Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: travelling w/ cloth

not sure if you've already left for your trip but thought I'd chime in. I just traveled for 2 weeks with cloth and here was my experience.
first the bad news, then the good
first stop on our mega road trip was grandma's house who has CAT hair everywhere. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have this problem but just in case, be careful if you are allergic and your relatives have pets because I got cat hair all over all my diapers, especially fleece ones - because cat hair was also in her washer/dyer and it was horrible and took a lot of time and trouble to get completely cat hair free afterwards.
then we went to a resort for a week with washer/dryer and it was fine but after a couple days my pockets were leaky and i think it was because i wasn't used to the washer (i have a HE front load at home) and the diapers were getting build up.
also I found that using cloth during mega long drives just wasn't very easy. Especially because my baby poops big messes often. It's hard to change a big poopy cloth diaper while your child is in the carseat. blegh.
lastly, unlike a PP, I had trouble keeping my stash under control with our luggage. I found that constantly lugging around a bag of clean dipes and dirty dipes were a bit troublesome, even with our car.

now the good news.

All the relatives loved how cute the dipes were LOL
I saved money and it was better for the environment
I felt very proud of myself for using cloth for 2 weeks while traveling - self satisfaction!

so weighing it all, you should decide for yourself! But it definitely is very do-able and not as difficult as you would think -- but from my experience, there are some drawbacks.

wife to DH Chris and mom to beautiful Esther 8/12/06
dreamtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

We went from Poland to the states and took our cloth twice now. We had no problems. I too was a bit concerned because it was bulky but it turned out good because I just stuck a few in a zip lock bag and then used those to cushion some slightly fragile stuff. You can squish the air out of the bag and then zip it shut and it does not take up so much room. For me it is a bonus too because I can' buy Zip-Loc bags here!
I would say that as long as your family is kosher with the cloth then take it. You will fell better about your babies bum and get to share the cloth love too! Oh, hey maybe you can find a store and pick up a Baby Beehinds while you are there, since that is where they are made. Tell your DH that it is basically a travel souvenir!!! Danni
banned for excessive strikes

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #13
Registered Users

When are you leaving for AUS? We fly to Sydney on the 28th. Can't wait!!!
DukeyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #14
Big Grown-Up Mommy
Registered Users
My Mood:

We've taken a couple week-long trips with our cloth and overall, it was great.
We bought extra pockets for the trip because they were easy and dried fast.
We used a MOE hanging wet bag to store the dirties until wash day and just used extra inserts for overnight. Trash-free changes are extra nice when you're traveling!
Good luck!
Heather, mom to two sweet boys: B 9/01 and S 7/05.
At MDC/HC/Pin as Heather30ish and Ebay as NYBookMom. Smoke-free, cat-friendly home!
Big Grown-Up Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote