Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #21
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WDYT are some causes for why breastfeeding and success rates are so lowin N Ameri

Here in Poland all the nurses are trained in teaching breastfeeding. It is not any special position, they all just know. It is too bad that they are not required to know that in the states. It is sad that the info and support is just not automatic for however you choose to feed your baby. Wouldn't it make sense for the nurses to ask and then go with whichever choice and not to push one or the other and be able to help either way. I think that it is just sad and it is part of my choosing to have all of our children here in Poland, also because we have no insurance in the states and it would cost a fortune! Dnani

Advertisement

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #22
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Re: WDYT are some causes for why breastfeeding and success rates are so lowin N Ameri

It's made out to be a personal choice, as if its an outfit that the mom is picking out or something. I think that our society needs to help women be accountable to their children, knowing that breastmilk will give them the best start in life.

Women also see it as this HUGE deal. What if I can't? What if I don't have enough? What if, what if, what if. I think sometimes we forget that in poor countries where there is no money for formula, the majority of babies are nursed without the huge host of problems we seem to have here.

The mind is a very powerful thing. If we could just see breastfeeding as a normal thing that everyone did, I think people would be less likely to think they could fail at it.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #23
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

As a soon to be new mom I really really want to BF, but completely honestly, I am worried that I won't be able to. I think what is hurting my perception of BF the most is a lack of support. Not necessarily that I have people telling me that I shouldn't or I can't - just that I have never personally known anybody who has been "able" to BF. Lots of different excuses, but in my mind it seems more common to have problems then be able to do it.

It would be so much different if 95% of women here did it - it wouldn't seem like an impossible dream, LOL!

Oh, and I told my MIL this and she told me that I know somebody now b/c she BF'd her little ones until they were 3
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #24
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidisue View Post
As a soon to be new mom I really really want to BF, but completely honestly, I am worried that I won't be able to. I think what is hurting my perception of BF the most is a lack of support. Not necessarily that I have people telling me that I shouldn't or I can't - just that I have never personally known anybody who has been "able" to BF. Lots of different excuses, but in my mind it seems more common to have problems then be able to do it.

It would be so much different if 95% of women here did it - it wouldn't seem like an impossible dream, LOL!

Oh, and I told my MIL this and she told me that I know somebody now b/c she BF'd her little ones until they were 3
My advice is simple:
1. Buy a baby scale- don't obsess but this is great reassurance to build your confidence!
2. Get Lansinoh and put it on your nipples after EVERY feeding the first couple weeks.
3. Feed on demand- don't watch a clock- watch your baby- you will quickly get a feel for what it takes to keep your baby happy and content. You will also learn he/she hunger signals quickly.
4. It will probaby hurt at first but that passes in a few weeks- if you started sucking your finger for 4 hours a day- it would get sore too!
5. Be determined that you ARE going to do this- keep formula out of your house. I think many people approach it with the mindset of "I'll try" and that isn't enough of a commitment.
6. Look for a local LLL chapter and join now- get phone #'s & email so that you have a support network.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #25
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. Lack of Support (By family, friends and even DOCTORS -ugh)
2. availability of Formula (through doctors offices, hospitals and wic among other places)
3. vanity (this one ticks me off because a good friend of mine just had a baby in April, in May decided to have a face peel and was told she couldn't nurse when she did it, so she just decided she wouldn't nurse ever again after she made the appointment!! It made me very sad to hear it)

those are just a few reasons, but there are lots more, but those 3 really are the ones that kick me in the butt on a daily basis here at home.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #26
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

I too think part of it is because it's presented to women as a choice and they don't have enough faith that it is something their body was made to do. I really wish people would look at it more like delivery, it's something that is going to be hard but that we are made for and meant to do, yes there are c/s for emergencies and there should be formula for emergencies but it is not a logical option if uneccessary. I know part of it is our culture too, but we are responsible for changing that and by educating ourselves and believing in ourselves we can do that.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #27
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the responses above, but I will throw in my

Definatly the L&D/recovery nurses in the hospitals. Some are very pushy, very non-nurturing, very abrasive. Some just literally grab your boob and shove it in your baby's mouth and don't explain what they're doing and why. To some people it's a BIG turn off and makes for a bad experience.
I don't think there's enough support for women w/ latch issues aside from shields. Pain is the most common complaint I hear from friends who didn't BF. Engorgement was probably my biggest issue and until I had #4 did I even figure out how to work with it effectively. When I had #5 I was able to breeze through engorgement but got stuck when I encountered supply issues.
Something that probably will NEVER change is the association w/ sexuality and breasts and not motherhood. I felt weird putting my first baby to my breast. I had only seen a couple ppl breastfeed in my lifetime and it wasn't something my OB talked to me about. I think that OBs should set up a time or a consult w/ an LC before the baby comes and give out informational kits, 800#s, LLL#s, websites, etc. for help and resources. Breastfeeding should be a natural thing and to many, many new moms it isn't. I know several moms who have never breastfed and just chose not to even try it. Their babies have been bottle fed since birth and that's what they've chosen. Why?? There has to be some reason... Anyway, just my
Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #28
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriemarie View Post
This might end up being a long rant. Hope not.

