Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
GodStillTalks
Registered Users
seller

"Green" disposables

We still use disposables at night, because my husband has a thing about the kids wearing cool jammies. Of course, slim cotton leggings DO NOT mix with cloth diapers very well. So we just use sposies at night.

I really don't like it, but DH asks for so little, and for some reason it is a big thing for him. Must be a fond childhood memory or something.

Anyways...is 7th Generation and the like really any better? Is it worth the extra cost? Are they absorbent enough for a toddlers overnight?

TIA!
Jenn

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
mich1218
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Green" disposables

I never used them but considered them before I started CDing. I went in the CDing direction after I felt that there were no real advantages to them in regards to waste. There are less chemicals than in regular sposies, but the waste generated would be the same.
Snooty Booty Diapers-Code "swapper" for free shipping-Knickernappies, Softbums, Booroi, Bum Genius, GroBaby, Bottombumpers, Tiny Tush, Thirsties, Mommy's Touch & more!Cloth Diapers Made Simple blog-info,giveaways, reviews
mich1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

What about G diapers? Those get flushed instead of sitting in landfills.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Googly Bear
Registered Users
Formerly: Leighznich
seller
seller

My Mood:

G Diapers are just as bulky I think.

I used 7th Gen before I switched to cloth and LOVE them. I still use them when we go out. (At night I use sposies too, but I use Huggies Overnights because nothing comes close to working better than these do for heavy wetters!) Seventh Generation are trim and work great on leaks. I find that they aren't so good for heavy wetters. They don't leak, they just get REALLY full and uncomfortable.
Googly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
carleyann'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure they are any greener per say, we used them recently on a trip because they are suppose to be hypo-allergenic(DD gets rash from regular sposies) so I think it is that they have less yucky stuff in them. They held up ok but them seem wimpyer(if that is word) i ripped several tabs off putting them on just seem to be thinner than regular sposies hard to explain if you don't have them to look at and compare but they aren't a whole lot more a bag of 64 size 2 was $17 but I am not sure about bigger sizes I know you usually get less for more.
carleyann'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do think 7th generation are greener. The chlorine used to bleach paper and diapers is absolutely horrid to the environment. &th generation are unbleached. That's a big deal for the environment and your kiddos skin IMO.

PLUS if you go to Amazon.com to buy them, you can sign up for a subscription and have them shipped every 6 months (or more frequently) and save 15% off the price PLUS FREE shipping! That works out to about 25 cents per diaper, so NOT more expensive than the less "green" brands.

Here's a linky:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
the subcribe and save option is right there on the right and you can use the drop down to choose whichever size you need.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #7
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got the 7th gen ones back right before I convinced the sitter to use cloth. I did the math and they were really NOT much more expensive than target brand sposies, which is what we had been sending her to the sitters in. Now those 7th gen ones are at my parents house for her visits - she's gone overnight in them, no problem. She used to need the huggies overnights, but the 7th gen ones work just fine. She's 2 and a super soaker, so I'd say they'd hold up.

My plug - have you thought about maybe trying a dream-eze w/ a trim cover for overnight? They're super trim and would be okay under cute pjs, but they're good for dd.

ETA: in my experience with the g dipes, using their inserts is not good enough for night time, even when doubled, for a super soaker. And 7th gen dipes are better than regular sposies b/c they're unbleached. They still have the gooky crystals inside, but they're better than most.

Last edited by Katherine; 06-30-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
GodStillTalks
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the responses! I think I will buy a small pack of 7th gen to try out. I keep looking at gdiapers- but I don't really see them as very reliable. If I got them, I would use a trifold pf in them, which negates the trim sposie aspect.

My toddlers are close to potty training, so I really don't want to invest in more cloth diapers for them. I am making them trainers now, but they won't be night worthy.

A double-stuff bg worked great overnight for quite a while, but the waistband of their pjs goes inside the diaper and wicks.

Why is this so hard? lol Makes you wonder what grandma did...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
MommytoAly+Timmy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

G diapers are fairly trim, IMO much trimmer than cloth, but only slightly bulkier than a sposie. They fit well under regular clothe and pjs. You can stuff them with a prefold and they work well overnight.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

When we use cloth at noght and 2 piece jammies, I just fold the waist band down so it doesn't cover the top of the diaper. That keeps it from wicking.