Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

trip to the in-laws

So, for the Fourth, The Husband has off five days. So, we're making a trip to my in-laws so they can see and meet Abby. My husband and I both agree that we'll use sposies for the 12-14 hr car trip, but cloth while we're there. He assures me my MIL will have NO issues with that. However, I'm wondering what are we gonna' put the soiled dipes in while we're there? I only have 12 or so that fit her right now, so I'll be washing everyday (like I do here at home). At home, we have a laundry basket and it's just lined with a laundry bag with a drawstring that we got at WalMart. Think I should just take the laundry bag? Though, it's kinda' huge for just twelve dipes, KWIM?

On a completely off-topic note, anyone have any tips to get through that long of a car trip with a nursing one-month old who is going through a growth spurt?

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
sunshineandlove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: trip to the in-laws

I don't have any tips about the travelling with a one-month-old, but I go to my in-laws all the time and I put the dipes in a drawstring plastic garbage bag inside a large wet bag. I don't want to risk any stinky smell at all! Washing every day you won't have that problem I wouldn't think so you could either use a regular garbage bag or your really really big laundry bag I would think.
Good luck with your trip!

Happily cloth diapered 2 babies!
sunshineandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
littlelady
Registered Users

I'd get a smaller size wet bag at WM (for about $3) and just hang it on a door knob at your IL's. In the camping section at WM they have waterproof wet bags in the size you should need. You can always use it in the diaper bag later.

Last edited by littlelady; 06-26-2006 at 02:20 PM.
littlelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Honestly? You'll be fine with whatever you do, but I'd just use a garbage sack!!

I don't have a wetbag (yet) at home, so I line my diaper pail with a scented (cheapo) garbage bag. It works great. Granted, I'd really like to get a few wetbags, but this works just fine.

I really don't think you'll have a problem, especially since you'll be washing every day!

I don't have any tips for the car ride. When Cam was little and we were constantly on the road going to new hospitals, we always had to stop and nurse. There wasn't really any way around it for us! Hope your trip is successful!
Old 06-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
belladonna
Registered Users

Oh yeah I have a tip for you. Prefold (or hand towel) under the baby's bottom & back in the carseat. Sposie + baby that young=poo up the back every single time we put them in the car, lol.

I'd tell DH to bring along a book to read when you have to stop every hour to nurse the baby too. Mine used to get really cranky with the frequent stops until I started keeping a book in the car for him.
belladonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I'd say that you should just let dh know up front that the trip will take a long time. My dh still gets upset about having to stop. He doesn't seem to get the fact that we have kids and we are going to stop. He just focuses on how long it should take and how long it will take with all the stops.
I agree with all the pps about the garbage bags. That should work great for you just for a few days.
GL and HTH
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
frawwgwithtadpoles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We moved from FL back to AL when DD was about that age. I sat in the back seat with her most of the time and nursed her in her seat. I just leaned over her and let her nurse. That doesn't say much for the condition of my boobs! And I am sure many people on the road had a story to tell when they got home that day! LOL It was not particularly comfortable, but it saved time and many stops. At that age, she slept a good bit so it worked wonders for us. It sure beat listening to DH complain!
frawwgwithtadpoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
sunshineandlove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
He just focuses on how long it should take and how long it will take with all the stops.
Are we married to the same man??!!?? LMBO

Happily cloth diapered 2 babies!
sunshineandlove is offline   Reply With Quote