose from with cloth. And its soo fun looking and quite addicting so be careful
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

I am currently a pocket user, too. I loved fitteds/covers for the newborn stage, but once he got bigger, pockets were simpler for DH (&me, too!), so that's all we use now. At the time I couldn't find too many fitteds with microfleece/microsuede stay-dry inners. I loved the feel of OV, but when it was wet, it just seemed kind of gross-feeling to me. Plus it made DS's bottom red. I also got kind of tired of trying to find fitteds/covers combos that worked together and that DH could pair up on his own. I didn't like the fact that I had to rotate covers each change, either. You can reuse covers for multiple changes, but they have to dry out in between, and when you go out someplace it's hard to find a place to let them hang. But I do think that fitteds/covers were the most leak-proof method for newborns with explosive BF poo, IME. I never tried prefolds because it always just seemed too hard to me, but I know a lot of mommas use them with no problems and actually prefer them over other types of dipes. As for pockets, I've tried quite a few different brands/types, and it is a matter of trial and error, what works best for you. Fuzzibunz were our most bulletproof dipes for the longest, until DS outgrew his smalls, and I just never got mediums. (Although now I'm debating getting some!) Now I use mostly BumGenius diapers, which I really like, but I like to have options... I like to be able to choose aplix or snaps and colors at each change. I just got a GAD (green acre designs) that I think (and hope) I'm really going to like. For WAHM dipes, Snap-EZ are great quality! Unfortunately they didn't work for us because they are low rise and DS is sort of hard to fit.

So I don't guess I helped you any!

I do think it's a great idea to get several different types/brands so you can see what works best for you before you buy a whole stash. I've overbought waaaaay too many times. But the good thing is that if you find something that doesn't work for you, or when your DC outgrows them, you can always sell them here and get something back out of them. Just my
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
mommypooh
Registered Users

I prefer all-in-ones for day time use. I make my own and use snaps. I also prefer sidesnap. For night time I use 2 prefolds and a wool cover that again I made myself. I started with all prefolds the cheap ones and plastic pants. I made some pockets, didn't like having to stuff them, I want to grab and go, but they do take a little longer in the dryer. I like to make sure they run for 2 hours just to make sure, they can be done in 1 hr. 15 min. if needed though. I just feel better letting them run 2 full cycles. that is just me though.

since I make them myself I know what kind of absobention I need so I can custom make them for my child, I also get custom fit. I also have the ability to make and extra soaker if I really need it. Other than that I don't use anything else anymore.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
aimeeplus3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Christina! Glad you made it over here!!
Old 06-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi - I just switched too! A little over a month ago and I know what you mean about the overwhelming choices.

My dd is nearly 7 months now, so we have hit the solid poo stage (not peanut butter and definitely not the early BF poo - trust me, it does make a difference in what you'll end up liking!). I do however, use flushable liners to protect the dipe from her diaper cream (used at night and sometimes during the day...brand Baby Carrot (CD friendly!)) and to ease poop clean up.

I like my Swaddlebees & bumG for day use and FB & Happy Heiny's for night. For some reason I have had the most issue with wicking when using the fleece lined dipes. But, the microfleece seems to be a bit irritating to my dd.

AND, in all honesty, I wish I had tried prefolds and covers first. They really are that easy...I just fold and put in the cover, no snappi and no pins - and no problems so far. I've tried this for day use only (sticking to my tried and now true night time solutions!). I do like pocket for the diaper bag - but really suggest you give prefolds/covers a try. Instead of the disposable liners - I use microfleece liners and if I know she is going to poop that day (predictable , yes) I use the flushable liners on top of the fleece. It's probably way too much...but I'm addicted to the dry feeling of her skin with microfleece!

Hope this helps!
Old 06-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #9
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Hi! Welcome to DS, I have a Nov 05 baby also.

We are liking pockets, and like to have a few fitteds around for afternoons (she is a light wetter in the afternoons and I use fitteds without a cover, so this works out well.) We use Fuzzi Bunz w/ NurturedFamily.com or Nickisdiapers.com inserts. I think you'd find pockets an easy way to start out CD'ing. I would suggest to you to just order a few different kinds of systems and see what you like. I think Nicki may even have a combo package at her store that lets you try out maybe 4 different pocket diapers.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't really like pockets. Didn't seem to fit right no matter what brand. So it's fitted or pf and covers/ wool most of the time. I do have a few aio's for dh, and diaper bag. It's a lot easier to change a baby in the car with an aio than a pf and cover in my opinion.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote