Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
IdahoGrrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question travelling w/ cloth

Since my dd was born, we've never gone away from home for more than a week & I've always used sposies (dd doesn't have any problem w/ sposies)

Now, we're planning a 1 month trip to take her to meet my in-laws in Australia. We'll be staying in one house for 1 week & another for 3 weeks (they'll both have washers & dryers in house & are cool w/ me washing there). I'm seriously considering taking our fluff w/ us, but unsure cause it's so bulky!

So for those of you who've traveled w/ cloth- was it a good experience? Would you do it again?

tia!

Advertisement

Last edited by IdahoGrrl; 07-01-2007 at 01:52 PM.
IdahoGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: travelling w/ cloth

I always travel with cloth, and love it. When we fly, I always kinda worry that they will lose my precious dipes though.

Have fun on your trip, that is soo awesome to be able to stay there for a whole month, I would love to go to Australia!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would talk with your inlaws first and find out if they would mind.. after all it is THEIR washer and dryer you are going to use. Not all people are comfy with that. The last thing you want to do is have to look for a nearby laundromat!! (My in laws are in Sidney by the way!) I think Australia is pretty eclectic and cloth diapers are used quite a bit. Maybe you can post a good pavlova recipe when you get back (hint).
If they are ok with it and you want to - go for it Do what you are comfy with.. ultimately it is your vacation. What would make you the most relaxed?

I just went on a camping trip for a 5 days and did not bring enough dipes... I felt like I spent my whole week dealing with dipes. Personally... we have decided next time we vacation, we will use 7th generation dipes.

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
IdahoGrrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks! I just edited the op to add that everyone's cool w/ me using their washers for dipes
Old 07-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I'd bring the stash! I just went away for a week and brought my cloth, worked out perfectly. I had enough so I only washed every 3 days, it didn't feel like I was dealing with laundry that way. As for packing it was easier than I though. I brought mainly prefolds (whcih lay flat) and then pockets which I unstuffed and also layed flat. Basically everything I brought (a few night time fitteds, pockets, wipes, wetbags, ect were packed flat so it didn't take up too much room. I fir all the dipes and her clothes plus my carriers in 1 suitcase.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
IdahoGrrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

anybody else?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
Sue2U
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just went away for a little over two weeks and took my prefolds and wool. It was a 15 hr. drive (we drove straight) and I had no leaks (of course we pulled over every couple of hours to rest and eat and change diapers). I bought a large space bag and put everything in there, it really cut down on bulkiness. I put enough for the day in my diaper bag. I washed every other night and took my bummis large tote as my wetbag to use while there and to and from home.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoGrrl View Post
thanks! I just edited the op to add that everyone's cool w/ me using their washers for dipes

I would do it My experience that wasn't fun was because I did not bring enough dipes!! lol If they don't mind.. and you don't mind... then go for it I have to admit though... I would carry on for sure because I would freak if it got lost!

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
DukeyMama
Registered Users
seller

I'm travelling to Sydney this month with my family at the end of the month. I wasn't planning on bringing cloth with me on the airplane, but would love to do it occasionally at our cousin's house. I can't imagine keeping DS in disposables for 2 whole weeks.
I'm thinking I'll just bring my PFs and covers. We'll buy disposables there for when I'm not diapering him.
DukeyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd CD. At this point it would drive me nuts to go a whole month without CDs. lol

We went to my Mom's house for about a week, recently and it was ok CDing there. She didn't mind my using the washer for CDs. The only thing that could have helped would have been liners.

I actually took too many diapers and could have gotten away with much less. But with my sister's wedding I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time to be doing laundry.

We don't travel much and don't have a ton of suitcases, so what I did is put the kids clothes in back-packs. One for Jacob, one for Grace and one for Grace's diapers!! Plus some more diapers in the diaper bag.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote