Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Exclamation Nationwide Nurse In at Victoria Secrets July 1st @1pm!!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=472764

just thought i would post this here!!! i hope you can join in i will be at my local VS

Advertisement

mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
jaci_hutton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nationwide Nurse In at Victoria Secrets July 1st @1pm!!

to bad we dont have one here!!
Old 06-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
mama23boys
Banned
seller

thats too bad!

anyone else planning on going?
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd do it if I knew any other mich moms were going to be there
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
mommypooh
Registered Users

well I guess I could do it. I could go to 2 different ones and nurse one or both my children. I don't like VS anyways they don't make stuff big enough for me, but have the nerve to keep me on their mailing list. I will put it on my calender. thank you for letting us know.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I'll be there. I'll be at the Oak Park Mall in Overland Park, KS. I have a few women with me but if anyone else is in the area I'd love to have more!
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

does anyone have links to actual facts about this directly from VS? or is it all just hearsay?
Old 06-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can google breastfeeding and Victorias Secret and find lots of articles about ONE incident. A mom in SC was shopping in the mall (NOT in VS) and needed to feed her daughter. She went into VS and asked if she could use a dressing room to nurse. The store employee "suggested" that she might be more comfortable using the public restroom across the way. This was more than a year ago...I can't remember exactly how long. Her local LLL held a nurse-in at that VS and VS issued a public apology and statement that this was a misunderstanding and breastfeeding is and has always been welcome in their stores. I agree that the store employee was out of line by suggesting that the mom use the restroom to feed her daughter, however, given the circumstances, she probably would have done the same had the mother asked to use the dressing room to give a bottle or change the baby or anything else. The objection was as much to a non-customer tying up the fitting room as to breastfeeding. If the mom had been walking through the store nursing and asked to leave, then I'd feel totally different about the situation. Honestly, based on everything I've read about this case (and I was outraged when I first heard about it and read everything I could find) I think it has been blown way out of proportion.

Now, there was a link to a thread on MDC posted above and I did check that out, although I haven't read the whole gazillion page post. It seems that there are at least three mothers on MDC claiming that this happened to them in VS. I don't know these moms and won't say whether they are being truthful or not, but in reading their stories, they all sounded suspiciously similar to the Lori Rueger incident discussed above. Even down to actual quotes that the mothers and store employees said. All of the women also claimed to contact the media, but the only information I've seen on the web is about Lori Rueger. If all these things really did happen, then something definitely needs to be done. I'm hoping to have time this week to do a little more research on the issue but based on what I know right now, I think that a lot of the hype is based on hearsay and misunderstanding, unfortunately.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the info I dont shop there but I like to have facts anyways kwim?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:11 AM   #10
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I FINALLY finished reading everything on MDC about the situation with Vic's. Apparently I'm not the only one who's a little confused about this because there were a couple of mamas who posted over there with the same concerns I have.

Here's a summary of what I can figure out:
1. Lori Rueger - this was last year sometime, she's the one I posted about originally. She was not shopping in VS, but went in and asked to use a dressing room to nurse her daughter. The store employee suggested she use a restroom in another store. Corporate issued an apology and said they are pro-breastfeeding and that while this incident was unfortunate, hopefully it will bring about awareness and have a good outcome. This got a lot of press at the end of last year because SC was just passing NIP legislation and she testified during the hearings.

2. Within the last couple of weeks, an MDC mom in MA was not shopping in VS but figured if she could feed her baby there, then maybe she'd buy something. She went in and asked to use a dressing room, the sales lady asked why, she said to nurse, and the sales lady told her that it was against company policy and unsanitary and directed her to a public restroom. When she called the store manager, she was very apologetic and said that the sales lady was wrong and that she should have been allowed to use the dressing room to nurse and that she would talk with her about it. She called corporate anyway and they were very apologetic and said that it was an isolated incident and that they would send her a written apology. Apparently MA is considering NIP legislation this week so the lactivists want to use VS to get publicity, even though the management apologized and the company supposedly does have a bf friendly policy.

3. Sometime in the past couple of weeks another MDC mom (can't remember now where she was...MI?) went into VS and asked to use a dressing room to nurse. She was told that the dressing rooms were all full so she said she'd just sit on the floor and nurse. The store manager (asst manager?) came and "offered" to let her use the employee restroom to nurse but she refused. About that time, a dressing room opened up so she went in there to finish and then left. When she called corporate, she was told by one CSR that the employees were probably afraid someone would be offended by seeing her nurse and by another one that she needed to use a dressing room or restroom instead of nursing on the sales floor for the same reason that you're not allowed to try on clothes on the sales floor.

So, based on what I've read, and of course, this is JMO, the third case is the one that is really the biggest problem. She was in there with another woman and they were shopping and she was asked to "hide" to nurse. Now, only she knows how the attitude was. I know that I have had people "offer" to let me go somewhere private or ask whether I'd be more comfortable in private and lots of times you can tell that they're bringing it up because they're uncomfortable, not because they care if I am. How they ask has a lot to do with the response they get...and like I said, she's the only one who knows that. They didn't ask her to leave the store or stop nursing, they just "offered" her somewhere private to nurse. Some people are uncomfortable with NIP, that's not going to change. Generally, I feel like those people should just look away but if you're talking about the manager of a crowded store, I can understand her letting her own feelings cloud her judgement. She probably figured if she was uncomfortable seeing this woman sitting on the floor nursing, then others would be too so it would just be better for everyone if she could give her a private place out of sight. When the dressing rooms were occupied, she "offered" her the employee restroom (which she probably thought was doing the mama a favor...she didn't tell her to go use the public restroom on the other side of the mall) but she didn't tell her to cover up or stop or leave or anything like that. Now, it would appear that these two employees (as well as the CSRs that this mama spoke with at corporate) may not be very well informed on the company's bf-friendly policy, but this DOES seem to be an isolated incident. This one is very different from the other two where non-customers came in and asked to use a dressing room for nothing other than to nurse. As a mama on the MDC thread pointed out, if they let people do that, then they'd have to open up a dressing room for anyone who wanted privacy for anything...not very practical. And again, they offered to let her use either a dressing room or the employee restroom, they didn't force her or ask her to leave or quit nursing. I couldn't find anything on VS or the parent company's website but apparently their policy is to allow customers to use the dressing rooms to nurse if they want to...so in fact, what these employees did was within the company's policy.

According to the ladies on MDC who are trying to organize this nurse-in, their goal is two-fold: 1. they want to encourage VS to better educate their employees on their bf policies (I'm not really sure this is a problem but you have to judge that for yourself) and 2. to make a point to legistlators in states that don't have or are considering NIP laws (great if you're in one of those places...) And then there seems to be tiny faction that just want VS to start making nursing bras!

DJ's weaned now and the new baby is not here yet so it's not really an issue for me. If you're interested, check the Finding Your Tribe forum at MDC for details on who's doing what where. Personally, I like the irony of VS giving bf mamas a hard time, but I'm not really sure where I stand on the rest of it...
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote