Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #11
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:
Re: WDYT are some causes for why breastfeeding and success rates are so lowin N Ameri

the availability of formula, especially free formula

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #12
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:
Re: WDYT are some causes for why breastfeeding and success rates are so lowin N Ameri

The nurses at my hospital all wear name tag things around their necks that say "Breastfed babies are healthy babies" and support breastfeeding 100%. If I were a mom choosing not to BF, I think it would make me feel terrible, like I was a bad mom for choosing not to BF, just being around all that pro-BF stuff. There are 2 LC's that are extremely helpful and actually, all the nurses can help moms get the baby latched on, etc..., when help is needed. We have the option of having our babies 'room in' which is great, but they can go back to the nursery, too, and I've never been worried about them giving formula. It's like pulling teeth to even get them to give the baby a pacifier. When DS had low blood sugar and they had to give him something, they gave him a tiny amount of formula from a cup - these cute little tiny cups they have just for that purpose (for formula or sugar water when it's needed). Out of all of my close mommy friends, all of them BF, which makes me the odd one since I haven't been able to breastfeed successfully for very long with any of my babies. I still have hope for next time, though. That low BF rate must be in other areas of the country or maybe I just don't know those mamas!
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:13 AM   #13
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think there are many reasons.
1. Breasts are seen more as sexual objects in the US- hence the reason public nursing is not so readily accepted. Some women- I would even venture to say more so younger moms- feel uncomfortable about putting their breast in a baby's mouth. My cousin had a c-section with her first and said that was enough and she never even TRIED to bf- she will soon have her third c-section and she has yet to nurse any of them! I'm not sure what one thing has to do with the other- I had a c-section with DS3 and he would never even accept a bottle!
2. Brestfeeding is a huge commitment- you lose even more freedom than what you lose normally from becoming a parent.
3. Breastfeeding hurts in the beginning- at least IME- and they tell you if it hurts you are doing it wrong and the baby probably isn't getting enough to eat. I was blistered before I left the hospital with DS2 & 3 and they were great nursers and I had no problem bfing either of them. I believe I bled in the beginning of nursing all 3! I think if women were more prepared for the reality of bfing there would be a higher success rate. No one lies and says that giving birth is easy and not painful but people do that! I feel like it is a necessary evil- I made the commitment to have a child and I want to give them the best start that I'm able to.
4. Health professionals act like you are a PITA in the hospital because you have all these restrictions- not that it matters to me because they never had to take care of my baby's anyways- except for DS3 was in the NICU for 2 days where the nurses were giving him formula through a feeding tube WITHOUT my consent! I would go to the NICU every 3 hours to nurse him and they would give him formula when I was gone and then I didn't understand why he wouldn't be interested in nursing the next time- when I figured it out I sat in the NICU in a wheelchair (recovering from c-section) holding him in between feedings- I figure if I never left they couldn't give him formula! That is really sad! They hindered my recovery because I felt it necessary to do the right thing for my baby.
We need to do something to change the perception of bfing- formula should be seen as an alternative in rare circumstances, not a valid choice.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I must say the hospital where my LOs were born where not pro-bfing!

I think if they DIDNT give new Mothers a bag full of formula and bottles but BFing supplies instead it would help!

With DS I had a nurse who had never had a baby (I prefer an LC with some real life experience) come in and latch DS on, she latched him sooo wrong I was bleeding, sore and crying for 2months until I found out he was latched wrong. So more hospitals need GOOD LCs!!

I think hospitals also need nurses and DRs who are open to BFing to know its the best way! When I had DD I was still nursing DS who was 18months old. I had every single DR & nurse on the FLOOR come in to my room and tell me I cant "Do that here!" (nurse 2 babies) and "Your starving your new baby!" and "He is STILL nursing!" and "Your new baby is getting milk meant for a 18month old!" I think if hospitals taught their staff the truth about BFing it would really help Mothers!

Also I know new Moms dont want an LC to come in and be a BFing Nazi or be an LC who doesnt know much!

ETA: And free formula, I have known a few Moms who didnt BF because they could get free formula from WIC. "Why BF when I can get this for free?" "BFing is free" "But I can still go out at night" (a reason apparently!)

Last edited by Calideedle; 07-02-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #15
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Yeah I really think that there's just enough of a push for it because doctors and nurses are afraid of offending. There's no reason at all not to try, and no excuse. If you don't try, you are never going to succeed. It took Ben Franklin 2,000 wrong tries to make a working lightbulb. But I think all of us thank him for not giving up when we turn ours on at night, don't we???? LIkewise, formula and bottles are pushed as "just as good" and "more convenient" and "for those times when you dont' want to nurse in public." It's seen as wrong because breasts for for daddies, not babies. If vaginas are seen as dual-purpose(sexual pleasure and birthing babies), then why can't breasts be as well?????? And breastfeeding is just frowned upon in public so how is a nursing mama supposed to leave her house without offending someone? Not everyone is as militant and uncaring as to who she offends as I am.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #16
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read all of the posts:

1. B/c Americans have a lazy mindset
2. WIC is free
3. Marketing
4. BEcause women aren't empowered enough to believe in their bodies
5. Peer Pressure
6. Mom Pressure
7. Mom's just have to go back to work
8. Not enough support
9. Not enough good common sense
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #17
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
I must say the hospital where my LOs were born where not pro-bfing!

I think if they DIDNT give new Mothers a bag full of formula and bottles but BFing supplies instead it would help!

