Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #11
Pretzel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: bac-out

sorry, this is going to be a total thread-jack but here goes...

I've never used bac-out before, my wash routine is cold pre-wash, hot wash with detergent, 2nd hot wash with extra rinse. BUT, when the diaper pail is full (dry pail) and i've opened it to put the dipes in the washer, the amonia smell is overwhelming! I've always assumed this is normal with CD's, and that it all comes out in the hot wash, but could this be why my DD gets a red bum if I don't use a flush-away liner? Should I be using bac-out or something similar?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
sorry, this is going to be a total thread-jack but here goes...

I've never used bac-out before, my wash routine is cold pre-wash, hot wash with detergent, 2nd hot wash with extra rinse. BUT, when the diaper pail is full (dry pail) and i've opened it to put the dipes in the washer, the amonia smell is overwhelming! I've always assumed this is normal with CD's, and that it all comes out in the hot wash, but could this be why my DD gets a red bum if I don't use a flush-away liner? Should I be using bac-out or something similar?

Thanks!
Thats how my sons diapers were this morning when I washed them So I just did a cold rinse HOT wash with dawn and vinager in a downey ball and a million cold rinses.

I read online to soak your diapers on Bac-Out so once mine arrives I think I'll try that!

I just threw my DDs diapers in the wash and hers smell a little like amonia
Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #13
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm totally buying some of that tomorrow....we've just started having some ammonia smells on the pocket inserts...nothing else has totally worked so far.....if the bac out doesn't work, I think I'll have to invest in new inserts....
Old 06-30-2007, 08:07 AM   #14
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

I am totally new to bac-out, but I'm sold on it. I put a couple squirts of it in a bucket of hot water and put all my AIOs and Thirsties fitteds in there to soak for about an hour. Then I dumped the whole bucket in the machine with hot water and a capful of sportwash. It took about 8 hot rinses to get all the suds out, but those dipes have NO SMELL coming out of the wash now. I think I had a combination of detergent buildup in microfiber (I did the same thing with a load of prefolds, and got no suds in the rinse at all) and just plain dipes not getting clean enough (faint barnyard aroma). I'll be spraying all poopy dipes with bac-out from now on.

I had tried bleach, oxyclean, dawn, dishwasher, calgon, baking soda, vinegar, sunshine, several differend detergents and RLR, and it wasn't working on the microfiber. If bac-out hadn't worked, I'd have gone back to using sposies for outings.