First off, the average age of motherhood is getting lower and lower. My sister's FOURTEEN year old friend just had a baby...and another of her friends (15) is getting married next week and having a baby any time after that.
The younger girls don't want their boobs to sag and don't want to be tied to a baby. They expect their mommies to help raise the baby for them, and they want their freedom. They don't understand that when you make the adult decision to have sex, you have to make the adult decision to care for a child.
From experience, I can tell you that the WIC clinics in my area do NOT push breastfeeding like they should. They simply ask if you're going to...and if you say no they leave it at that.

NOT ANYMORE! I start training this week as an LLL Peer Counselor. My job will be to go to the 3 WIC clinics I've been assigned and train new moms/pregnant moms on the GOOD things about breastfeeding. This is an attempt for Louisiana to get the majority of moms to stop using formula and start breastfeeding.

I'm 25. When I bring my son in, and say I'm still nursing (he's 13.5 months)...the WIC nurses are in shock. They assume that because I'm a young mom I don't nurse.

Formula is so readily available to the younger moms. If you have a child and you're under 18, you automatically get Medicaid unless your parents make too much money. Most of the time this isn't the case. If you get Medicaid, you automatically get free formula.

I'm not saying anything negative about formula. My first son was only formula fed...but only because I didn't have much success with breastfeeding b/c the hospital I had him at didn't have Lactation Consultants. By the time I realized something was wrong it was too late and my milk had dried up. My second son is breastfed, but also got formula on occasion.

If WIC does what they're saying they're going to do...and make pregnant women that apply for WIC take a class on breastfeeding....it JUST might make a difference.
My WIC office is only open one day a month (2nd tuesday of the month) and its funny you mention that they don't push breastfeeding... because my last appointment. Love her to death, but the social worker I had actually asked me what I was going to do when this baby was born and I didn't have a WIC appointment for over a month afterwards??? I simply told her that if I needed a pump, I would give her a call- especially if the baby is a preemie, and if Something else were to come up I could leave her a message but I am nursing this one too and she won't need anything. She kind of got that suprised look on her face and said, " you exclusively breast feed from the beginning?" I said, "yep, unless something very serious happens, because with DS 2 he was on formula until he was 4 years old mainly because WIC will not do soy milk/ almond milk etc; and DS 3 was breast fed but I did ask for 2 cans a month of formula - I did this because I had PPD with my 2nd and was afraid I would be going back to the hospital and need serious meds for the condition that escilated way too far with my 2nd-- however, I also informed her that all of that formula later went to the food bank so another child could use it, she just smiled and said okay... then to make her feel a bit better, I said if something happens, I see the Pediatrician several times before I see you again, and she wouldn't let a baby starve to death. -LOL, but its true Formula is so easy to come by that its rediculous, yet in my state, you can get formula Free but a breast pump isn't part of medicaid or WIC (unless you have a preemie or other major problem, and even so, those are very limited in availabiltiy) I was given priority for one with #3 because of the allergies #2 suffered that caused him to "die" within 24 hours of birth- he was revived, is perfectly healthy now, as well as the type of formula he was on that WIC paid for when my diet had to go to practically no nourishment to get the items he was allergic to out of my milk. So I did get a pump with my 3rd because of that. We shall see this time!!
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #29
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I had both of my babies at a hospital that makes a lot of effort to be seen as pro-breastfeeding. But 2 things:

1) The quality of the help from the nurses varies a LOT. As a pp said, the lactaction consultants are only there M-F 8-5. I had my second on a Friday morning and checked out Sunday afternoon, never saw a LC. Good thing I didn't need one! The nurses -- from both experiences, some were awesome, some were bad. If you happen to have a bad one at the moment you're having problems, you're sunk. I had one nurse push nipple shields on me (had nothing to do with the problem). I had one nurse ask me if I'd read up on the "benefits of formula feeding," and suggest that formula might help me get my 36-hour-old daughter on "a better schedule." (She was appalled that I was nursing on demand, despite the fact that ALL of the literature the hospital had given me said to do so!) I think nurses also make breastfeeding stressful, because they are so driven to chart things, so you have to have the "right" answer when they ask how often the baby's nursing, for how long, etc. Give the "wrong" answer and they start pushing formula.

2) Both times, I have run into doctors making rounds who thought that breastfeeding was great & all, but didn't see any problems with giving a little formula, to help fill the baby up, to raise his blood sugar (figured out later that was not necessary in our case), because he's jaundiced, etc. They do not seem to grasp the risks of introducing ANY formula, or the damage it can do to the breastfeeding relationship and the new mother's confidence. My first son had formula without my consent within 24 hours of birth, and we always had a rocky breastfeeding relationship until he weaned at 7 months. With my daughter, I went in ready to fight, and good thing because I had to. She is 3 months old and no formula ever.

Like I said, this was a hospital that makes a big deal about their breastfeeding support.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #30
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Many MANY women do not understand or value the delicate nature of their milk supply. They don't prepare themselves ahead of time with facts, so they can tell the BS from the truth when everyone starts giving unsolicited advice.

Doctors, friends, family, strangers - all tell new moms to supplement for a million reasons (none of which make sense) and after a few weeks of this their milk supply goes way down. I have heard so many people say "I just dried up and couldn't nurse any more, my body just doesn't make that much milk" etc., but if you ask for more details you find they were supplementing with formula the whole time.

You have to have your mind totally made up to breastfeed 100% of the time before your baby is born, or you will probably not make it. The number of moms who are that committed from the get-go is reflected in the statistics.