With DS I had a nurse who had never had a baby (I prefer an LC with some real life experience) come in and latch DS on, she latched him sooo wrong I was bleeding, sore and crying for 2months until I found out he was latched wrong. So more hospitals need GOOD LCs!!

I think hospitals also need nurses and DRs who are open to BFing to know its the best way! When I had DD I was still nursing DS who was 18months old. I had every single DR & nurse on the FLOOR come in to my room and tell me I cant "Do that here!" (nurse 2 babies) and "Your starving your new baby!" and "He is STILL nursing!" and "Your new baby is getting milk meant for a 18month old!" I think if hospitals taught their staff the truth about BFing it would really help Mothers!

Also I know new Moms dont want an LC to come in and be a BFing Nazi or be an LC who doesnt know much!

ETA: And free formula, I have known a few Moms who didnt BF because they could get free formula from WIC. "Why BF when I can get this for free?" "BFing is free" "But I can still go out at night" (a reason apparently!)

I agree iwth all the problems of the wic program and I"m not sure how to fix them but definitely believe it's a contributing factor. As to the bags at the hospital, it's ridiculous. I had my daughter at 34weeks and got a formula sample bag(even though I said I was breastfeeding. they just threw in some sposie pad samples) when I had her and left the hospital and then again when I first visited my daughter in the nicu as a congrats and then another bag when she left the nicu. Tha'ts 3 cans of formula and 3 pairs of sposie pads. WORTHLESS! And I had a really bf'ing friendly hospital! They were in constantly asking if I needed help. When I had dd early they brought me a rental pump as soon as I was wheeled into my room(before I even saw her) and told that as soon as I could get started pumping, the better dd would be. When I got just 5 or 6 drops of colostrum and was crying, my nurse sat hugging me and telling me that I was amazing for getting anything and that my daughter was very lucky to have me. Then she called the nicu and warned them about it and as soon as I handed them the little bottle of colostrum I had three ladies praising it and saying how golden it looked and how rich and creamy it was and could they give it to her right now! They added her formula directly to the bottles of colostrum so that not a single drop was wasted. But not everyone gets that experience. I truly thought I had superboobies due to my nicu experience. I pumped around the clock and ended up donating to some other babies. I wish everyone had my nursing expereince in the hospital.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #18
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadjarea View Post
I didn't read all of the posts:

1. B/c Americans have a lazy mindset
2. WIC is free
3. Marketing
4. BEcause women aren't empowered enough to believe in their bodies
5. Peer Pressure
6. Mom Pressure
7. Mom's just have to go back to work
8. Not enough support
9. Not enough good common sense

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #19
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
I agree iwth all the problems of the wic program and I"m not sure how to fix them but definitely believe it's a contributing factor. As to the bags at the hospital, it's ridiculous. I had my daughter at 34weeks and got a formula sample bag(even though I said I was breastfeeding. they just threw in some sposie pad samples) when I had her and left the hospital and then again when I first visited my daughter in the nicu as a congrats and then another bag when she left the nicu. Tha'ts 3 cans of formula and 3 pairs of sposie pads. WORTHLESS! And I had a really bf'ing friendly hospital! They were in constantly asking if I needed help. When I had dd early they brought me a rental pump as soon as I was wheeled into my room(before I even saw her) and told that as soon as I could get started pumping, the better dd would be. When I got just 5 or 6 drops of colostrum and was crying, my nurse sat hugging me and telling me that I was amazing for getting anything and that my daughter was very lucky to have me. Then she called the nicu and warned them about it and as soon as I handed them the little bottle of colostrum I had three ladies praising it and saying how golden it looked and how rich and creamy it was and could they give it to her right now! They added her formula directly to the bottles of colostrum so that not a single drop was wasted. But not everyone gets that experience. I truly thought I had superboobies due to my nicu experience. I pumped around the clock and ended up donating to some other babies. I wish everyone had my nursing expereince in the hospital.
Thats awesome, because quite a few Moms would give up.

In our "Bag" from the hospital there was 3 CANs of Formula, A how to feed your baby book (not BFing mentioned), Bottles and Pacifiers! How is that going to HELP a Mom BF?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #20
Beatle412
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think WIC is a huge factor, especially in low socienomic circles. Granted, I have no problem with women who choose to FF having access to formula vs possibly over diluting formula or using canned carnation. But I do think the "free" factor of it is something.

I also think hospitals can make of break ya. I had a very traumatic c/s after a UC transfer for cord prolapse. I was in a lot of pain from the "slash-n-dash" c/s. I needed demerol as I am HIGHLY allergic to codeine. They wouldn't let me BF if I was getting demerol. And they wouldn't even try another narcotic that wasn't a L4. Well then the nipple confusion happend, and thankfully I was pumping roughly 6oz a day, b/c around 4 mo he was dx w/ a milk, soy, corn, and wheat allergy/sensitivity. I was able to fully relactate and EP. It's no fun though, much more work than BFing, and more work than FFing.

I also think our crappy maternity leave and lack of workforce support is a BIG factor on why women quit early. And probably why some don't bother at all. b/c if I kenw I was going to have to go back to work at 6 weeks, I wouldn't bother messing with those "rough 1st 6 weeks" either, just to have to switch to formula. Yea, FMLA gives your 12, but they are unpaid, and not all employers are covered under FMLA.

And as long as MOTHERING magazines get blasted for showing a BFing baby and part of a boob, we will never progress. BFing needs to be normalized on a HUGE scale before some people will feel comfortable.

Steph
Beatle412 is offline   Reply With Quote